new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

new box power steering

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

I have been sick and have not posted for around three years, but keep on going over the new post. My truck is in storage, :pale but I keep on looking for a steering box. Yesterday I was surfing looking for a Toyota box when I came across CPP web store.

There have had a box made after a Vega style box into a power steering. This box is all new including the case. There is a couple of different bolt patterns, one was made for the late 50 Chev. The box looks just like sweptline and boltes to the frame in the same place. This box cost 379.00 and includes a adapter plate, pitman arm and rag joint. I would be susprised if the pitman arm that comes with the box would work. The box on the Chev has a spacer to line up the steering column, I wold not be susprised that a different spacer wold need to be used to line up the collum. If the swept line pitmam arm could not be used there are a couple of company's make custom pitman arms for the off road trucks. To me this could be a clean install with very little fab work and should not change any front end geomtery. The hoses even come into the box facing up and should not interfer with a set of headers. I would also think that the frame would need to be box around the new steering box.

If you go to Google and look up 56 Chev truck 400 series steering box it will take you to the web page. Sorry I can not supply a direct link or picture, but I am on my tablet and can not seem to figure out how to copy and paste on this machine. I hope this will help out as another way to get power steering. To me the price looks to be high until you figure out how much a Toyota box cost, if you can find one. Of course the draw back is where it is made, but what else is new. This CPP company seems to have a good record on supply quality parts, if they did other home work and pick a good company to built these should be well made, hopefully. Sorry about my spelling but this thing has a strange spell checker, take a step forward and two to three back. :thinking

Ed.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: new box power steering

Post by kurt »

I have seen this posted before. I may contact them and see if they are willing to give me basic dimensions and pitman arm options. It looks like it would be real easy to make a custom mounting plate to fit the stock frame holes or you just drill three new ones.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lynnwood
State: WA

Post by BBAIL »

Definitely interested in keeping tabs on this one as well.... Post more details once they're known please.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I sent them this.. I hope its OK. I have asked many other companies about supporting sweplines and they normally say there is no interest.

Hi, I was looking at your steering boxes and noticed that this one http://www.classicperform.com/Store2/St ... PSK-OC.htm may be an easy install into the 1961-1971 Dodge D100, D200 series. Lots of guys have been using Ford and Toyota boxes to add PS to these trucks but your box seems like it would be better and much easier, almost a bolt in once the coupler and pitman are identified.

Would it be possible to share some info about your box? My only interest is to see if us Dodge guys over on http://www.sweptline.org/forums can adapt your box to our trucks.

I would be looking for basic info right now
1. When you turn the steering wheel right does the sector shaft go cc or ccw; How far does the sector rotate lock to lock
2. Distance from mounting face to steering shaft center
3. Mounting face to end of sector shaft
4. Is there a 7 inch straight pitman available. I need to double check that but Its close.
5. Height of the mounting plate to see if it fits in the frame.

I am willing to send you my manual box also if there is any interest. Picture attached.

Thanks,
Kurt

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I also have an 8 page PDF of all the dimensions they sent me. I will try to make it JPGs and upload in a while. The site will not take a PDF.

From Danny at CPP
Our pitman arms are 6” long center to center. We have them with a 1” ball, or tapered to fit the ES358L, tie rod end and the ES416L. These fit 1953-1956 Ford, 1957-1960 Ford, and 1955-1959 Chevrolet trucks.
We currently make 3 mounting brackets for the same 3 trucks.
The Ford trucks use a spacer between the frame and the bracket to move the box inboard towards the engine. This keeps the original steering column location.
The Chevrolet column remains in the factory location without any spacers.
The box is completely new. We made this box as small as we could. We make 3 different steering box assemblies based on the 400 series box. There is the truck box, the “power” Vega, this can be used in many applications from 1964-1995, and we make a long sector shaft version often used in Chevy II’s Mustangs etc.
The truck box and the long sector box are intended to use a bolt on mounting bracket. The idea is the mounting bracket can be made to fit many different applications while using the same steering box. Most brackets are made from 3/8” steel.
The input spline on all of the steering boxes is 3/4-30/

Turns out all the pages in the PDF were the same
CPP steering box dimensions
CPP steering box dimensions
Last edited by kurt on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavyFlatHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HeavyFlatHead »

Kurt,
That sounds like it could work even better than I thought. On the direction of rotation I would be susprised that it is not the same as a sweptline. These boxes all mounted just after the firewall. It should be not much of a problem if they do not want to make a spacer for a person to make his own, would only take some pipe and a cut off wheel. Even the adapter plate should not present to much of a problem even with basic tools. The biggest problem would be the pitman arm, as I said in my first post off road trucks can get custom made arms when they raise there trucks to the sky. Of course if CPP would supply a kit with the right parts that we be great. Even if they can not justify the cost there box would help in the long run as the Toyota boxes are getting on the rare side. I hope some one can install one, I would love to be the test but my health still will not let me do very much and than there is the money issue at this time. :pale

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Added the dimenesions to my post above and grabbed this from their site.

