Dana 44 Spring Mounting Question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Dana 44 Spring Mounting Question

Post by maxmac »

So the passenger side of the axles I have only use one U-bolt, on the outside. The inside mounting location for the spring has 2 bolts coming out of the top of the axles due to the way the differential housing is shaped. I put new springs on and it appears I may have a clearance issue. Do I remove one of the leaves from the spring pack or am I able to remove the bolts from the axle housing and put longer ones in there???? See pics for reference
Attachments
CS Spring Studs.jpg
CS Spring Studs Front_LOW.jpg

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Dana 44 Spring Mounting Question

Post by dodgeboykim »

They are high grade studs. They can be removed and replaced with correct length studs. Do not use bolts in that location.

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

Thanks for the info. I'll have to dig in and get these ones out. What's the easiest way to remove these without totally destroying the threads?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Thread two nuts onto the stud. Tighten them together by putting a box end wrench on the bottom nut and holding it set while turning the top nut down using @ 150 lb ft torque. Then use the box end wrench on the bottom nut to turn it out. You may need to use some PB blaster,or heat and wax to get them out,as they are bottomed in the bore many times.

Another thing I have learned when putting a newer disk braked Dodge axle in a sweptline era truck is that the newer axle has way more caster built in. You need to set the springs the same as on the newer donor truck(end for end of stock sweptline) or you will have WAY too much caster and hard steering and a steep drive shaft angle. Been there,done that...
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

Thanks for the tips guys! More updates on this build in the works!