Mustang II IFS

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flowery Branch
State: GA

Mustang II IFS

Post by 1969Gracie »

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I've been doing a LOT of reading. Really glad to have found this forum. Well currently I'm in the middle of deciding which company to buy a Mustang kit from. Only specific companies are Fatman and JW Rod Garage. Wanting to know if the guys that currently have this kit have had any issues whatsoever. I've that about flipping the front, but the handling isn't great. I was leaning to Sid's, but rebuilding my power steering system and converting to rotors will have me pretty close to a new mustang kit. I know Crown Vic's are popular but at the same time, once your done installing all new bushings and brakes, its still a bit of money. I'm open to all ideas, but I believe I'm pretty firm on the Mustang II. Thanks for your time. This of course is the beginning of a lengthy build.

Jeremy.

bamm67d100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Scotts Valley
State: CA

Re: Mustang II IFS

Post by bamm67d100 »

I have the Fatman kit on my truck. The parts are well made but I didn't care for the fit not their customer service. If I could do it again I would probably get a setup from Scotts Hot Rods.

1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1969Gracie »

I have heard of terrible customer service from Fatman. I'll look into Scott's and give them a call this week. How's the ride of the kit?

bamm67d100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bamm67d100 »

1969Gracie wrote:I have heard of terrible customer service from Fatman. I'll look into Scott's and give them a call this week. How's the ride of the kit?
The ride is amazing.

1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1969Gracie »

Good to know, do you have power steering with a stock column?

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

I have the JW Rod Garage crossmember, but I have JW Rod Garage components. I had a few issues with the rack not being wide enough for the frontend, but I think that is because I mismatched parts. My tierods clear the frame by about 1/2". I have heard guys with the Fatman have to notch the frame. Not sure if that's just the bagged trucks or not.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29967&start=220
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

bamm67d100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bamm67d100 »

slick wrote:I have the JW Rod Garage crossmember, but I have JW Rod Garage components. I had a few issues with the rack not being wide enough for the frontend, but I think that is because I mismatched parts. My tierods clear the frame by about 1/2". I have heard guys with the Fatman have to notch the frame. Not sure if that's just the bagged trucks or not.

We put a spacer between the crossmember and the frame and notched it from the top to keep the geometry the same. If we were to have installed it as Fatman intended we would have had to notch the frame for the rack and move the motor up almost 3 inches. Which would have probably required tunneling the cab.

1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1969Gracie »

slick wrote:I have the JW Rod Garage crossmember, but I have JW Rod Garage components. I had a few issues with the rack not being wide enough for the frontend, but I think that is because I mismatched parts. My tierods clear the frame by about 1/2". I have heard guys with the Fatman have to notch the frame. Not sure if that's just the bagged trucks or not.

I read your thread slick and see what you mean. I don't plan on lowering the front past 5 inches, so I hope notching the frame is not required. I spoke with Chris at Scott's Hot Rod and they said they've had a lot of Restomod shops leaving Fatman and switching to them. Whether its true or him selling his products, who knows. Their base kit starts at $2495 with coil overs. Rack and Pinion (new not reman) $250 with lifetime warranty. P/S Lines $140, and Sway Bar $289 (forgot to ask on size, waiting on e-mail response). So total $3174 plus shipping. I can probably do without P/S lines and make them myself for less. But I think the rack might be a good deal being new with lifetime warranty. Just wondering if its a T-Bird rack like all the other kits. If I could get a part number, I can get a deal through the shop I work at, I wouldn't mind if its a reman if it saves me over a hundred bucks.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I had a typo, my components are Full tilt street rods. I would definitely look into the JW Rod Garage, I think its about 1/2 that price.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1969Gracie »

I agree Slick, it really does look well engineered and has a nice finish, but the price is to high! JW Rod Garage has good reviews and and even better price. The extra $1000+ can go to a lot of use. If it was a show truck I would lean towards Scotts, but the performance of JW I'm sure is on par with the other leaders. I'm going with the coil overs and power rack. I'm going to change the column as well. My truck was a 3 on the Tree, but I'm buying a A833w/OD next week and will be floor shifted. I'll see how things go, but an Ididit column would be nice( tilt and telescopic).

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

meh!

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: oxnard

Post by scottshotrods »

Hello to all here this will be my first post I work for Scotts hotrods In Oxnard Ca.We do not bash anyone out there we explain our products to all of our customers.There are some points you want know for sure

1.Scotts Products are made in the USA
2.Scotts Hotrods Crossmembers are all a one piece style design make it a lot easier to install over others on the market
3.Our kits are all 100% tig welded (not mig welded)
4.Our standard ifs starts at $2,495.00 this is what you will get with the base kit
Scotts standard ifs
Manual rack
Tubular upper and lower a-arms 1 1/8 diameter 1/4 inch wall dom
Cnc machined rodends for your caster and camber adjustment
Alden American eagle coil-overs fully adjustable
Forged steel spindals
11 inch rotor
Gm caliper
Grade 8 hardware
Boxing plates
100% tig welded

We have some options
New power rack lifetime warranty $250.00 you buy the rack once and never again
Brakes Wilwood kits 12-13-14 inch rotors
Calipers 4-6 piston calipers
Torsion spline bars
Ridetech coil-overs
Bags

We are running a sale no that ends on Dec 11th you can save 13-15% off the total cost

