new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: new box power steering

Post by kurt »

BBail, Thanks for the article. I am using the stock 1994 dodge ram pump on my engine. I saw people do this to about 900PSI for most swaps but I didn't give it much thought yet. I looked at CPPs web site for a couple of minutes and see they have some articles about pressure and the box may wig out if the pressure is too high. I emailed them to see if there is a recommended pressure. They also sell adjustable PS regulators but I will go the washer route if I can.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

kurt wrote:Jimmy, I really like your truck :Thumbsup Do I just add a plate to the outside or inside? I will do it for safety. I have heard mention of this in a few cases but never saw it on any posts here on the Toyota or Ford conversions. Mine is a 2WD street truck. Isn't the load of the wheels on the frame the same if its PS or Manual its just easier to turn the steering wheel with PS ?
I have seen on the lifestyle trucks crack the frame around the mounts on power steering gear.The sweptlines with power assit puts the pressure on the steer axle which in my opinion is the best way to go.I my self would never do this mod on any of my sweptlines.To me it puts a lot of load on the driver side king pin assembly transfering the power tru it to the other side.With the power assit it splits it between the two king pins.The other option is on a d series to used the axle from a crew cab as there are a heavier unit with the big king pins.

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Post by reallylongnickname »

kurt wrote:Dodge guy, Yes all the stock power assist goes away. Basically I am replacing my manual box with a power box. Earlier in this thread is a link to someone that put a toyota box in from http://www.midfifty.com . This box I am looking at is the updated version of that kit.
Hey, since you're familiar with manual steering, What fluid is recommended for w300 with manual steering?

Or anyone else who cares to answer.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

reallylongnickname wrote:
kurt wrote:Dodge guy, Yes all the stock power assist goes away. Basically I am replacing my manual box with a power box. Earlier in this thread is a link to someone that put a toyota box in from http://www.midfifty.com . This box I am looking at is the updated version of that kit.
Hey, since you're familiar with manual steering, What fluid is recommended for w300 with manual steering?

Or anyone else who cares to answer.
I would recommend John Deere Corn Head Grease,or a similar light grease with a NLGI grade 0 service rating.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I have the steering box mounting plate in 3D CAD. Solidworks and Para solid format. I personally have no SW to do a 1:1 print. I tried a couple free viewers and they lock that out unless you pay. If anyone wants the files I recommend having your machinist print a 1:1 copy and you try it on your frame and make any changes you might want / need. I had our CAD guy straighten out some of the lines in the drawing I cut crooked. The important part is the 11 bolt holes and the sector shaft hole that he should have accurate.

BBAIL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lynnwood
State: WA

Post by BBAIL »

Kurt, can I get copies of the files emailed to me at: brian.bailey999@gmail.com

Whenever you have a chance would be great. Thanks!!!!

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

BBAIL wrote:Kurt, can I get copies of the files emailed to me at: brian.bailey999@gmail.com

Whenever you have a chance would be great. Thanks!!!!
ditto to that - simonsben@gmail.com

great stuff.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Ben, can you forward that to me?

This is nice.

I recently saw a write up on mid 50's Ford trucks with a similar set-up and thought that it could work. MAybe it is the same box. :study

:Thumbsup

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

It is the same box. Mid fifties used to sell a toyota conversion that someone on this forum put in a sweptline it also bolted in very easy. This is the new version.

I am going to try and get a 1:1 plot to double check the work then I will send out the files.

To be clear these are 3D CAD solid models not a plot you can print out and see dimensions. They are what a machine shop with CNC would use.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

kurt wrote:It is the same box. Mid fifties used to sell a toyota conversion that someone on this forum put in a sweptline it also bolted in very easy. This is the new version.

I am going to try and get a 1:1 plot to double check the work then I will send out the files.

To be clear these are 3D CAD solid models not a plot you can print out and see dimensions. They are what a machine shop with CNC would use.
any way to get a plot from them?

