Parking Brake Will Not Release

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
bbishop
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Parking Brake Will Not Release

Post by bbishop »

Need some help. When I disengage my parking brake, the springs don't seem to have enough strength to pull the cable back through and release the brake band from the drum (it's a transfer case mounted parking brake). I've pulled the cable out of the truck and soaked it in evapo-rust to try and make the cable move more freely. I've also added some spacers at the return springs on the brake band to pre-load them. At this point, it's set up so that, when the brake is engaged, the springs are fully compressed and pushing back as much as they can. Still not luck, brake band stays tight on the drum when I release the lever in the cab.

1 - Can anyone tell me how easy the brake cable is supposed to slide? Right now it takes a a fair amount of force for me to pull it back and forth within the coiled sheath that it runs in.

2 - Has anyone had this problem before? Did you go with stronger springs, or replace the cable entirely?

Any help is appreciated.

Buddy

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Re: Parking Brake Will Not Release

Post by allsupj »

The brake cable should slide with little resistance. Sharp bends, rust and hardened lube are the things that I have found. The evapo-rust works well to remove rust if it can get to it. In the past I have removed cables and hung then up and used wd-40 through the top working the cable and adding more wd-40 just to free them up. Then I try to work oil down through the same way and then try to work some grease, white lithium, or similar and least at the ends to seal out water. Good luck

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: Parking Brake Will Not Release

Post by Kaegi »

kinda sounds like the band is rusted to the drum. can you tap on it and see if breaks loose?