All Mopar disc brake conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

All Mopar disc brake conversion

Post by exline »

I have been thinking about a disc brake conversion for my 68 D100 and have been looking at the different ways to get it done. I am aware of the scarebird conversion that most use and also the aaj and uglytrucling kits, I also found a used disc brake set up that I don't know who made it but it is not any of these three and I only have the driver side, but I believe it was a one off custom made kit. so I thought I would look into any other ways that it could be done to see if there was a better way that would use all mopar parts and not require machine work. So far I have came up with something that looks like it may work based on the used disc conversion that I found that was already being used , but with a few changes.
The truck spindle inner bearing diameter is 1.375 and the outer bearing diameter is .75. I found that the 79 new yorker rotor has the same outer bearing diameter and the inner is only .002 larger. the rotor is also 11.75 diameter. the caliper I got is from a 77 new Yorker and so is the caliper bracket. I had a bracket made using 1/2 steel to bolt the caliper to the spindle. with the rotor bolted on it was hitting the heads on the two lower bolts that bolt to the steering arm. so I plan to tap the holes in the spindle and screw in a stud to bolt the arm on , that will make room for the rotor. I also had to have a small spacer made to go behind the inner bearing to space it out 1/4 inch to help clear the spindle. I put it all together and it looks pretty good . the only thing is that with the spindle spaced out, the edge of the bearings are about 1/8-3/16 past the flat surface where they normally would rest , the outer bearing is slightly out on the threads by 1/8".I don't know if this will cause an issue or not, there is still a lot of the bearing back on the regular flat surface of the spindle. If there is an issue I would think it would be over the long term but, the used conversion parts I got had the same issue , I don't know how many miles were put on it though before I got it. I do know it worked and it was only removed to install an ifs front suspension. The issue with the inner bearing being .002 oversized probably wont be noticeable but I wont know until I go for a ride. if this would work out it would be a very easy swap with no real machine work involved.
I was talking with wayne from the theramman.com about getting some parts and he was interested in doing a disc brake conversion kit to make available to the public for sale. so I have been giving him all the information that I can get and have agreed to test out what ever he comes up with. so hopefully this will lead to an easy all mopar kit that is affordable. if anyone has any ideas or input please share it and I will pass it on to wayne. it would be awesome to see this work out.
Attachments
discbrakeadapter.1.jpg
102_4933.1.jpg
102_4924.1.jpg

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: All Mopar disc brake conversion

Post by wally426ci »

Nice Kenny! The sweptline work looks to be improving a lot this year! :Thumbsup

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The only real advantage is the lack of needing machining. All replacement parts, for any vehicle brand, are made by relatively few manufacturers and probably all come from China. Will the stock wheels fit? I know that is a complaint with some of the disc brake conversions.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

yes the stock wheels will fit.
the parts are all USA cast and machined even the rotors and caliper brackets if you get them from the ram man.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

The only thing that I see to be a problem would be the clearance for the lower grease zerks for the kingpins. Doesn't look like enough room or am I looking at it the wrong way? My upper kingpin zerks are to the front and my lowers point to the rear. Is there clearance for a 90 or 45 degree zerk for the bottom of the kingpin with the calipers on? This is if I'm looking at your pics correctly.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

nytemuvr there is actually over 1" of clearance for the grease fitting so I plan to put in a 90 there.

I got most of the parts together today and did a test fit. it looks like it should work. I may need to cut down the spacers between the caliper bracket and spindle to move the bracket closer to the rotor so that the caliper will sit closer to where it should on the bracket.
I threaded the bottom bolt holes of the spindle for the steering arm and also made a plate to go under the bolts to keep them from turning out.
I still need to figure out the brake line hose but I think the original one will work. also need to change to a shorter bottom bolt on the steering arm so I don't have to use the washers for spacers but this worked to tell me if everything fit.
Attachments
102_4956.1.jpg
102_4954.1.jpg
102_4950.1.jpg

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

:Thumbsup :Thumbsup

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

looks good!
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda

Post by nytemuvr »

Good job.....that I would consider doing.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

Continue.... When its been tested (bearing fitment) and parts list is compiled. I will do it. 'Im kinda strange, as i like my MoPar to be all MoPar. Cousins, Great Aunts as long as its in the MoPar family.
Later,
Skip

When I'm driving my truck, I'm like a dog. I circle around three times before I lay it down, then I growl before I go to sleep. :salut
So here's to you...

