Axle Flip Results

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
abody
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kissimmee
State: FL

Re: Axle Flip Results

Post by abody »

I think in reference to your drawing specifically, were you to add additional springs above the main spring the axle will be lifted closer to the body.. as each spring width is say a 1/4 inch, each additional spring added will decrease the space between the axle and the frame in 1/4 inch increments.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

soopernaut wrote:
slick wrote:Adding the leaf springs will raise it up.
How would adding springs to the bottom of the pack raise it up? At first I thought it would lower even further before I visualized it, but came to the conclusion it will not change the ride height. Adding springs above the main spring would lower the vehicle just like adding a lowering block would, but one would probably not add any springs above the main spring in a spring under situation.

The spring points at the hangers/shackles are at a fixed height and will not change. The axle is at a fixed height directly on top of the main spring and will not change. Any springs added to the bottom will not change any of these fixed points.
The statement "The axle is at a fixed height directly on top of the main spring and will not change.'' is false.
The function of springs is to allow the axle to move up and down as well as support load. As you subtract leafs from a leaf pack,its load bearing ability decreases causing the arc of the spring to flatten.(of course adding leafs above the main spring is pure nonsence). Adding leafs back will restore the ark with relation to load.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Exactly what Doug said...
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

digdoug wrote: The statement "The axle is at a fixed height directly on top of the main spring and will not change.'' is false.
The function of springs is to allow the axle to move up and down as well as support load. As you subtract leafs from a leaf pack,its load bearing ability decreases causing the arc of the spring to flatten.(of course adding leafs above the main spring is pure nonsence). Adding leafs back will restore the ark with relation to load.
I know the axle will move up and down during driving[obviously] but it is fixed in the sense that adding more springs will not change its position in relation to the frame. Do you really think adding a leaf or 2 to the bottom of the pack is going to change the arc enough to lift the truck a noticeable amount?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

soopernaut wrote:Do you really think adding a leaf or 2 to the bottom of the pack is going to change the arc enough to lift the truck a noticeable amount?
It would depend on the length, thickness/rigidity and arc of the springs added.
John

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Exactly what John said...
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote:
soopernaut wrote:Do you really think adding a leaf or 2 to the bottom of the pack is going to change the arc enough to lift the truck a noticeable amount?
It would depend on the length, thickness/rigidity and arc of the springs added.
John
So if this is the rationale, one could argue that adding flatter springs would lower the truck or adding springs with a specific curvature will have no effect. Basically adding springs will either lift, lower or not change the vehicle height at all.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

With no weight on the truck its going to be the same height regardless. As soon as you put the truck back on the ground the truck is going to squat. How much depends on the sprng rate. If you have 1 leaf on there its going to compress. Add a few more leaf springs and it won't compress as much.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

shelbynut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Toronto eh
State: Foreign

Post by shelbynut »

66patrick wrote:When you flip an axle with no other mods, you have less than a half-inch of suspension travel. Ask me how I know. Zero ride quality. Looks great, rides like crap. You are FAR and away better off by putting that axle back where it needs to be and instead get you stock axle modded with a two or three-inch drop from Sid's. My lowered truck (3" Sid's drop, stock springs with all of the leaves intact!) rides beautifully, NO bumpsteer (with a modded Pitman arm), and does not bottom out.

On the rear, the axle is left in the stock position, but the rear spring mounts are extended three inches for a three-inch rear drop. Again, the springs are left alone! I have a very nice-driving, three-inch dropped truck that is still usable as a truck.

Top is the spring hanger for the rear spring three-inch drop. Bottom is the stock spring hanger.
Did you make those rear spring hangers yourself? If not, where can I get a pair?
69 D-100
Rust Free Arizona Body
73 Polara Front Clip, T-Bar Suspension, Disc Brakes, Cop Box
Original 318 +30, 360 Magnum heads, Procomp Airgap Intake, Holley 4BBL, 727, 8 3/4" w/3.73 Suregrip

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

digdoug wrote:
soopernaut wrote:
slick wrote:Adding the leaf springs will raise it up.
How would adding springs to the bottom of the pack raise it up? At first I thought it would lower even further before I visualized it, but came to the conclusion it will not change the ride height. Adding springs above the main spring would lower the vehicle just like adding a lowering block would, but one would probably not add any springs above the main spring in a spring under situation.

The spring points at the hangers/shackles are at a fixed height and will not change. The axle is at a fixed height directly on top of the main spring and will not change. Any springs added to the bottom will not change any of these fixed points.
The statement "The axle is at a fixed height directly on top of the main spring and will not change.'' is false.
thats what i was thinking. adding a leaf back will keep the spring from flattening which in turn will raise the rear some. it will also hold weight better too.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ya, putting a wife in the bed of the truck will lower it substantially more than a girlfriend, unless u add overload springs.