brake hose help please!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: usa
State: NY

brake hose help please!

Post by vin »

i have ordered 2 sets of brake hoses now. first set was obviously too short. second set looked like the right length and now that i went to replace them, the ends were wrong. I have a 68 w200 crew. on the front wheels, there is a short piece of hard line from the wheel cylinder to the top of the knuckle where it attaches to the flexible line with a regular flare fitting at a bracket. then the other end of the flexible line goes through a hole in the frame where it is secured to the frame with a large nut and on the other side has another flare fitting attached to it that then goes to the splitterblock/proportioning block.

pictured is the ends of the only hoses i can find, but i basically the same hose with the larger threaded end on both sides which is threaded on the outside to secure with a nut and threaded on the inside for a 7/16 flare.

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

Re: brake hose help please!

Post by cadman »

I had to use Brake Best BH4751 (same as NAPA 32102) . It's about 4" longer than what every parts store lists as the correct part. Don't know why... This hose runs from the frame (the larger end with the female thread) directly to the wheel cylinder - I don't have any hard line as you described. I have a '66 W200 with the 3000# front axle Dana 44. Hope that helps. Also hope your parts store has a good return policy.

BB
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

cadman wrote:I had to use Brake Best BH4751 (same as NAPA 32102) . It's about 4" longer than what every parts store lists as the correct part. Don't know why... This hose runs from the frame (the larger end with the female thread) directly to the wheel cylinder - I don't have any hard line as you described. I have a '66 W200 with the 3000# front axle Dana 44. Hope that helps. Also hope your parts store has a good return policy.

BB
hmm. i have a feeling every job i do is going to take some wrong part ordering first, lol!

interesting. hose straight to the wheel cylinder. so who's is original, haha? in order to replace the wheel cylinder you would have to disconnect both ends of the rubber line since the end doesnt spin. and in order to reach had to be longer than what everyone lists for your truck, or mine which can be replaced easily and the line is the correct length but the ends dont match what i have?!

my truck was originally an air force truck and my uncle said the military always had specific specs they wanted and a lot of my stuff might be different because of that, but that is just an idea.

i just realized as i typed this that i can probably use the lines i have by just using a union between the hard line from the wheel cylinder and the rubber line.

thanks for the help!

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

3000 lb axle is straight to wheel cylinder. You will have a 3500 lb axle in crew with short steel line to bracket then rubber line.
I have had 2 3500lb axles with short steel line and bracket.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

dodgeboykim wrote:3000 lb axle is straight to wheel cylinder. You will have a 3500 lb axle in crew with short steel line to bracket then rubber line.
I have had 2 3500lb axles with short steel line and bracket.
boom! thanks. just looked at the hoses on the w300 and they have the double ends like mine. thank you

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Post by allsupj »

My 3500# axle used Dorman PN H37552 hoses. Good fit on 67 W200 with Dana 44 HD large closed knuckle with hard lines between wheel cylinder and bracket then hose to frame hole.

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

allsupj wrote:My 3500# axle used Dorman PN H37552 hoses. Good fit on 67 W200 with Dana 44 HD large closed knuckle with hard lines between wheel cylinder and bracket then hose to frame hole.

Thanks! I got lucky and got a pair on rock auto listed as closeout for only $5 each!

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Welcome to the weird world of 1968 brake hoses. There are THREE possibilities in 1968, and none are particularly cheap.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

What patrick said. I had to use adapters on my D100