steering box adjustment

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

steering box adjustment

Post by wideblock »

ok, im going to boldly go where i was afraid to before. i have a pretty good wander to my front end. even after the complete rebuild. well, everything but the box was rebuilt. i have adjusted the output shaft, up till now i thought it was the only adjustment. it helped a little, turned it in till the steering didnt feel right and then backed it out till it did. not sure if this is the right way, but its what i did. now, after a long conversation with dear old dad, i realize that the big nut on the top of the box is the worm gear adjustment. yes, im a little slow sometimes! anyway, tomorrow im going to play with it a bit and see if i can get some of the slack out. is there a trick, a feel, or anything i need to know ahead of time? i know the book says special tool this, inch pound torque wrench that, but i dont have these items. so is going by feel alright, or should i leave it up to a pro??
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Portsmouth RI

Post by farmhand66css »

Trey, I too get alot of wandering in the front end. hard to keep it in the lane sometimes. I am having the king pins done on tuesday, I picked up new tie rod ends and ordered new drag link. goiung to ca-hange the wheel bearings too this weekend. let me know how you make out with your steering adjustment.

Matt
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i killed 90% of my wander with the new tie rods, steering link, king pins, inner and outer bearings, and an alignment. then i killed about another 5%when i filled the steering box with lubriplate white lithium grease. try all these and let me know how much wander you have left. the lubriplate is a bit tricky, squirt in as much as possible, then drive it a few days to let it settle out, then add some more, repeat as needed to get the box full. when dad told me this is what KBR uses in all there cat transmissions now, as well as any of there gear boxs, and there maintenance has dropped 48% since they started doing this, i was sold. been running it in mine for close to 3 years now with no sign of the wander getting worse. as far as the adjustmnent goes, i have read the thing so many times i feel like i have already done it. but as of yet, with the kids here, i havent had the time. it did real well on the trip to houston, after everything was greased up, filled up, rotated, balanced, etc... etc.... so for now, it has become one of those, "when i get to it" issues of little importance. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100