Power Steering "Wedge Shims"

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Power Steering "Wedge Shims"

Post by riffraff »

I was reading a "for sale" ad, and someone mentioned "wedge shims" for power steering set ups. My truck was retro-fitted with P/S, and does not have any wedge shims. Searching the board, I noticed only a couple people mentioned them. Does anyone happen to have a pair of wedge shims or more info?

My truck drives fine, but I'm curious now.
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Power Steering "Wedge Shims"

Post by Hobcobble »

riffraff wrote:I was reading a "for sale" ad, and someone mentioned "wedge shims" for power steering set ups. My truck was retro-fitted with P/S, and does not have any wedge shims. Searching the board, I noticed only a couple people mentioned them. Does anyone happen to have a pair of wedge shims or more info?

My truck drives fine, but I'm curious now.
I'm not sure that a 4WD truck requires them? :thinking :thinking
[Paging Mr. DigDoug ...... :salut :joker]
John

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I have never used or needed wedge shims in any of my 4x4 heaps.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Post by 68fish »

That was me! I had the shims for sale and sold them. My truck was a 2 wheel drive and I put the proto tech power steering conversion kit on her about 8 years ago. The truck was very difficult to keep on the road. It was a nightmare trying to pull a trailer. I was almost ready to take the power steering off. I drove it like that just untill last year when finally a friend advised me to add positive caster. I did and it was amazing the difference. I tried 4 degree and 6 degree shims, they both did about the same.

If you have aftermarket power steering on your 2 wheel drive, add 4 degrees positive caster and you will be happy with the results.

Fish