IRS in a sweptline pickup?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
youngblood00
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: saskatoon
State: Foreign

IRS in a sweptline pickup?

Post by youngblood00 »

So crazy idea. I want to lower my truck but don't want to get to crazy like cutting the frame rails etc. so I did some measuring today and I have an 07 charger rear suspension setup(actually i have 3 but thats a whole other story) and it measures just over 64" wms to wms. So I was thinking that since i'm going to put a 5.7 hemi out of a car in the truck why not attempt to put the irs out of the car in the truck. what do you guys think? stupid idea?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: IRS in a sweptline pickup?

Post by Txas2step »

Glad you clarified what you meant....for a moment ,I thought the IRS was coming to collect my taxes in a sweptline. :lol:

StinkFinger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mission

Post by StinkFinger »

if your a fraid of a level of fabrication that would require the cutting of your frame i think a full independent rear might be a bit over your head

youngblood00
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: saskatoon

Post by youngblood00 »

StinkFinger wrote:if your a fraid of a level of fabrication that would require the cutting of your frame i think a full independent rear might be a bit over your head
oh it has nothing to do with the fear of cutting the frame it's just that i would rather not do it. I'm more then capable of doing it but would rather not cut the frame.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

You didn't say if its a long box or short box. Either way go find another parts truck with a bad body and use that frame and modify away if that suits you better. Last time I was in Saskatchewan I saw Sweptlines here and there. Next time I go to Harris I may take my car trailer and park some in my girlfriends place back yard.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

You going IFS as well? A Sweptline that doesn't handle like a stern wheeler with a broken rudder... :thinking :lol:

3 late model Chargers? What did you do, package deal at the municipal auction? I'd swap the front seats in as well, steering wheel too if you run the Charger front suspension, the truck wheel is too much leverage on a modern system.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

youngblood00 wrote:what do you guys think? stupid idea?
Nope. Not if you plan it out thoroughly and have $, time and wherewithall to accomplish the
task. :welcome :Thumbsup Several folks here have come up with some nice set ups.

On occasion.... you'll see "in process" trucks pop up for sale here as a
result of someone who didn't :

1)Thoroughly plan out a functional and SAFE suspension
modification.

2)Failed to realize the skill level required to accomplish a
major suspension modification.

3)Did not plan for the [possible] significant cost involved, only to
fall FAR short of $$ funds

4)Tried to "cram" a project requiring many hours of effort
into an already crowded daily schedule, only to see their
project become a place to stack stuff in an already overcrowded
garage.... :lol: This one is familiar to me.... My D100 project
is a winter storage vessel for some of the wife's patio furniture. :banghead :lol:

5)A combination [or all :pale ] of the above.....

Watching a nice truck turn into something just short of a field
"ornament" over a protracted period of time is kind of like death
by 1000 tiny razor cuts.... :lol: :lol: :joker :pale :pale
John :2cents

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Devilbrad went as far as acquiring a Corvette IRS but he never finished his truck. I don't know if he ever installed it either. There was a guy who wasn't on here very long who used a wrecked T-Bird for his front and rear suspension. He finished his truck quickly since he was out of work and then sold it.

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Sounds like a great idea. I agree that a donor frame might be a good idea too if your truck is currently together. I tend to get in a bad habit of making projects irreversible before I have a dedicated plan. :joker

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

I too was thinking the same thing. The mounting points on the rear crossmember are 42" and the frame on my truck is 38". Outside to outside. The only obstacle I saw was the upper mount for the coil spring and the shock. Not to much of an issue with a torch and a welder. Lol. I now work at a late model , inside , primarily chrysler Salvage yard. We have complete units for $350. Complete with brakes. Only the 5.7 come with 3.06 and 2.76 ratios. Although the 3.5 has 3.90 and 3.64 ratios. Now I'm trying to decide what IFS to go with.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central

Post by 66patrick »

I've been tossing around finding a Jaguar sedan from the mid-'70s through the late '90s. I've seen both complete Jag front and rear suspension installs in various pickups of all makes over the years. You can find a good, complete Jaguar four-door sedan on CL from $400 to around a grand, and that is for a running car! The wheel bolt pattern is the same as a Mopar, and any Mopar 15" wheel clears the disc brake calipers front and rear. This would be for the new Twinkie truck, since it has a broken leaf on both the left front and the right rear. Imagine, four wheel independent suspension with rear swing arms, and the ability to lower a Swepty five inches from stock without bags, screwing with leaf springs, or the need for a drop axle! It would handle like...a Jaguar!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote: The wheel bolt pattern is the same as a Mopar, and any Mopar 15" wheel clears the disc brake calipers front and rear.
The wheel bolt pattern for the Jaguar IFS/IRS that is popular for swaps is 5 on 4 3/4. The hub size is large so many GM wheels will not fit without enlarging the center hole. I also hear those inboard rear brakes are a pain and it is easier to pull the whole suspension to do a brake job. Not all years of Jaguar had the inboard rear brakes though so you would have to check what you are getting.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central

Post by 66patrick »

You are correct, the BP on the Jag is larger on the pre-'03 cars.

http://www.vehicle-bolt-pattern.com/

fastr413
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fastr413 »

Sweptline irs: I'm beginning the process of installing a lincoln 8.8 IRS set up in my 68 longed. So far it should be fairly straight forward and I'm using hand built frame mounts to bolt in the lincoln rear end the only real issue so far is that my factory Dana 60 measures 63 inchez backing plate to backing plate whereas the lincoln set up is 59 Inches I have bit decided if I will just use wheel spacers and call it good, or narrow my frame to accept even wider wheels.

fastr413
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fastr413 »

Sweptline irs: I'm beginning the process of installing a lincoln 8.8 IRS set up in my 68 longed. So far it should be fairly straight forward and I'm using hand built frame mounts to bolt in the lincoln rear end the only real issue so far is that my factory Dana 60 measures 63 inchez backing plate to backing plate whereas the lincoln set up is 59 Inches I have bit decided if I will just use wheel spacers and call it good, or narrow my frame to accept even wider wheels.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Occasionally Viper set-ups pop up for sale and some are reasonably priced.

- EM

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Post by Drummerdad »

Sounds like a great idea, but I agree with Hobcobble. Make sure you CAN do it before you try. I am in the middle of a project that has become complicated, but we will persist and finish. I did greatly underestimate the money, time and skill needed to complete it. Its taking longer, and costing more than expected by a great deal.

I have watched an IRS installed into a ford truck, and as you know it wasnt a bolt in. The entire back half of the frame was removed, then the suspension was placed, and a frame made for it, then the last portion of the frame spliced back in. They also had to modify the bed floor. It was a huge effort, but worth it for the effect the wanted. The IRS came from a donor mustang, along with the engine and trans. Killer truck when finished though. Good luck. Hope to see you do it.