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I think I can get a dimensioned 2D drawing also. Give me a few more days and I will send it all along. I see I need to adjust the outside dimension. He took too much leeway in straighting my line. I could send it as is but you would end up grinding it off.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

It does fit the stock steering column and rag joint. But then again I am not sure of my cab alignment. I moved it to work today. I also also loosened the steering stops and screwed them all the way in and I still get lock to lock. I ordered new rag joint from rock auto. Ben and BBail I will send you the drawings tomorrow.

EDIT - The stock rag joint is 3/4-36 the new box input is 3/4-30. It appeared to fit when using my old rusty one but when I got the new one it was not right. You will have to use the one that comes with the box or find a 3/4-30 that will fit the column.
rag joint
rag joint
Last edited by kurt on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

BBAIL wrote:Hey Kurt,

Might be a bit premature here but when you get this up and running depending on driving impressions you may want to consider the procedure outlined in the article linked below. I'm going to assume you're utilizing a Saginaw P/S pump as it's the most common?

I will be using a Saginaw pump and plan to play with the procedure outlined to get the best of feel and assist.

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PU ... e-v1.4.pdf

I finally started my new engine and tried the PS. Its one finger easy to steer. Once I get the truck back on the road I could see lowering the pressure.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

Awesome. great post.
What did it all cost? Part number for everything?

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I already had a pump mounted to my engine via the serpentine drive. The rest was pretty simple

http://www.classicperform.com/Series400 ... gBoxes.htm
Steering Kit for the Ford 1953-56 CPP5356PSK-OC $539.

I had them swap the Ford pitman for the Chevy truck pitman no charge.

Homemade plate $20

+ Tax and shipping to your location.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Kurt, I assume they would know which Chevy part to swap in? I guess there is only 1?

And how would you think this would work with a typical Mopar steering pump?

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

I am pretty sure they just have one arm for the Chevy I don't recall specifying a specific one. The one I have fits fine with a washer on the stud under the nut.

The best route would be to build your own pitman to the proper length. I found a toyota pitman spud on-line someplace that you weld into a flat plate that becomes your pitman. That would need to be done by a certified welding shop. I went the chevy arm route to see if it would work first. Its shorter and may cause bump steer. It will be a while before I can drive my truck to see.

I am no expert with this stuff. If you have the sagnaw pump my guess it will be fine.

Response from CPP when I asked about pressure

"Thank you for your recent purchase. The Saginaw pumps work fine with our
gearboxes. If you need to reduce the pressure we sell an adjustable flow valve for: $89 (part # PS-101). Please contact us if you need more info, or if you would like to place your order. We appreciate your business. "

Fugowwee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Helena
State: MT

Post by Fugowwee »

Kurt,

Nice work! I too would like to have the info on making one of those plates. I have a couple of trucks to do such a conversion on.

There was another post about weather this work on a W series truck. I am no expert nor have I taken any measurement but it sure looks like it should fly. After looking at Kurt's pics I went out and looked at all my trucks and the mounting sure looks similar. I am attaching a few photos for comparison. Does anyone have any other info that would help? This could make for a very simple power conversion!
The gearbox on my W200 ( Big block gets in the way )
The gearbox on my W200 ( Big block gets in the way )
The outside of the frame on my W200 ( Thanks Michigan for the extra rust )
The outside of the frame on my W200 ( Thanks Michigan for the extra rust )
The gearbox on my W100 ( Small block not much better )
The gearbox on my W100 ( Small block not much better )
The outside of the frame on the W100
The outside of the frame on the W100
Here is the D100 frame where the steering box would mount
Here is the D100 frame where the steering box would mount
Just for fun here is the original D100 power assist
Just for fun here is the original D100 power assist
Later,
Gene

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Files are here. The drawing is in two formats. Solidworks and Parasolid. They both have free viewers. For Parasolid I ended up looking for X_T viewer. Any machine shop will have the full solid works package. Have them do a 1:1 print on paper and make sure it fits!

http://redjeep.net/sweptline

68shorty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal
State: CA

Post by 68shorty »

Anyone making these mounting plates, I'd sure like to purchase one. I don't have the means or ability to manufacture one.