Disc Brake conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Disc Brake conversion

Post by jimmy »

Well Mike installed his Scare bird kit on his D200 Adventurer. He thought the rotors were way to close to the backing plates, but after reading about other guys finding the same problem with no correction mentioned; he ran with it. We didn't see anyone up dating saying they had interference issues other than the rotors were very close to the adapters. Mike drove the truck and found the rotors contacting the backing plates. much more contacting on the right side compared to the left.
Has anyone found this? What did you do about it? Some thoughts, Mike had the new rotors that got screwed up, so he had them turned down to repair damage, this gave extra room. Also sanded the adapters smooth to remove scoring that the rotor contact caused. The rotors didn't contact prior to driving, we think that once heat built up everything expanded causing the issue.
Some links about other D200 conv. as info.
Any thoughts would be great.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32100

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32567
Last edited by jimmy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Re: Disc Brake conversion

Post by JimE »

Jimmy I never had a problem with the rotors rubbing againist the backing plate, the only problem was the rotor rubbing on wheel. A little bit of grinding with a diamond blade took care of it. Jim

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Ok, Thanks. I wander what is going on. I haven't talked to Mike after he got the rotors turned and back together.

1meanswepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard
State: OR

Post by 1meanswepty »

I have not done this install yet... but thought I might throw out the idea of checking the adjustment on the wheel bearings. From looking at the build on this truck I am sure he has already done that, but just my :2cents

1meanswepty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard
State: OR

Post by 1meanswepty »

After thinking about my response... Obviously he had the hubs off, but did he replace cups and cones when he did the install?

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

Post by MrMopar »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34260
I had a problem and fixed it, the link shows the fix. Otherwise all well.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MrMopar »

1meanswepty wrote:I have not done this install yet... but thought I might throw out the idea of checking the adjustment on the wheel bearings. From looking at the build on this truck I am sure he has already done that, but just my :2cents
I'm not sure there is anything that can be adjusted there. We are talking about the inner bearing, maybe it was worn and causing the hub to go on to far.
I looked at every nut and bolt on this to see if there might have been something else. A quick fix and it was just fine.

Alan

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Mike got the hubs with very new wheel bearings, I cleaned them and they looked good to me.
Mike greased and intalled.
The left side took turning the rotor, and sanding the caliper adapter plate.
The right side will require a little more sanding.

Thanks for the links. Appears the adapters should be machine on the mateing side a 1/16 or so to allow a little more clearance.

Mike says his pedal is still spongy and needs to bleed brakes more. other than that it stops nice and straight.
Last edited by jimmy on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MrMopar »

I thought about turning the rotors but why through away money.
I wasn't happy with the pedal feel at first either but it has come in on its own, don't even think about it now.

Alan

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

It's not throwing money away when the rotor was screwed up from rubbing. :banghead
Beside one set of rotors should last a VERY long time. Sweptline's are far lighter than the 2500's the rotors were made for.

I do lots of brake jobs for people, I've notice more so lately. brakes take alittle longer to break in than they used too.

Also, I had to bleed my brakes about 4 times between drives to get all the air out of the system.

MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MrMopar »

I guess I was lucky and had the problem on installation. To me both The cost of having the rotor turned and the potential life taken away. My fix cost me nothing.

Alan