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

The brake kit for the D100 is going into production. I was told that it will be available no sooner than may 1st. depending on how fast they are able to get the parts made. they are making 10 sets to start with. It will include new rotors, calipers, the adapter plate to bolt to the spindle with spacers, special screw in studs to replace the original bolts that hold on the steering arm and also the spindle on an exchange basis. the only real work done on the spindle is drilling and tapping 2 extra holes to bolt up the mounting plate for the caliper and threading the bolt holes where the steering arm bolts and using special screw in studs. this is because the bolt head would hit the rotor. All of the parts are USA made including the rotors. the rotors are machined for using the original truck bearings. so everything is a direct bolt together deal with no machine work needed. it looks like the price of the kit will be $750
I know questions will come up about using rotors machined for truck bearings and getting them replaced if they wear out so I will answer that now. the original 73 and up Dart rotors are .002 of an inch larger than the truck spindle. and actually that would probably not be very noticeable in actual driving, and if at some point you were not able to get the rotor that was machined for the truck bearing you could use the stock 73and up rotor. but after talking to Wayne from http://www.theramman.com who is the one making the kits, he did not feel comfortable making and selling parts that were not exactly right and wanted to sell the kit all machined and ready to go. I have to say that I agree and the bearings will probably last longer when they fit correctly.
he tells me that the kits will use the pin style calipers and the rotors will be available in 11 or 11.75 inch.
he is planning on making the parts for the D200 also after the D100 kits are finished.
I will keep you all posted on progress and when they are available.
you can email me with any questions or contact wayne at http://www.theramman.com

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

That is awesome. Will the kit have bearings with it? I assume we would supply.

MBigDaddyM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle, WA

Post by MBigDaddyM »

The kit is very cool, will he be selling just the bracket? Also, after initial purchase of the kit will he be selling the rotors separately or when it's time to replace them will I have to buy a whole new kit? -BD
Delusions of invincibility combined with a strong homicidal urge. I have a kick-your-@#% fetish.
67 D100 CSS
69 Charger
75 Dart Sport
94 Dakota SLT

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

wally426 i have not talked with him in a little over a month but I believe he was planning to include everything including the bearings, so that you would not have to purchase anything else.
MBigDaddyM , he told me that he will sell the rotors separately if you need to replace them, also they are made in the usa so they should last longer than the cheap import rotors.
I have been driving my truck with this setup for a couple months now and everything seems to work fine, I am very happy with it. I think he is still waiting on some of the parts to be finished before he starts selling them. I will let everyone know when they become available.

Hirschy41
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kingsburg

Post by Hirschy41 »

This is great. In the same week I may have found both a truly solid disc brake conversion AND a donor cab to potentially get my floorboards replaced. Is it replacing them if they are rusted out and not really there now? :lol:

Plus if I get my apple stock split to go the way I am hoping, I will also have the funds to pay for all of this! Mountain camping/fishing here I come.
66 D200 Crew Cab
69 Mach I Mustang

MBigDaddyM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle, WA

Post by MBigDaddyM »

Here's the introductory video.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmpW6YZ6FwU
Delusions of invincibility combined with a strong homicidal urge. I have a kick-your-@#% fetish.
67 D100 CSS
69 Charger
75 Dart Sport
94 Dakota SLT

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Did they come up with a price for the replacement rotor/hub? The kit looks great but having a custom made part that is deigned to wear out worries me.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

the last time I talked to him he said it should be a complete kit including the spindle, with your old one sent in for a core, new brake calipers, rotors , adapter plate , rotor spacer and bearings for $750
the rotors are 76 Chrysler rotors and the only difference is that the inner bearing is machined to use the original truck bearing instead of the car bearing. if you did need a new rotor and could not get the custom machined rotor with the truck bearing you could use the 76 Chrysler rotor with the original car bearing, it is only .002 larger than the truck bearing. I actually have the stock car rotor on my 68 D100 with the stock car bearing still in the rotor and there is very little play in the wheel. I cant notice it in my truck but I am sure it would be better if I had the machined rotor with the truck bearing and a perfect fit with no play. so you wouldn't be completely stuck with no brakes if you couldn't get the special machined rotor, it dosent bother me at all using the stock 76 rotors on my truck and I don't plan to change them. but I guess it would not look very good for a brake company to sell you a rotor that they knew had bearings that were .002 to big when they could make it a perfect fit by machining it for the truck bearing.
you can see his website and contact info at www.theramman.com
hope that all made sense

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

for anyone going to Carlisle on july11-13, the ram man will be in spaces M196-199, I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him so I don't know if he has the kits ready to sell or not but he will be there if you have any questions. and my truck , that I converted to disc, will be in spaces J38-40 if you want to see how the parts look in person.

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by exline »

i just talked with the ram man about the brake kit and he was looking for a shop to cut the caliper adapter plates for him so that he didn't have to mill them. he told me that he just found a shop to do it, so they should be ready to sell soon.