Changing Wheels (Maybe)

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Changing Wheels (Maybe)

Post by Hardcase »

I've been toying with the idea of changing out the stock 16" wheels on my '61 D100 for some 15" Cragar Smoothies and going wider to fill up the wheelwells some. I'm not sure, though, about what size to get or what the backspace and offset should be. I'm not even close to a decision yet, but maybe you guys can give me some advice on what I can do.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Changing Wheels (Maybe)

Post by dodgeboykim »

Just use a stock offset for a 15 x 8 Mopar steel wheel. Gonna be easy to fit wheels. :thinking

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

I did it. 15x8 and 255/60R15 fronts, 15x10 and 295/50R15 rears. There's just a bit of rub on the Pittman arm on a hard left, otherwise a perfect fit.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

That looks nice! I really like that look. :Thumbsup
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Nice.
How's that affect your straight-line driving? I've heard nasty rumors that running wider tires like that on these trucks can really make your truck wander on the road.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Hardcase »

Noelie84 wrote:Nice.
How's that affect your straight-line driving? I've heard nasty rumors that running wider tires like that on these trucks can really make your truck wander on the road.
I had 235/75r16's on it before. The new tires actually track a little better. It's a little harder turning the wheel at very slow speeds, but not too bad. I rebuilt the steering box over the winter, so it's relatively tight, and the alignment is spot on. I've only driven it on surface streets with the new tires, though, not on the highway, but at up to 45MPH, it's an easy driver. Also, I think the ride is a bit smoother, probably due to the difference between 34psi and 60psi.

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Gotcha.
Thanks!!
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore

Post by builder »

Hardcase wrote:
Noelie84 wrote:Nice.
I had 235/75r16's on it before. The new tires actually track a little better. It's a little harder turning the wheel at very slow speeds, but not too bad. I rebuilt the steering box over the winter, so it's relatively tight, and the alignment is spot on. I've only driven it on surface streets with the new tires, though, not on the highway, but at up to 45MPH, it's an easy driver. Also, I think the ride is a bit smoother, probably due to the difference between 34psi and 60psi.
TA's are super soft tires

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Cris »

Looks killer.!
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by marklein »

What psi are you running those 295's at? Too much and it will burn they center, too little and they burn the outside. Run mine at about 28 psi. Wet them down, then drive over a dry area, look at the pattern, that gives you an idea of how it's running. Looks great btw.