new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LONG BEACH
State: CA

Re: new box power steering

Post by CPPFRANK »

Hello Sweptliners,

We have been getting good volume of calls for these kits and its very nice to hear most of you are having great success with it.
John^^^ was the first to inform us that out 400UHK kit will not work with the Federal or TRW Pumps because those run a 3/8 o-ring style fitting that is quite uncommon for us. John has found adapters and fitting that get it all to go together so he might be able to shed better light on the subject. Saginaw pumps are ideal for the conversion so if you have a choice, CHOOSE SAGINAW!!!

Second, Any time you lower the vehicles with a straight axle, you will guaranteed got bump steer. That is because of the angle of the drag link between the spindle and pitman arm. when you add power steering to it, your only amplifying the effect. one resolution is a shorter pitman arm (which we are not quite working on yet) or second is modifying (traditionally heating and bending) the attachment point on the spindle to line up with the pitman arm again.

Third, we only had this kit test fitted on a truck with the 61-69 drag link so we can only safely say it fits those drag links (thus the part number) but yes more and more we are told they fit everything from 1961-1971 D100 D200 W100 and W200. we have been told that using a factory MANUAL drag link out of a 61-69 will let you convert any truck to the proper taper and they are readily available at most local auto parts stores.

Again it is very gratifying to know most all are happy with the kit and getting it to all work. My email at CPP is francisco@classicperform.com
If anyone is in need of technical advise or compatibility questions, please feel free to send me a email. It might not be instant but I will get back to you guys.

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

johnah wrote:Here is the pitman arm, now it would seem I have a heat up problem :banghead could it be the rebuilt federal pump?
Replaced the pump with one from Summit Racing and seem to have the heat issue onder control. Summit is also were i got the pump fitting 5/8 20 " to 6an (the oring type) had to by a kit with 3 other adapters (Billet Specialties Power Steering Adapter Kits 77901p) . About 100 miles and its working great :clap
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

johnah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pompano beach
State: FL

Post by johnah »

Note i went with the Federal pump because I have a 383 with air and i wanted it to look stock. If Dodge had another setup for my app I would have tried it. Talk to CPP for your app,they know the steering box for sure.
as I say "everthing could be anything but nothin is always somethin"

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: usa
State: NY

Post by vin »

I got my kit installed in my 68 w200 crew cab. Installation was easy.

I have a rebuilt later style Saginaw pump. The one with the bolt on pulley rather then press on. First go I couldn't get it to turn the wheels on the ground. Lifted up everything was smooth and no binding. On the ground it would barely start to turn and the the pump would chatter and scream. After a call to CPP tech support, they naturally blamed the pump and said it probably wasn't making enough pressure.

I called the guy I got the pump from (a retired 30 year dodge employee) and he walked me how to check how many shims are in it to raise pressure. I tried it with 1 and none and it still didn't work and the pump gets very hot.

He then offered to send me another pump just to be sure. Installed today and pretty much the same result but decided to try and drive it to see if it worked. Sure enough it works great as soon as you start to roll but after a few laps around the neighborhood the pump was hot and it did make a little noise backing in my driveway.

CPP states the box needs 1000-1200 psi and the Saginaw puts out up to 1300

So I don't know if the Saginaw really isn't strong enough or if the steering box isn't strong enough to turn the wheels while parked. Does everyone else's turn without moving?

I guess I will see how long it takes to burn up a pump.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Have any of you done this with a pickup that has been lowered? I have a Sid's axle and a new main leaf with both spring eyes turned down. Total drop is about 4.5" from stock. If you have a lowered truck and added this steering set-up, what pitman arm did you use?

-EM

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

Vin, I have a 1994 dodge ram PS pump and the steering is too easy. I may put a pressure reducer. I can turn my wheels with one finger standing still on any surface. There must be some restriction in your system or a bad pump.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

Thanks Kurt. I guess without a gauge there is no way to know what pressure the pump is putting out. But 2 pumps act the same way.

As far as a restriction, I guess it could be restricting to the bottom end of the needed psi, but the power works 1 finger easy as soon as I roll the tinyest bit. I'll call CPP on Monday but first try some miles this weekend to rule out air and maybe try a different brand of fluid (I used gunk brand)

What year motor do you have? Does a pump as new as 94 still bolt to the older brackets? I have a 79 318 in my 68

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I have no idea what fits what. I have a 1994 engine with the serpentine drive belt. I seem to remember the steering is supposed to work with any Saginaw pump.

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

Hey Kurt- I see you have a crew cab too. Without going back and rereading this whole thread, do I remember right in that you adapted a pitman arm from another kit that was shorter then what comes in the kits now?

After tinkering again with it today, bumping my pump pressure up to it's max and noticing it even easier to turn when moving but still not able to turn while stopped I have a new theory. My original pitman was approx 6.5" center to center and the one in the kit is about 7.5". I'm thinking that extra inch of leverage combined with my larger tires might be why it won't turn at stop. I'm kinda surprised because people lift and put monster tires on every make and model of trucks without having to upgrade power steering systems, but maybe it is just the limit of what is capable on these aftrmarket boxes.