"With its 13.6:1 ratio (2.75 turns lock to lock) it has the performance handling of many rack and pinion conversions without the need for extensive modifications. It has a ¾"-30 input shaft, uses inverted flare hoses (11/16"-18 pressure fitting & 5/8"-18 return fitting) & factory manual steering pitman arm (Mustang requires custom pitman arm included in steering linkage kit & Ford and Chevy trucks require “Toyota” pitman arm). The perfect solution for your bolt on performance power steering need!"

There is a 71/2" Toyota drill your own drag link hole flat pitman arm available on the web. http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Flat-Pitm ... /3360/4427. I looked again and this is not a toyota arm. Now I really want to try this but its pricey compared to the picknpull ford solution. But after you sink thousdands in to the rest of the truck why skimp on the steering.
Last edited by kurt on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

68shorty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal
State: CA

Post by 68shorty »

Maybe some day a manufacture will adapt something for the Sweptline. I have tried several times asking a SoCal hot rod shop that makes kits for C#@^Y's and F#%D's to consider making one for Dodges, even offering up my truck to make a prototype. Every time the answer was "not interested"!

Are you going to attempt the CCP conversion? Keep us advised.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I think so. I just bought a set of autometer electronic gauges so I need to wait a bit for blowing more $$. I need to finish painting my cab and set it on them I will go get one of these.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

Subscribed, really hoping someone can put this together and share the template for the bracket to mount the box to the frame!

FYI: In the PDF image with dimensions the rotation of the box is shown and the rotation is correct for our application

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

The installation should be similar to this one. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30340&hilit=toyota+steering+box It looks like I want the ford version although when I look at stock chevy and ford boxes I can't tell the difference. I need to charge my phone call them and ask. I see mid 50's is now selling the CPP box as a kit instead of the toyota like in the attached thread. They want $539. That includes the toyota/ford pitman, coupler and hoses. Might be able to save 30-50 bucks by buying the coupler from borgeson and making hoses.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

Well your prices don't seem to match? See below excerpt from original post.
HeavyFlatHead wrote:This box cost 379.00 and includes a adapter plate, pitman arm and rag joint.
We may be able to contact CPP and buy just the pump along with bracket and not the other stuff since we don't need it? Save a few more bucks? I would use their existing bracket as a template for the new bracket to fit our application but once this process is hammered out by someone then theoretically all that would need to be purchased is the box.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

My $539 price was from midfifities ford web site not CPP. That was for a turn key F100 kit. I would just get the box from CPP and whatever plate is closest to what I need. If possible I would just drill three new holes in the frame like the toyota conversion thread. I already have a pump on my engine.

Article about the box
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_arti ... T04-13.pdf

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

Yeah that's a great article.

I guess you wouldn't need to create a new bracket if you don't mind drilling holes in your frame.

I would be curious to see what kind of spacing between the box & frame rail would end up being needed.

PDQAUTO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: CLAYTON
State: NC

Post by PDQAUTO »

would love to see this available for power steering
bump

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I bought one. I will post the build or the disaster when i get it.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BBAIL »

You rock! Thanks for taking the plunge. I will be next...

So what's the plan? Modify bracket on the box or just redrill holes in frame to match bracket that comes with the box? Curious as to how the steering shaft portion of this install will work out. Also what pitman arm ends up being utilized... etc...

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I am going to wait until I get it and see what route to go.

Its taking a while to ship. I ordered the full kit including the pitman arm which shorter than my stock one to see what parts will work. The pitman is the hold up and its for the Chevy? The hole in it is smaller than the Dodge one so I am hoping to ream it and see if I get lock to lock and check bump steer. If it doesn't work then I will go get a correct one made. Since the box uses a toyota spline I found a weld in spud which is the Box end splines that will make it easy to build out of a 1/2" or so plate.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

For safety sake, please plate the frame! Power steering has many times the force you can apply by non PS. This equates to frame cracking.
This box may be a great 2wd power steering solution.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Jimmy, I really like your truck :Thumbsup Do I just add a plate to the outside or inside? I will do it for safety. I have heard mention of this in a few cases but never saw it on any posts here on the Toyota or Ford conversions. Mine is a 2WD street truck. Isn't the load of the wheels on the frame the same if its PS or Manual its just easier to turn the steering wheel with PS ?