Yes I understand there cheaper kits on the market

You want to really compare what you are getting dollar to dollar

I will say this we have the best built ifs on the market with the highest quality out there with the best price for what you will be getting in our kits

We can help you across the board on your truck with rear suspension kits as well

Let us know

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scottshotrods »

Few more points

1.Standard Sway-bar 1inch Diam solid 1018 bar
2.Crossmember is 3/16 thickness
3.Rodends cnc machined out of 304 S.S
4.A-arms 1 1/8 diam 1/4 inch wall dom
5.Bolts are all grade 8 hardware
6.A-arm bolts are 5/8 diam
7.Crosstubes that secure the A-arms in place are made out of 1 1/8 diam solid 1018 bar
8.100% tig welded
9.Spindals forged steel (Not Cast)
10.All brackets are Lazer Cut ( Not Plazma Cut )

Base price $2,495.00 with manual rack and not sway-bar with the sale we are doing price will be $2,120.75 this price is not much higher than others that are mentioned on this site

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scottshotrods »

1969Gracie wrote:

I read your thread slick and see what you mean. I don't plan on lowering the front past 5 inches, so I hope notching the frame is not required. I spoke with Chris at Scott's Hot Rod and they said they've had a lot of Restomod shops leaving Fatman and switching to them. Whether its true or him selling his products, who knows. Their base kit starts at $2495 with coil overs. Rack and Pinion (new not reman) $250 with lifetime warranty. P/S Lines $140, and Sway Bar $289 (forgot to ask on size, waiting on e-mail response). So total $3174 plus shipping. I can probably do without P/S lines and make them myself for less. But I think the rack might be a good deal being new with lifetime warranty. Just wondering if its a T-Bird rack like all the other kits. If I could get a part number, I can get a deal through the shop I work at, I wouldn't mind if its a reman if it saves me over a hundred bucks.
The price you got from Chris at $3,034.00 is retail and with the line kit add $140.00 your price is $3,174.00

With the sale price the price will be $2,735.40 on the Power racks we do not discount and these racks are based off the T-bird with a higher pressure rating in the racks so you do not need to use a pressure valves at all.The best thing is they are Brand new 100%

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scottshotrods »

1969Gracie wrote:I agree Slick, it really does look well engineered and has a nice finish, but the price is to high! JW Rod Garage has good reviews and and even better price. The extra $1000+ can go to a lot of use. If it was a show truck I would lean towards Scotts, but the performance of JW I'm sure is on par with the other leaders. I'm going with the coil overs and power rack. I'm going to change the column as well. My truck was a 3 on the Tree, but I'm buying a A833w/OD next week and will be floor shifted. I'll see how things go, but an Ididit column would be nice( tilt and telescopic).

On the price you have above at $1,999.00.Does this come with a Sway-bar?

On out sale price we have now with no sway-bar $2,370.75 with a New power rack price difference will be $371.75

With a sway-bar the price will be $2,616.40 price difference will be $617.40

The difference in cost there can be seen in how we manufacture our products
A-arms are bigger in Diam
Machined rodends
Caster built into our suspension
100% tig welded
Boxing plates
Grade 8 hardware

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

Thanks for posting the info. I will say that my crossmember is not stellar by any means. Pretty thin guage metal, No sway bar, control arms are standard diameter. Had I known of yours before I bought mine I would definitely have considered it. It sounds well built. Again thanks for posting the info, it's nice to have some support for these trucks..
One more thing to note, my truck has limited travel with this set up. Between the short stroke of the shocks and the balljoints maxing out. It also, seems to toe in when it's aired out. I will have to play with it once I get it back together.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scottshotrods »

slick wrote:Thanks for posting the info. I will say that my crossmember is not stellar by any means. Pretty thin guage metal, No sway bar, control arms are standard diameter. Had I known of yours before I bought mine I would definitely have considered it. It sounds well built. Again thanks for posting the info, it's nice to have some support for these trucks..
One more thing to note, my truck has limited travel with this set up. Between the short stroke of the shocks and the balljoints maxing out. It also, seems to toe in when it's aired out. I will have to play with it once I get it back together.
All good let me know if you need any help.So you do know we are the first company who built a ifs with Bags in this industry over 24 years ago.Our Ifs that is built with bags is deigned for bags not a universal
Our ifs with bags is called a Scotts superslam ifs
On your ifs that you got with bags is a general mustang II with the springs gone and bags in place.This why you are having the issues you are

1969Gracie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 1969Gracie »

On the price you have above at $1,999.00.Does this come with a Sway-bar?

On out sale price we have now with no sway-bar $2,370.75 with a New power rack price difference will be $371.75

With a sway-bar the price will be $2,616.40 price difference will be $617.40

The difference in cost there can be seen in how we manufacture our products
A-arms are bigger in Diam
Machined rodends
Caster built into our suspension
100% tig welded
Boxing plates
Grade 8 hardware[/quote]

Thanks for the response!! The $1,999 is coil overs with power rack. Away bay is another $140, and P/S another $70. Their racks are new as well, but I dont believe they offer lifetime warranty. Their website is quite vague compared to yours. No details in quality, material, finish or assembly. This is a worry especially for tech support and installation. This being said, Scott's products are worth the extra $500 and change. This is something I want to install and never have to worry about other than maintenance. Thanks again for explaining your product to all of us!

scottshotrods
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scottshotrods »

To add our Coil-overs that come standard on our ifs are Alden American Eagle made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty and all manufactured parts made by Scotts have a lifetime warranty