I left a voicemail for Francisco, just waiting to hear back.

Are you able to turn both directions all the way to the stops with the shorter arm?

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I am pretty sure I used the one for the Chevy. Its in this thread someplace. It is 6.5 inches. My truck is d200 so came stock with the 7.25 inch arm. The W200 arm is shorter. I am getting lock to lock but someone else with a D100 did not. I plan on switching to the longer arm on mine to avoid bump steer. I haven't driven mine on a street yet.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Post by 413wagon »

1969 4x4 big block 4 speed sweptline
So i got the cpp kit installed (ps box, lines, fittings, rag joint, pitman arm, column relocation bracket) It installed great and looks great. I used a saginaw pump and press on pulley from the late 70's. a pump bracket kit from Randy Buclillion performance. I did not need the column reclocation bracket since I had shifted the cab fully to the passenger side when I put it back on the frame (there was plenty of movement in the mounts) I did have to raise the column about 2 inches which might be a problem for the column shift trucks.I get full turn travelwith thepitman arm thy sent me. It works good, however I can't turn the wheels at a dead stop on pavement. As soon as you start to roll it works great. I have a lot of extra resistance with the 4x4 , 33 x12.5" wide tires and 413/426 big block with iron heads/intake. Not sure if skinnier tires or lighter motor might fix it or not. I am happy with the kit, the truck drives nice now with PS and power brakes I added. I will add pictures later

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

Well, that makes at least 3 of us. Troubleshooting is over, the steering box has to be the issue. I would say that either there is an inconsistency in production or those with smaller tires and can turn at a stop must be right at its limit.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 413wagon »

it's a small box with a quick ratio...I did not expect the world out of it. I was looking for a direct bolt in box that looked factory. The steering is still worlds better than the factory manual box was.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 413wagon »

it's a small box with a quick ratio...I did not expect the world out of it. I was looking for a direct bolt in box that looked factory. The steering is still worlds better than the factory manual box was.

vin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by vin »

413wagon wrote:it's a small box with a quick ratio...I did not expect the world out of it. I was looking for a direct bolt in box that looked factory. The steering is still worlds better than the factory manual box was.
Absolutely better! But now I can stop going through pumps and tweaking the preasure. CPP said I must not be putting out enough pressure, not that I exceeded the box capabilities.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 413wagon »

what engine do you have in your w200? tires? I suspect if you have a 2wd with small tires up front it would work at a dead stop. I'm even wondering about a 10 inch wide tire on mine and lightening up the big block with aluminum heads and intake, headers..... It would be an excuse to upgrade.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

The box is kind of small compared the ford conversions I looked at. Has anyone used a Toyota box on a W series with big tires?

When I get the longer pitman arm I will report out. I have a crew with 8.75x16.5 tires right now, no issues other than its too easy.

TNBandit
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Limestone
State: TN

Post by TNBandit »

kurt wrote:I have no idea what fits what. I have a 1994 engine with the serpentine drive belt. I seem to remember the steering is supposed to work with any Saginaw pump.
Kurt I'm curious about your use of the serpentine belt. My 69 truck I just bought has a 92 318 with the serpentine belt as well. The prior owner left the A/C compressor and the P/S pump in place but my truck has neither and they are just there doing nothing. The P/S pump is full of fluid and the hose runs back into the pump so it stays lubricated. Like to do away with both and go to a shorter belt.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

TNBandit wrote:
kurt wrote:I have no idea what fits what. I have a 1994 engine with the serpentine drive belt. I seem to remember the steering is supposed to work with any Saginaw pump.
Kurt I'm curious about your use of the serpentine belt. My 69 truck I just bought has a 92 318 with the serpentine belt as well. The prior owner left the A/C compressor and the P/S pump in place but my truck has neither and they are just there doing nothing. The P/S pump is full of fluid and the hose runs back into the pump so it stays lubricated. Like to do away with both and go to a shorter belt.

I am using all the stock components including the compressor so I made no changes.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

413wagon wrote:1969 4x4 big block 4 speed sweptline
So i got the cpp kit installed (ps box, lines, fittings, rag joint, pitman arm, column relocation bracket) It installed great and looks great. I used a saginaw pump and press on pulley from the late 70's. a pump bracket kit from Randy Buclillion performance. I did not need the column reclocation bracket since I had shifted the cab fully to the passenger side when I put it back on the frame (there was plenty of movement in the mounts) I did have to raise the column about 2 inches which might be a problem for the column shift trucks.I get full turn travelwith thepitman arm thy sent me. It works good, however I can't turn the wheels at a dead stop on pavement. As soon as you start to roll it works great. I have a lot of extra resistance with the 4x4 , 33 x12.5" wide tires and 413/426 big block with iron heads/intake. Not sure if skinnier tires or lighter motor might fix it or not. I am happy with the kit, the truck drives nice now with PS and power brakes I added. I will add pictures later
What front axle are you guys using in your 4x4s, stock or newer ones?
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD