Simple brake pedal resto

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Simple brake pedal resto

Post by hitparader »

This is probably the simplest writeup you'll ever see, but while I was redoing my brakes I decided to yank out the pedal and take a few hours to clean it up. I found a couple interesting things so thought I would post these few pics.

The pedal assembly is really simple, it hangs on a thick pivot shaft with a return spring above. For manual trans trucks the clutch pedal swings on the same shaft. On auto trucks a spacer replaces the clutch pedal on the shaft. Thin plastic bushings keep the pedals quiet and from rusting to the shaft.

Here's what 50 years of foot crud looks like. The pedal assembly was painted body color, but hard to tell now. The factory probably took 3 seconds to spray down here as it's mostly overspray.

A few minutes on the wire wheel cleaned up most of the crud off the hardware.

Notice how the pivot shaft isn't a large bolt, but rather a stud with a nut welded to the top. It is super beefy. I think Canadians used these to club baby seals back in the day :lol: .

A few more minutes in the blast cabinet and the pedal itself was back to shiny metal. Wonder what the "G" on the side means.

A brake hone cleaned up some rust in the pivot hole.

The pedal rotates on these plastic bushings. Of couse these are long discontinued, but interestingly this style is used on Ram trucks up through at least 2013. But check out the size difference between these and similar bushings from a modern Ram truck. The new pivot shafts must be about half the thickness.

Once cleaned up, a little primer and a blast of Tor Red and we are back in business. Now ready to mate to Wayne's new booster/master cyl.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Simple brake pedal resto

Post by 712edf »

Nice work!

I have a W500 cab in which there is NO getting that shaft out.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands
State: TX

Post by longbed67 »

:Thumbsup

big66440
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LA/CA

Post by big66440 »

Did you end up replacing the plastic bushing?
1966 SWB D100 poly318, 3 on the tree , 8 3/4

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Hello, no I just soaked them in Simple Green for a bit to clean them, then polished with 800 grit sandpaper. There are NOS ones on eBay, but quite expensive.