rear drum brakes to disc brakes????

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

rear drum brakes to disc brakes????

Post by Jake66 »

Has anyone found a kit to convert the original rear axle from drum brakes to disc brakes?
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: rear drum brakes to disc brakes????

Post by earlymopar »

Scarebird lists a 1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "B", "C", "E" body bracket for rear disc brakes. I can envision why this wouldn't work for pickups.

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=104

- EM

pflin1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: walnut cove
State: NC

Post by pflin1 »

The brakes from 90s era jeep Cherokee's bolt straight on. The backing plate fits the rear axle housing bolt pattern. Can be had for cheap from the junkyard.

Paul

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

pflin1 wrote:The brakes from 90s era jeep Cherokee's bolt straight on.
Paul
Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I don't think any Cherokee from the 90s had rear discs. I can't find anything in a quick search about what years the GC had rear disc brakes and what years had rear drums. The GC went to a 5 on 5 bolt pattern in 1999.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

soopernaut wrote:
pflin1 wrote:The brakes from 90s era jeep Cherokee's bolt straight on.
Paul
Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I don't think any Cherokee from the 90s had rear discs. I can't find anything in a quick search about what years the GC had rear disc brakes and what years had rear drums. The GC went to a 5 on 5 bolt pattern in 1999.

Yes Grand Cherokee 98 to 99. But honestly, I can't see the need for rear discs on a truck.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

just updating my brakes. i have no idea how old my rear drums are. i have discs on the front. makes it easier when i go to do a brake job. especially if they are parts that any local parts shop will have on the shelf instead of having to special order parts.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

robertob wrote:
Yes Grand Cherokee 98 to 99. But honestly, I can't see the need for rear discs on a truck.
94-98 Grand Cherokees all had rear discs with the correct wheel lug pattern.

All new trucks come with rear disc brakes. Are disc brakes inferior somehow compared to drums?

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

not to my knowledge, id much rather have disc than drum.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

earlymopar wrote:Scarebird lists a 1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "B", "C", "E" body bracket for rear disc brakes. I can envision why this wouldn't work for pickups.

- EM
i put the scarebird kit on the back of my 64 D100, used an AAJ front disc kit, and now use a dual pot Wilwood master cylinder.

the scarebird kit was a pretty easy install but i did have to massage it a little to make everything work.

at 4500 pounds loaded my truck stops reliably every time now. no fade. no grab in wet weather driving (wet stuff happens a wee bit in FL). no more leaks down the front of my firewall. no more looking for obscure drums anymore just to be able to drive it.

i looked at the jeep GC swap and really it came down to convenience going with the scarebird. my time is limited and didn't feel like digging around the salvage yards.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

CSS-Registry wrote:
earlymopar wrote:Scarebird lists a 1965-72 Dodge, Plymouth "B", "C", "E" body bracket for rear disc brakes. I can envision why this wouldn't work for pickups.

- EM
i put the scarebird kit on the back of my 64 D100, used an AAJ front disc kit, and now use a dual pot Wilwood master cylinder.

the scarebird kit was a pretty easy install but i did have to massage it a little to make everything work.

at 4500 pounds loaded my truck stops reliably every time now. no fade. no grab in wet weather driving (wet stuff happens a wee bit in FL). no more leaks down the front of my firewall. no more looking for obscure drums anymore just to be able to drive it.

i looked at the jeep GC swap and really it came down to convenience going with the scarebird. my time is limited and didn't feel like digging around the salvage yards.

Ben

would it be a terrible inconvenience to ask for pictures of your rear brakes? so i can get an idea of how they would go together on install. :study
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

Ben[/quote]

they give a list of the parts that will fit the bracket, what are your thoughts on those parts?
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

i posted some on this site a while ago but i will see if i can find them and repost to this thread.

otherwise i will snaps some photos this weekend.

the install is fairly straight forward. i changed over to green bearings eliminating the adjustable taper bearings.

i had to tweak the brake hose mount that is built into the bracket as i did not like the way scarebird had the hose kink a little into the axle tube more than i would like.

i did not use the parking brake feature on the calipers as my 64 uses a parking drum on the back of the transmission.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

Jake66 wrote:they give a list of the parts that will fit the bracket, what are your thoughts on those parts?
if memory serves i thought the list was very helpful.

i would suggest redoing the rear brake lines on the axle to avoid adding junctions to it between the hoses. if you have a double flare tool this is fairly easy to make a clean installation.

one of the GM calipers i installed was a bit finicky to get the piston to self adjust but i was able to swap it out with my friends at the NAPA dealer where i sourced my parts.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

id appreciate it alot, got a good amount of time with a double flare tool doing my transmission lines and my brake lines when i did the scarebird conversion on the front axle.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

soopernaut wrote:
robertob wrote:
94-98 Grand Cherokees all had rear discs with the correct wheel lug pattern.

All new trucks come with rear disc brakes. Are disc brakes inferior somehow compared to drums?
Not inferior at all. But I can't imagine that there is any real, objective benefit from swapping from functioning rear drums to disc. Your front brakes do 90% of the work, especially on a pickup. On a car, I could see it but not really on a truck. As a data point, my dad's 97 Ram had rear drums, and he put 250,000 miles on that thing, much of it towing a trailer, and he never had to replace the shoes. That tells me there isn't much work for the rear drums to do.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

im coming up on needing to replace my shoes and the drum is pretty worn out as well. hence the towing around with doing a disc conversion. it will be more expensive initially but in the long run a cheaper and easier to maintain set up than the drum system. would not surprise me if my drums are original to my truck.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

Jake66 wrote:im coming up on needing to replace my shoes and the drum is pretty worn out as well. hence the towing around with doing a disc conversion. it will be more expensive initially but in the long run a cheaper and easier to maintain set up than the drum system. would not surprise me if my drums are original to my truck.

That makes sense.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

yeah my rear drums are pretty tired. :pale and for a daily driver? id like to have more readily available parts to swap out on my truck.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

pflin1 wrote:The brakes from 90s era jeep Cherokee's bolt straight on. The backing plate fits the rear axle housing bolt pattern. Can be had for cheap from the junkyard.

Paul
Do the Grand Cherokee caliper assemblies also have the parking brake integrated as part of the calipers or is that a separate assembly?

- EM

flyinbrick68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: north platte
State: NE

Post by flyinbrick68 »

i did the gran cherokee swap my 99 cherokee the emergency brake attaches to the backing plate and uses shoes similar to a drum set up. same concept applies the inside of rotor to set the brake...