Steering column upper bearing

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
sagrav
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sumter
State: SC

Steering column upper bearing

Post by sagrav »

Hi I am new to the site.
I have a 71 D100 and I cannot find the upper bearing for the steering column. I have the remains removed, but not having any luck finding new part.
Any help would be greatly appercieated.
Don

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Re: Steering column upper bearing

Post by nytemuvr »

sagrav wrote:Hi I am new to the site.
I have a 71 D100 and I cannot find the upper bearing for the steering column. I have the remains removed, but not having any luck finding new part.
Any help would be greatly appercieated.
Don
Years ago there used to be bearings shops (Timkin) out in the west, but not so much anymore. Measure the outside and inside diameter and find a place on the internet that sells nothing but bearings. They should have a book or database specifying what bearing was used on what you needed it for. Everything back in the day was usually standard size stuff.
Maybe write this guy on ebay and see if this fits...here's one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-OEM-Mopar ... 97&vxp=mtr
Or this place, google it, lots of results.... http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/d ... earing.php This one is for a tilt column, they might be the same. Call them, they should be able to have a stock number for your column, probably used the same bearings for most Mopars from that era..
Here's another.... http://www.jimsautoparts.com/nos_truck_parts.htm
Last edited by nytemuvr on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

sagrav
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sagrav »

Thanks!!
I went to http://www.jimsautoparts.com/nos_truck_parts.htm they had the bearing! Item# TK-5656 Upper Steering Column Bearing (right below steering wheel) - 1962-1990 Dodge Pickup $84.95
I replaced it years ago with a used part and since it went out again figured I spend the money for a new part.
thanks again for the help!!

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

sagrav wrote:Thanks!!
I went to http://www.jimsautoparts.com/nos_truck_parts.htm they had the bearing! Item# TK-5656 Upper Steering Column Bearing (right below steering wheel) - 1962-1990 Dodge Pickup $84.95
I replaced it years ago with a used part and since it went out again figured I spend the money for a new part.
thanks again for the help!!
Glad you found it, I had 2 pages open at the same time and sent the wrong link.

sagrav
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sagrav »

Got the bearing in and my truck is back on the road!!!!

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Jims Auto Parts = BAD NEWS!

Good luck! :salut

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

wally426ci wrote:Jims Auto Parts = BAD NEWS!

Good luck! :salut
Wow the prices are out of this universe!!

JuggaloJones
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Las Vegas
State: NV

Post by JuggaloJones »

I wanted to add some information I've found while struggling with this bearing in my early 1965 D100. To answer the original question, the bearing should be a common Mopar 0226 5656-001 that was used in a ton of applications. This can still be special ordered from the dealer for around $17. I tore apart a steering column from a 1971 D100 and that was the bearing in it. This bearing is enclosed by a rubber spacer that is probably impossible to buy new. The bearing is .744 ID and 1.18 OD. I'm guessing this bearing started being used when the automatic shifter was moved from the dashboard to the steering column.

The steering column in my 1965 is a completely different design. This bearing is a unique shape with a concave inner race that sits on a cone shaped spacer. The bearing measures .944 ID and 1.66 OD. I haven't found a part number or source for this bearing. If you can avoid messing with it, I would. I don't believe it can be removed without destroying the bearing race.

I'm moving forward by trying to use a conventional flat bearing inner race on the cone shaped spacer. The closest size fit I've found is a RBI Bearing 6905-2RS. It measures .975 ID and 1.65 OD. It ran $8 from a bearing supply company in Las Vegas.

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

I wonder if yours is the same as mine? I have some issues with the steering column, but I don't think it's this bearing. This is good info to save for the future.
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71

jonw500
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hanna
State: WY

Post by jonw500 »

JuggaloJones wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 pm
I wanted to add some information I've found while struggling with this bearing in my early 1965 D100. To answer the original question, the bearing should be a common Mopar 0226 5656-001 that was used in a ton of applications. This can still be special ordered from the dealer for around $17. I tore apart a steering column from a 1971 D100 and that was the bearing in it. This bearing is enclosed by a rubber spacer that is probably impossible to buy new. The bearing is .744 ID and 1.18 OD. I'm guessing this bearing started being used when the automatic shifter was moved from the dashboard to the steering column.

The steering column in my 1965 is a completely different design. This bearing is a unique shape with a concave inner race that sits on a cone shaped spacer. The bearing measures .944 ID and 1.66 OD. I haven't found a part number or source for this bearing. If you can avoid messing with it, I would. I don't believe it can be removed without destroying the bearing race.

I'm moving forward by trying to use a conventional flat bearing inner race on the cone shaped spacer. The closest size fit I've found is a RBI Bearing 6905-2RS. It measures .975 ID and 1.65 OD. It ran $8 from a bearing supply company in Las Vegas.

I have a 61 column bearing that feels like it has gravel in it. In a quick comparison it appears that the sizing matches your bearing. How did you get your bearing installed, how did it work out?

Thanks - jonw500