new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: montrose
State: CO

Re: new box power steering

Post by rimerson »

When pulling 3500 lb camper with ATVs loaded it is still the same if not worse

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Of course airing up your air bags would increase stability,but decrease caster... :thinking You have me stumped.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Have you lowered the truck? and check the wheel bearings.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

Its going to be a while before I get mine on the road to try it at speed. All of my front end is new parts. I hope its OK. It drove fine before I did the conversion.

Is it possible to have the front axel in backwards as in accidently putting the steering parts on the wrong side during king pin replacement?
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Will a la 318 power steering pump work on a poly? Chris.
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Sounds like a case of death wobble. Like Jonah mentioned, if you changed the ride height it can easily happen. Very common in Jeeps. Good article about it on modern Dodge trucks here http://benchtest.com/dodge_death_wobble.html. Check your KPI, caster and toe as mentioned. Did you replace the tie rod ends?

With respect to the axle being reversed, kinda doubt that, are your king pin lock bolts on the front or the back?

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rimerson »

All front end part are new, everything including brakes. never took axle out so it is right. the only thing different is the new box, power steering pump. and the pitman arm. the pitman arm is !.25 inches shorter than the factory one, and I have sent Frank numerous e-mails about the new one but no reply. Its 2 of us are going to make that company a lot of money and be forgotten.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

rimerson wrote:All front end part are new, everything including brakes. never took axle out so it is right. the only thing different is the new box, power steering pump. and the pitman arm. the pitman arm is !.25 inches shorter than the factory one, and I have sent Frank numerous e-mails about the new one but no reply. Its 2 of us are going to make that company a lot of money and be forgotten.
I will start bugging them for a Pitman arm also. Sounds like we need it.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

Just finishing up the install of the CPP steering kit :clap just need to work out the steering pump fittings, then I'll be ready to go. This is the news kit from them(may 31) so I'm thinking the pitman arm is the right length. The install went pretty smooth had to tweak the trans linkage for the column shift. :thinking I did a video , not sure how it will turn out. Hopefully it can be used to help other installers. I'll post updates on the performance as soon as I can.

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rimerson »

I have been driving truck every day since the truck was done. still drives the same but I have gotten use to it. I have real busy with yard work and another project, as soon as I get caught up Im taking it to get alignment checked.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

CPP steeering kit complete, i have put a few low speed miles on it and it works GREAT! :clap I installed the kit in about 6 hours with only standard tools (needed a puller for the pitman drag link removal) one man job. My 1970 d100 was factory equipped with power assist steering so it seems to have the shims in place. The only set back was i did not work out the hose to pump connections before i started and had to figure out the type of fittings for my pump and have a hp hose made locally.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

That's awesome. Do you have a picture of the pit man arm? What pump do you have? I have one from a 1994 dodge and the hoses fit.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

I have Pic need to resize, the pump i used is a federal for my year w/ ac and 383. The hose kit i bought for CPP was for a ford app so the fitting was wrong for my pump. Had to learn a little about ps fittings now i have some extra hoses and fittings not sure what they fit :lol:

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

Here is the pitman arm, now it would seem I have a heat up problem :banghead could it be the rebuilt federal pump?
Attachments
pitman arm.jpg

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Your steering fluid is overheating? If so I would call CPP tech support or ask on their forum.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

If any one is looking, here is a good web site about Mopar power steering pumps http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/pspumps.shtml

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

kurt wrote:Your steering fluid is overheating? If so I would call CPP tech support or ask on their forum.
Called CPP they think it is the pump(rebuilt NAPA) i have another one on its way.

TigerCub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rosemount
State: MN

Post by TigerCub »

I wonder if this setup would work for my 70 D200 318, I also have the power steering out of a same year Dart that also had a 318, would the brackets and pump work off of the dart with this kit? Wish I would have seen this kit earlier before sending my manual gear to get rebuilt.... :thinking
1970 D200 Camper Special

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by johnah »

I'll bet it well. If your truck has air and the dart doesn't the bracket may not work. You'll need to find out what pressure your pump makes, CPP may know give them a call. The steering box went right on may truck could have been out driving it in about 6 hours. My only hold up was the pump to box lines , i didn't match them up before I started so I had to find the right ones after I had installed everything .

TigerCub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rosemount
State: MN

Post by TigerCub »

johnah wrote:I'll bet it well. If your truck has air and the dart doesn't the bracket may not work. You'll need to find out what pressure your pump makes, CPP may know give them a call. The steering box went right on may truck could have been out driving it in about 6 hours. My only hold up was the pump to box lines , i didn't match them up before I started so I had to find the right ones after I had installed everything .
The Dart had air but the truck doesn't. I will have to call them and see what they think.
1970 D200 Camper Special