Chassis swap for crew cab

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jason1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hinton
State: OK

Chassis swap for crew cab

Post by jason1 »

I would like to put my 1965 crew cab body on a 2000 or newer chassis. What would be the easiest donor pickup to use?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Chassis swap for crew cab

Post by soopernaut »

I don't think anyone here has actually used a truck that new for a frame donor. There is this truck: http://www.acquiremag.com/cars/icon-dodge-power-wagon

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Ive looked into it. The hardest part is the engine to front axle setback. Its definitely doable, depending on your skill and time. If you look at the Icon dodge truck build you can see where they stretched the wheelwell opening in the front to accommodate the wheelbase while leaving the megacab frame/motor mounts in their stock location. Several guys have done the 93 and older frame swap. Guess it depends on what your after 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 2wd or 4wd...
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

jason1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jason1 »

Would it be a big job to shorten a newer model long wheel base crew cab to the correct wheel base of the 65?

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon
State: CO

Post by gww »

there's a great spot to shorten and lengthen the boxed frame under the seat area, if you step your cuts inside an out you would have no problems with strength. of course depending on weld skill and exact measurements and cuts. not sure theres anything photo wise to help you but here is a front hard hit 99 frame i used the back of and a rear 2000 hard hit rear i used the front of to make a frame for our 71 crew cab. as far as the tire in the wheel well being centered it can be done. its shoe horned in using 4b parts for the fan and idler . and if you intend on using a air to air, or water to air cooler youll need to be creative.
http://s344.photobucket.com/user/Dezel_ ... 00%20build
hope something is something there to help. gary
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

jason1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jason1 »

Thanks, That helps a lot see what you did on your conversion and what can be done. It looks like it will be a fun pickup to drive and turn heads.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

Damn Gary I forgot about your truck. That thing is awesom! Goes to show you that anything is doable if you have the vision and skills..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon
State: CO

Post by gww »

slick wrote:Damn Gary I forgot about your truck. That thing is awesom! Goes to show you that anything is doable if you have the vision and skills..
hey howdy,, hope your doing good. hows your projects coming? have quite a few more photos on our home computer that has been down for some time. always somewhere else to put money. hope soon to find someone to retrieve stuff off of it and get photos onto the photo deal. have been sneaking around in it here lately, think im gonna enjoy it, seems like a good driver. still have alot of things to finish. ended up useing a water to air cooler using the engine coolant as a charge air temp control. i m sure a separate rad. an fan under the bed would cool better but want to test it this way first. cummins 855s and other engines used engine coolant to air (aftercoolers) for many years prior to air to air. maybe i can get by with it. after all the bugs and changes are done maybe / maybe not she,ll see some paint. thanks for the kind words. take care. gary
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by slick »

I look forward to seeing the progress. I'm content with the Magnum 5.2 for now, but still long to have the Cummins in it :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta