Brake conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Maxhr190
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Encinitas
State: CA

Brake conversion

Post by Maxhr190 »

Hello,
I've just purchased a 1964 D100 CSS model truck, that is stock, the brakes need rebuilding, I am wondering if a front disk conversion is worth the time and money; I will only be using this truck for light duty use, and not driving daily. The previous owner gave me the Scarebird front conversion brackets.opinions welcome.
Thanks

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Re: Brake conversion

Post by exline »

in my opinion the disc conversion is worth it, I have never used the scarbird conversion, I made my own up with 77 Chrysler brakes but either way disc are better. the stock drum brakes on my 68 were not good even after I rebuilt them I still was not happy so I swapped to disc brakes and it is much better and when someone stops suddenly in front of me I don't feel like I am going to rear end them.
if you already have the brackets then it would be an easy answer for me, I would install the disc brakes.
:2cents

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by EarlKann »

No experience myself, but I'd bet that anyone who has done it hasn't regretted it.

X2, since you already have the brackets, you're half way there.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

There are lots of people on here with the scarebird conversion. People that actually did the scarebird will chime in. I have seen a few issues like the stock wheels may not fit or issues having a soft pedal but that was probably due to mismatched master or no prop valve. I have non scarebird power discs on mine and like them way better than the drums. Stops like a modern truck. I would do it but make sure you get the correct master, a prop valve and rod that goes to the pedal adjusted correctly.

I used a 1973 Dodge disc/drum power master and a summit prop valve and have no issues. I am not sure of all the mounting options but this one worked well for me. I also put a 5 PSI residual check valve to the drums as added protection. This is probably built into the master but I wasn't sure and it doesn't hurt to have two. The 5 PSI keeps the wheel cylinders from sucking in air.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by EarlKann »

and BTW, let us see some pics of this stock CSS! :Thumbsup

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Post by Jake66 »

im selling a complete ready to install scarebird conversion if your interested. PM and ill send you some pics if your interested. :Thumbsup
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White