spindle nut socket

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
jdavis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno
State: NV

spindle nut socket

Post by jdavis »

I have 66 power wagon with a dana 44 axel in front and need to know what socket to use to remove it. It is a big hex nut, 2 1/2 inches from flat spot to flat spot. Can someone suggest which tool company has the correct socket?? I don't like removing it with a hammer and screw driver. :thinking :banghead

Myascape
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norwalk
State: IA

Re: spindle nut socket

Post by Myascape »

Lisle tools should make one, and there should be one on the shelf at your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store)> :dance

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

jdavis wrote:I have 66 power wagon with a dana 44 axel in front and need to know what socket to use to remove it. It is a big hex nut, 2 1/2 inches from flat spot to flat spot. Can someone suggest which tool company has the correct socket?? I don't like removing it with a hammer and screw driver. :thinking :banghead
I bought mine at my local NAPA. :Thumbsup
John

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

Post by cadman »

It turns out the 2-1/2" is too big to fit inside the hub, and I couldn't locate the correct one at the NAPA or FLAPS. So I ground the corners down on the socket, and it didn't take much to get it to fit inside the hub. Even though the 2-1/2 doesn't fit snug on the flats, it works fine, esp since you're not putting much torque on it:
Attachments
Front spindle socket
Front spindle socket
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.