new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Re: new box power steering

Post by robertob »

Hey guys, I have one of the pilot kits and have it installed now. Francisco said it was OK to post some pictures and details so here goes.

As you might know I'm very picky when it comes to my Sweptline. I don't mind non-stock parts, but they have to fit without any cutting, and they have to look like they were made for the truck; I don't want to add any parts that might look like they were aftermarket.

Well the CPP box delivers on both counts. It fits, it works, and it doesn't attract attention.

Here are some notes on the install and some pictures:

Box mounting
The preproduction box I got came with a flat mounting bracket already drilled for the sweptie bolt pattern. I had to add thick washers on each of the mounting pads to match the frame rail dimples. It is my understanding that production boxes will come with spacers. Everything cleared fine and I was able to bolt the box in without issue. The stock bolts (7/16-20 by 1 1/2) were plenty long enough. The pitman arm shaft goes through the frame hole without any problem, as already noted.
Looks like the stock one.
Looks like the stock one.
Steering Column, floor seal and bracket
Because the new box is wider it does move the steering shaft over by about 1/2". This is an issue with every Sweptline power steering so far, but it seems pretty minimal with this box. The steering column jacket is now at the very bottom right corner of the hole in the floor. The floor plate fits fine, but the rubber seal underneath of it does not have enough slop to clear. Note that my truck has Lifestyle era cab mounts, which are 3/8" taller than stock mounts, so there is even less clearance than other trucks might have.

On mine, I just moved it over and put the screws through it into the floor but CPP is working on a replacement rubber gasket.

The lower column mounting bracket does not fit with the new column position on my truck. CPP fabricated a new bracket that will put the column in the correct place. I believe this will be included in the kit, but check with Francisco.
CPP-fabricated floor bracket. Works perfectly to hold the column in the new lower position.
CPP-fabricated floor bracket. Works perfectly to hold the column in the new lower position.
CPP supplied me with a rag joint that has the splines for their box on one end and bolts to the end of the stock Sweptline steering column on the other. The only trick was that I had to install the rag joint on the box before installing the column because there isn't enough clearance to get the column through the floor hole with the rag joint attached.
You can see how the column is moved over from center, and down. A truck with stock cab mounts would have it up a little bit.
You can see how the column is moved over from center, and down. A truck with stock cab mounts would have it up a little bit.

Pitman arm and steering linkage
The pitman arm that CPP made is the same length as the stocker and works great. However, the outboard position of the new arm (because the steering box has a much longer shaft) pushes the back of the front tire into the drag link at the extreme left turn angle. I have asked CPP to make an arm that is cranked in by 3/4 inch so that the steering will get full lock. As soon as I get it I will post some pictures. Otherwise the box gives the same lock as the factory manual box (actually it gives MUCH MORE angle than the factory power steering ram, even with the pitman arm position).
Tire runs into drag link on hard left turn, could get more turn with a bent inward pitman arm.
Tire runs into drag link on hard left turn, could get more turn with a bent inward pitman arm.

steering lines
My truck has a saginaw box and the fittings on the included hoses worked perfectly.

Verdict
AWESOME!!! The truck steers like a new truck. 3 1/2 turns lock to lock on the box. With the large stock steering wheel, effort when stopped is less than the factory manual steering with 5 1/2 turns lock to lock. On the road, it is amazing. I went from the factory power steering, which provides excellent boost but no road feel and no turn radius, and this is a vast improvement. And honestly, I spent about as much restoring the factory power steering as this setup is going to sell for.

Stand by for more updates when I get the new pitman arm.

thedodgeguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Weston
State: MO

Post by thedodgeguy »

This is great news. I have been E-Mailing Francisco lately looking for some news and he has not returned any of my E-Mails. Has he given you a completion date to the public? I am starving for this set up!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update!

