Best way to pull front axle?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Best way to pull front axle?

Post by hitparader »

OK, So I'll soon be replacing the leaf springs & king pins on my D100 and so might as well yank the axle out to blast and repaint everything. In the past I'd pull off the spindles and steering arms, remove the u-Bolts and drop the axle, then pull out the springs. But I was watching one of those BS resto shows on Velocity, the kind where they act like they do a frame-off resto in like 12 minutes, and they just dropped the entire front assembly by lifting the axle slightly with a tranny jack, popping out the the spring eyebolts, and rolling the whole thing out on the drums. (I think it was an old Chebby truck). Anyone ever pull the front axle that way?

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: Best way to pull front axle?

Post by wally426ci »

Up to you but I did my king pins separately due to time. Doing both at once is a good idea. Either way, I would think it would be safer to support the truck and then jack the axle to the point that the leaf springs are not under pressure. grove the u bolts and then pull the axle out. Springs separate..... :thinking

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Re: Best way to pull front axle?

Post by hitparader »

Thanks. Yeah that's the way I did it once before, just wanted to make sure I wasn't too old-school about it.