New wheels, strange vibration. Please help.

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
sfremmert
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tulsa
State: OK

New wheels, strange vibration. Please help.

Post by sfremmert »

Hello all. I just installed new aftermarket wheels on my 1965 D200 and I have a question. When I'm driving down the road between 35-45mph I get a vibration that wasn't there before. I just had all 4 wheels rebalanced (after 1 day) and this improved it,(now it vibrates between 30-35) but did not eliminate it. Before 30mph it does not vibrate, and after 35mph it does not vibrate. Do I need to re torque these in a specific pattern to eliminate the vibration? I was considering the difference between hub centric and lug centric may be the issue. Has anyone tried hub rings to achieve proper balance. The 20x9 looks and fits great, but I want to be safe. Thanks in advance for your input.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New wheels, strange vibration. Please help.

Post by Hobcobble »

What is the bolt circle dimension on the after market wheels? What
diameter stud are they compatible with?
John :study :2cents

sfremmert
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sfremmert »

They are 8x6.5, with a 5.15in hub bore. If your talking about the actual bolt stud hole, I'm not certain, I'd probably have to call the manufacturer.

Oshork67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Haven
State: CT

Post by Oshork67 »

Usually when it's a specific mph range it's a balance issue. First try to isolate the vibration do you feel it in the steering wheel or through out the truck? Then pull the 2 rims most likely off and check for excessive weight. If you find one with a ton of weight have it rebalanced make sure they spin it with the balancer cover up to check for a hop in the tire or a bent rim. I've seen new tires have a bad belt that causes a hop and throws off the balancer also new rims bent from being dropped in the box. Good luck

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

i had the same problem please check your drive shaft, the difference in the diameter of the wheels might increase the stress on an already well worn drive shaft , in my case it was a worn spline on the yoke, something I would have never thought of since the universals were ok, my old truck was a 70. :2cents

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

sfremmert wrote:Hello all. I just installed new aftermarket wheels on my 1965 D200 and I have a question. When I'm driving down the road between 35-45mph I get a vibration that wasn't there before. I just had all 4 wheels rebalanced (after 1 day) and this improved it,(now it vibrates between 30-35) but did not eliminate it. Before 30mph it does not vibrate, and after 35mph it does not vibrate. Do I need to re torque these in a specific pattern to eliminate the vibration? I was considering the difference between hub centric and lug centric may be the issue. Has anyone tried hub rings to achieve proper balance. The 20x9 looks and fits great, but I want to be safe. Thanks in advance for your input.
blast us a pic of those on yer truck

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

Not sure if the 1965 D200 had swedged lug bolts in the drums, i know on my 68, my lug bolts were swedged and the aftermarket wheels i installed did not fit over the swedge part of the lug bolt so that even the the lug nuts were tight, they were tight to the swedge shoulder part of the lug bolt and NOT the face of the Hub/drum (which ever part contacts the wheel, i cant remember) and it caused a slight vibration at first then got worst as the lug bolts worked themselves loose from the Hub/Drum. The factory wheel was dimpled and kept the swedge from contacting the wheel. I hope this makes sense. I had to replace the lug bolts to fix the problem because i refuse to run wheel spacers.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)

sfremmert
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sfremmert »

Thanks for all the info fellas. Sorry, its been a few nights since I've been on the computer. I switched tires and had them road force balanced, so im guessing its not the new stuff. A bent wheel or bad tire probably would have became apparent. The speed the vibration occurs seems to change a little every time the tire shop takes the wheels off and reinstalls them however it is getting better. I'll look at the drive shaft and the lugs closely next, and keep going down the list till i figure it out. Thanks again. Here is a Pic...
Attachments
IMG_6739.jpg