new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: new box power steering

Post by earlymopar »

Absolutely. Having the CORRECT power steering pump pulley diameter (relative to the driven pulley diameter) only allows the pump pressure to be optimized for the pump being used. If the pump is not capable in design, adjustments or pulley changes of reaching the necessary PSI , the pump is obviously the limiting factor. One would really need to look at the rated PSI range of their pump before hand to see if it's even capable of getting to the target PSI.

- EM

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by Peero »

How firm steers the CPP Power Steering unit? I would compare this to my Firm Feel Stage III Power Steering unit in my car (1964 Dodge 440) which steers like a modern car.

What about running a cross steering Rack & PInion Unit from Unisteer? I'm looking at item 8000460-04. Fabricating the cross steer shouldn't be a n issue,
you could than attach two heim joints on the passenger side steering arm. One heim joint above the steering arm links to the stock Draglink.
The second Heim Joint links to the cross steer r&p unit.You'll end up with two draglinks which hopefully do not contact each other.

Any thoughts....

Thx

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Peero »

OK I wanna buy the stuff tru Summit unfortunately whether Summit or CPP is confirming me which Rag Joint I need.

Is it RJC730R
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/clp-rjc730r

Or just RJC730
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/clp-rjc730
Last edited by Peero on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

OMG!!! Those are the biggest pictures I've ever seen on this site! How?
Last edited by MadMC63 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Peero »

Oh damn....adjusted sorry...can you confirm which one to use?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I'm sorry, no. I converted to power assist with all factory parts so I'm clueless.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Post by JLeather »

I *think* you need the 730R. It says it is a 3/4"-30 spline joint, and that's what the CPP 400-series box input is. I cannot find the bolt spacing for the column-side to confirm if it's correct for the Dodge column however. Based on CPP's catalog it says it's 3 3/16" diameter, but it doesn't say if that's the bolt circle or the OD of the rubber piece?

kclark
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46112
State: IN

Post by kclark »

Did anyone try the CVF Racing pump with this kit? This is a Saginaw pump style. I was trying to use the stock Saginaw pump on my power rack in my d100 and it would not work. After upgrading to the CV it works fine. I’d like to try this kit on my 70 W100 but figured I’d ask if this pump had been tried and proven to work at stationary position.
Last edited by kclark on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Intrested in info. on the cv unit. I'm getting ready to install the cpp unit I purchased years ago. I have a federal pump and brackets that fit the poly and a Saginaw unit and bracket for a small block. I am concerned that neither will work very well. :thinking Open to options if they don't. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

kclark
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 46112
State: IN

Post by kclark »

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Txas2step wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Intrested in info. on the cv unit. I'm getting ready to install the cpp unit I purchased years ago. I have a federal pump and brackets that fit the poly and a Saginaw unit and bracket for a small block. I am concerned that neither will work very well. :thinking Open to options if they don't. :Thumbsup
I don't think you will have any issue with the cpp. Either pump should work with the correct brackets. I used the same setup on my /6 and 440 both with different pumps. Both worked fine. /6 had Federal and 440 Saginaw. My :2cents Craig.

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

Just to keep this updated I'm still not happy with my CPP install, however it may not be the fault of the kit/pump. I have confirmed I have adequate pressure even at idle (I purchased a MAC p/s system tester that allows me to shim and adjust my own pumps). My truck will actually stall the motor trying to steer at a dead stop. I doubt that even with the pump dead-headed it should produce enough drag to kill the motor so I suspect my issue may be engine-related. I have also had an instance of my kit overheating but I suspect I've fixed that. I found that while static-steering the pump was running over relief (the box was requesting the full 1200 psi that the pump relief was set for). I bumped the pump relief up to ~1400 and it no longer relieves while static steering, but I don't have enough street time on the kit to say this has completely fixed the issue. I have also found the adjustments mentioned in this article to be beneficial:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... eringmods/

In my case I'm running the factory pump with all shims removed, no additional washers or limiting stud modification, which should produce 1350-1400 psi on most pumps (YMMV, I would recommend purchasing a tester before adjusting your own pump).

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

What tester would you recommend?
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

JLeather wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:39 pm
I doubt that even with the pump dead-headed it should produce enough drag to kill the motor...
I would expect a relief valve to let go before that happens.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JLeather »

I bought the MAC tester because I found one for sale used locally, but this one on Amazon looks just like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Products-ST ... 000BHJ4UO/