new box power steering

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Re: new box power steering

Post by Jake66 »

does anybody know off the top of their head what the spline count is on an oem steering gear for a 1966 D100?
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

If your talking where the column attaches its 3/4" 36 spline. This new box is 3/4" 30 spline.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

kurt wrote:If your talking where the column attaches its 3/4" 36 spline. This new box is 3/4" 30 spline.
what im looking at doing is using a newer power steering pump, i have a newer motor. V8 360 out of a 1978 RV. i can get the pump and lines easy, just wondering what how many teeth the the coupler on the rag joint has that fits the stock power steering pump.

thanks for your info by the way. :Thumbsup
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

Hey Guys we could do a semi kit that we would have to mill a pit-men arm for the right length and spline count at a $$$$ COST
or CPP ie close to having on done I think we're weeks away now not months or years now

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

thanks for the update Frank. please let us know when the kit is available and the best way to purchase it.

Ben
CPPFRANK wrote:Hello Sweptliners,

I have been in contact with Kirk and now I will share with you.

We are in the R&D stages of the box at this moment which means we have a few prototype boxes that we are installing to determine which is the better fit.

The few of you that have already created a bracket and installed it have determined that the the column is having to be moved. Our concern is that once we start producing this box we will get the phone calls about this issue and will have customers upset.

Currently we have gotten it as close as 3/8" further from the frame and 3/8" lower than the stock box. We are trying to solve this by clocking the box slightly or altering the mount to raise it up slightly.

For those of you who have already installed it and asked, the box is ment to run at pressures between 900-1200PSI. Most pumps on the market today run at these pressures.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

kurt wrote:If your talking where the column attaches its 3/4" 36 spline. This new box is 3/4" 30 spline.
do you have to do any modifications to attach the new box?
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

Jake,
Go back to the begining of this thread and read the whole thing. You have to make a mount plate and adapt the steering column to a new rag joint. The hoses work with the saginaw pumps.

So far I have custom installed the CPP box and at least on other guy which is also mentioned in this thread has done it. Classic Performace Products is working on a kit specific to our trucks but ran into an issue with coulmn alignmnet being off 3/8". Last I see is they are trying to get it right on with a new mount plate which would be awsome.

There have been several installs of Toyota and Ford boxes on this forum (search for them) and they all required some solution for alignmnet too. One of the installs is an earlier CPP kit with a Toyota box. Most people move the steering column base or use a ujoint. CPP has to get it right for a saleable product.

One last thing I should put in this thread is after the conversion you should add a +4° caster shim to stabilize highway driving. I just learned that a few days ago. Stock PS trucks had this or you can get them aftermarket easily.

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LONG BEACH
State: CA

Post by CPPFRANK »

Kirk,

I saw that you added 4 degrees of caster. What was your original setting before adding?

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by kurt »

CPPFRANK wrote:Kirk,

I saw that you added 4 degrees of caster. What was your original setting before adding?

I haven't added it yet. I never checked it. The stock spec is something like 1/2 degree. This is the thread where I got the idea from. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36270

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Still waiting for the kit!

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

Does anyone have a source where they are getting Dodge power steering pumps or brackets? We need to know what kind of fitting is on the back side of the pumps so we can accommidate this with the hoses we will be providing.

Fugowwee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Helena
State: MT

Post by Fugowwee »

This may be an option for a pump and brackets...

http://store.440source.com/Power-Steering/products/20/

I have not gotten one but I have been kicking it around.

dubs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chantilly
State: VA

Post by dubs »

I have also bought big block power steering brackets from bouchillon performance, they are top notch:

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/po ... ring_comps
1971 D100 LA 318ci, 1972 Charger B 400ci, 2010 Yaris 80ci, 1963 Sprite 67ci

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Nice! They come in chrome!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

Thank you for the links guys. Does anyone have a picture of the stock power steering pump and brackets? The repro stuff will work great for those who dont have power steering already but at the same time we want to be able to accommodate what is already there as well. we are getting close to go full production with this so please be patient with us as we fine tune this as best we can.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

CPPFRANK wrote:Thank you for the links guys. Does anyone have a picture of the stock power steering pump and brackets? The repro stuff will work great for those who dont have power steering already but at the same time we want to be able to accommodate what is already there as well. we are getting close to go full production with this so please be patient with us as we fine tune this as best we can.

I am looking forward to your kits debut, count me as one who will be buying one shortly after you unveil it! :Thumbsup
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

exline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: warfordsburg
State: PA

Post by exline »

my 68 D100 has power steering but I have it torn apart right now. the pump is still hanging in the engine bay attached to the hoses. I have the brackets packed into a box that I will have to dig out for a picture. let me know if you need any measurements .
Attachments
102_5110.1.jpg
102_5109.1.jpg
102_5108.1.jpg

CPPFRANK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CPPFRANK »

Thanks Exline, that helps.

rimerson
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: montrose
State: CO

Post by rimerson »

CPPFRANK wrote:Does anyone have a source where they are getting Dodge power steering pumps or brackets? We need to know what kind of fitting is on the back side of the pumps so we can accommidate this with the hoses we will be providing.
Look at my 71 Dodge pics see if that will help and I'll get the company and what pump I used. It works great drove i again yesterday. Still need the longer pitman arm and I do need to add the shims it over steers real easy. The power steering pump brackets I got from CVF Racing, nice aluminum brackets and if all goes well Ill get there A/C brackets next. Power steering pump is a GM, of a 82 G10 van your hoses all fit to that pump. After get all done I'll drive and figure out if I need a pressure restrictor. We have install speed sensitive pressure restrictors on some street rods we have built, they work great but are very pricy. Any more Q's just ask. Haven't been working on truck much trying to help wife with her 1953 camping trailer restore, it has taken up a lot of the weekends.