Updating brakes, help requested

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
NobleTruths
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: TX

Updating brakes, help requested

Post by NobleTruths »

Be patient with me guys, I need lots of help (at least, my ex-wife keeps telling me that). :lol:

I recently purchased a 1968 Dodge Travco 270 motorhome that I am remodeling, which is based on a P375 cab forward chassis, and I want to upgrade from drum to disc brakes...at least for the front wheels, if not all. A 10,000 GVW on drums bothers me. I am a member of Travcoforum.com, but no one has made such a conversion that I can identify, and felt you guys could help the most.

Some additional information about this Travco. Even though it is a 1968 model with a build completion date of March 1968, I suspect that the chassis/etc is 1967, although I don't know if that is critical to my needs. The reason for my suspicion is that it has the 318 Poly engine, and I thought they changed to the LA in 1968. Also, my Travco has the Garrett power steering assist, which (again) may or may not be critical to this issue. It has a dual Hydro-Vac braking system. Rims are 8-lug, 16 inch.

In the Travco forum, it was suggested that the entire front axle would need to be swapped out, and maybe the master cylinder and other components. But from from type of donor for the appropriate GVW, and where to source the parts, becomes less clear. In addition, I would like to change from the transmission e-brake system to one that operates to the brakes themselves.

If anyone has done this type of conversion, or knows what parts, etc, etc, I would be most appreciative.

Hhmmm....tried to attach pictures without success.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Updating brakes, help requested

Post by dodgeboykim »

NobleTruths wrote:Be patient with me guys, I need lots of help (at least, my ex-wife keeps telling me that). :lol:

I recently purchased a 1968 Dodge Travco 270 motorhome that I am remodeling, which is based on a P375 cab forward chassis, and I want to upgrade from drum to disc brakes...at least for the front wheels, if not all. A 10,000 GVW on drums bothers me. I am a member of Travcoforum.com, but no one has made such a conversion that I can identify, and felt you guys could help the most.

Some additional information about this Travco. Even though it is a 1968 model with a build completion date of March 1968, I suspect that the chassis/etc is 1967, although I don't know if that is critical to my needs. The reason for my suspicion is that it has the 318 Poly engine, and I thought they changed to the LA in 1968. Also, my Travco has the Garrett power steering assist, which (again) may or may not be critical to this issue. It has a dual Hydro-Vac braking system. Rims are 8-lug, 16 inch.

In the Travco forum, it was suggested that the entire front axle would need to be swapped out, and maybe the master cylinder and other components. But from from type of donor for the appropriate GVW, and where to source the parts, becomes less clear. In addition, I would like to change from the transmission e-brake system to one that operates to the brakes themselves.

If anyone has done this type of conversion, or knows what parts, etc, etc, I would be most appreciative.

Hhmmm....tried to attach pictures without success.

Poly motor could have been put into the 67/68 chassis due to failure and poly motor availability. I have seen that done a few times over the years. Canada the poly was used in 67 models and changed to LA series during year.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Over the years on the forums people have mentioned that 70s Dodge motorhomes had disc brakes on the front I-beam axle. This may be your best source for conversion parts. I don't know if any of it is a direct swap.

NobleTruths
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by NobleTruths »

soopernaut wrote:Over the years on the forums people have mentioned that 70s Dodge motorhomes had disc brakes on the front I-beam axle. This may be your best source for conversion parts. I don't know if any of it is a direct swap.
That may be true, but with fewer than 5000 made per year, it is hard to find one being parted out. I was hoping people who have D/P/W300-500's might have other options available.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Semis have run drums very successfully for decades. A well-serviced drum set-up will work fine, even in today's traffic.

But, like said above, check with early to mid-'70s Winnebago rigs. Disc brakes can be found there. Far as rears go, the most economical way to go there would be to source a complete disc-brake rear from a late-model truck or motor home of similar size, along with the master cylinder and brake booster. That's how I'd go.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Travco's are AWESOME!!!

I have a '78 Beach-Craft 27' class A motorhome (440-3, 727 auto tranny), it's built on a '77 Dodge M-500 chassis.
It is quite common that the issue year of the motor home coach was a year (or two) after the chassis build year.
So it is necessary to get the frame serial number (the Dodge #) to know exactly what you are starting with... methnks it will be on the frame rail under the passenger side front wheel well. Scrape the side of the frame clean - forward of axle, behind front spring shackle mount.

Once you know that, and confirm the P-375 chassis, you will be able to better find potential disc-brake replacements.

Also, check out CWVRV for other vintage RV restorations, resto-mods, full mods, etc... Might even find someone who's done this for your chassis, and/or who has parts. I'm on there, too :salut

Walt
1971 W200: green, built 360/NP435 4-spd, daily driver, 4.10 gears
1971 D100: "Dude" Super Banana Yellow, 318/727
1970 D100: Adventurer Sport, Red, 318/727, AC, pb, extra fuel tanks, and aluminum tailgate trim - all factory original.
1970 D200: light blue, 383/NP435 4-speed, 4.10 gears
1970 D200: Crewcab, brown, 318/727, pb, short Utiline box, Dana 60 (rear), 4.10 ratio gears
1969 W200: Crewcab, yellow, 440/435 4-speed, pb, short Utiline box, HD Dana 44 (front), Dana 60 (rear) 4.88 gears
1969 D100: Adventurer, brown, 383/727, pb, extra fuel tanks
1969 D100: Adventurer, medium blue, LA-318/727
1966 W200: Green, A-318/NP435 4-speed, NP201 Trxfr Case, 4.10 gears Powr Lok rear
1965 D200: Crewcab, turquoise, A-318/727 dash shift, Sweptline box
1964 W200: Green, A-318/NP435 4-speed, NP201 Trxfr Case, 4.10 gears Powr Lok rear

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

if you have the dual hydravac boosters and good brake shoes it will stop just as good as disk. the rear does most the work in a vehicle like that. The rear drums are at least 13 inch and with the hydravac boosters tons of power. Like others have said if you really want disk then front axle out of 70s MH probably best option and could find same log pattern as well. nothing that big has rear disk until the 2000s maybe the 90s. Disk don't really have more power they just require no adjustment. Drums were undersized on many cars and light trucks back in the day but drums on a MH are plenty big.