Front leaf springs available for the W100?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Re: Front leaf springs available for the W100?

Post by riffraff »

Looks like the bushing shell is still in the truck. It is a two-piece shell, like the two-piece rubbers and two-piece inner sleeves. I'm having a hell of a time getting them out...
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Urethane bushings for a Lifestyle era, rears, work on all 4 corners of a Sweptline. As do those for a big body muscle car like a real Charger. At least according to WideBlock and several other members who have replaced their suspension bushings. Reuse the outer shells.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by riffraff »

Well,
Finally got my spring situation all sorted out. Kudos to Bill at Alcan Spring for working with me on this--in good faith--and not abandoning me. Took one return UPS trip with the first set of springs, and one set of replacement fronts, with new top springs for the rears. I also ended up installing adjustable Rancho Shocks, which I am still dialing in. Anyway, I think we got the stance right:

Tom
1969 W100 383/435

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

It looks perfect. :Thumbsup :clap
John

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Killer truck !! wow I love it

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

I just went to a local spring shop to get a quote to have the spring bushings replaced and they thought I should get new leafs also. Said they look a little pitted on the outside, so they probably worse on the hidden spots. Quoted me $1960 to have all 4 replaced and installed. About $700 of that is for labor and u-bolts. I'll pass for now. Once I decide to address it I'll have to figure it out myself.

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by riffraff »

sledgehammer wrote:I just went to a local spring shop to get a quote to have the spring bushings replaced and they thought I should get new leafs also. Said they look a little pitted on the outside, so they probably worse on the hidden spots. Quoted me $1960 to have all 4 replaced and installed. About $700 of that is for labor and u-bolts. I'll pass for now. Once I decide to address it I'll have to figure it out myself.
I don't think I would replace leaf springs based on "look a little pitted," either. Is there anything else going on, beside bushings? Sagging?
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

On my truck I was just gonna have the leaf spring bushings replaced. My springs seem decent with the driver side only a 1/4" lower than the passenger side on the front. I've got bigger issues to tackle as I can see the frame is bent. Need to see if I can get that fixed first.

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by riffraff »

sledgehammer wrote:On my truck I was just gonna have the leaf spring bushings replaced. My springs seem decent with the driver side only a 1/4" lower than the passenger side on the front. I've got bigger issues to tackle as I can see the frame is bent. Need to see if I can get that fixed first.
1/4" is not much, IMO. You could try swapping springs side to side, just to rule out that out, or to see if that is enough (I did).

That said, my spring ordeal started out for the same reason. But, I don't think my frame is bent; I think it's just because the cross members are riveted together, and after awhile, engine torque (383 in my case), towing a trailer, age, etc, has allowed some movement. I have a shop owner (very high-end, AC Cobras, Pebble Beach, plus...) that agrees. Gotten to the point that I'll let him tweak it back someday--but I've stopped worrying about it for now.

There is a lot of experience on this board. Perhaps someone else will chime in?
Tom
1969 W100 383/435