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

Not sure, the box and frame bracket are done, they just needed someone to work on the fitment. I've been back and forth to their shop 5 or 6 times bringing parts and measurements to get it all working and it's almost done. They are still having some bent pitman arms made.
Here it is, hard to see with all the stuff in the way, but it looks like it belongs.
Here it is, hard to see with all the stuff in the way, but it looks like it belongs.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

Thanks for doing the fit test for this! I am looking forward to getting the final pitman and rag joint for mine. I am in the process of moving to a other state so my truck is on hold except gettong ready to transport.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Post by Jake66 »

my level of excitment is bubbling out like the oil from my dipstick tube :lol: cant wait for this to hit the market, count me in as a buyer :Thumbsup
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

It looks great!! Any idea of the cost for the kit?

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

Jake66 wrote:my level of excitment is bubbling out like the oil from my dipstick tube :lol: cant wait for this to hit the market, count me in as a buyer :Thumbsup

Seriously, in an urban setting this is like the most important sweptline development ever. The biggest problem with the stock steering is not the difficulty, it's the number of turns lock to lock.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

robertob wrote:
Jake66 wrote:my level of excitment is bubbling out like the oil from my dipstick tube :lol: cant wait for this to hit the market, count me in as a buyer :Thumbsup

Seriously, in an urban setting this is like the most important sweptline development ever. The biggest problem with the stock steering is not the difficulty, it's the number of turns lock to lock.
seriously, i had some non understanding person honking at me because i had to make a three point turn to get out of a parking stall the other day. :lol:
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

DieselRam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Thorsby
State: Foreign

Post by DieselRam »

This is awesome news...What power steering pump is the best to use? Are the pump and fittings all available from CPP also?

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Sounds like it will be a kit and will have everything to connect to a factory style pump!

thedodgeguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thedodgeguy »

One of the times I talked to Francisco I asked him if the drag link from the pitman arm to the drivers side soindle was going to be adjustable so we can center up out steering wheels? Does anyone know if this has beed done by CPP or even thought of?

Thanks

Jason

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by robertob »

thedodgeguy wrote:One of the times I talked to Francisco I asked him if the drag link from the pitman arm to the drivers side soindle was going to be adjustable so we can center up out steering wheels? Does anyone know if this has beed done by CPP or even thought of?

Thanks

Jason

This uses the stock, non-adjustable drag link. However, you won't need a different drag link simply to center the wheel - our steering wheels do not have a master spline. In addition, the CPP box output shaft does not have a master spline, making it very easy to center everything. You basically center the box, center the front wheels and install the pitman arm already connected to the drag link. Then install the steering wheel in the correct orientation and you are good to go.

I can't see an issue with a drag link that is a little too long or too short.

One secret you may not know about is that the 1961-68 drag link is .4 inches shorter than the 1969-71 link.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

what did you pay for the parts the kit? id love to start putting it on my truck.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kearney
State: NE

Post by Tony292 »

Count me in, I have a 71 D200 with the "power assist" that the box itself leaks, has lots of play, and doesnt really "assist" as well as I think it should. this new box and pitman sounds like it will cure all of my steering issues at once.

thedodgeguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by thedodgeguy »

any new progress on this kit?

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

Any price yet or idea when it will be available, my current old power assist decided to spring a big leak today. I need this kit like yesterday as my truck is now deadlined...

avroadwarrior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: AVAPPLE VALLEY
State: CA

Post by avroadwarrior »

This is sooo cool i'm in. A adjustable draglink would be cool i will need to replace mine anyway. can't wait Brian :Thumbsup
Brian

67D100NZ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auckland
State: Foreign

Post by 67D100NZ »

Count me in for one of these too.

Tony292
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tony292 »

Bump.... I emailed the company and they only replied with a link to this thread, which states nowhere when this will be available.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Robertob, thanks for the update.

I didn't know you moved to CA!

BTW - Do you think the angled arm will be enough to do the trick? I suppose my concern is with different tire sizes and such. :Thumbsup