Steering box with different worm bearing adjuster?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Steering box with different worm bearing adjuster?

Post by hitparader »

I was looking through an attic of an old boneyard this weekend and found a Saginaw 525 steering gear that has the same casting # as the one on our Swepties, but instead of a hex nut worm nut adjuster it had a flat face with two round indentations. I looked online and found some reman units have this also. What's the difference and do you need a special tool to turn this style adjuster?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: Steering box with different worm bearing adjuster?

Post by earlymopar »

hitparader wrote:I was looking through an attic of an old boneyard this weekend and found a Saginaw 525 steering gear that has the same casting # as the one on our Swepties, but instead of a hex nut worm nut adjuster it had a flat face with two round indentations. I looked online and found some reman units have this also. What's the difference and do you need a special tool to turn this style adjuster?

I' don't know about other differences of when this one came about but that style of nut is turned by a pin-spanner. This is a C-shape with 2-Pins and the handle extends from the center of the C-shape. They're easy to make as well.

- EM

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

My 62 W100 had that style box when i bought it. All my other trucks had the common other style. Maybe it is based on year?
I bought a rebuilt steering box from "Buy Auto Parts" and had nothing but problems. The sector shaft (shaft coming out of the side of the box) bushing was so worn out on both boxes that I received from them. When you turned the wheel, the shaft would noticeably move front to back on the truck. I returned both boxes and they then checked with their rebuilder later to find that both boxes had an unacceptable amount of play. Be aware.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara

Post by hitparader »

Thanks. Yeah I was not planning on buying from that outfit, I just saw that image online and wanted to use that photo as an example. I made sure it wasn't linked to their site as I didn't want anyone to think it was a real banner ad. It was just the first photo of that type I found.

This used one I got seems in good shape, I guess I can also swap that top adjuster from my current one if I want it to be visually correct.