King Pin Replacement Process

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MrMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lompoc
State: CA

King Pin Replacement Process

Post by MrMopar »

I’m looking for some info on what is involved on replacing the king pins and related bushings on my 1970 D-200.

I have looked at both the Factory service manual and parts books but no clear picture or process to taking them apart and servicing them.

A. Are there bushings in both the axle and the spindles?
B. Does the axle need to be removed?
C. Special tools? Or machine shop?

If this is something that can be done with typical shop tools I know I can do it just need some more information on how all this comes apart and goes together?

I'm pretty sure these are factory and no rust or major grime to deal with.

Thanks,

Alan

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Re: King Pin Replacement Process

Post by JimE »

The easy way to do it is remove the axle and take it to a local machine shop. I have done it twice over the years, it is much cheaper and you don't risk screwing something up. Jim

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I did mine (disassembly and assembly) and it was not too hard. The bushings press into the spindle/hub assembly. The only thing that you won't be able to do yourself unless you have a reamer is fitting the brass bushings to the new kingpin. They come tighter so you have to ream them out to snuggly fit the king pin. You can get them, but if you're only going to do it once, it may not be worth the cost.

I did not take my axle out which would have been a whole other head ache. The hardest part that I found was swedging in the grease caps. Try to get a hammer and chisel in to do the top ones was nearly impossible but I did it. Just get the truck up high enough to do the lowers.

Its also a pain to beat out the old pins sometimes. Take the lock bolt out and then start pounding.

Do a search in the upper right corner and you may see some other notes. :salut

AJwestcoast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Mateo

Post by AJwestcoast »

Hey guys, saw that you'e doing at a similar part in your project as i am. I have a question though, Im doing an axle swap / disc break conversion for my 70 d200, and i was wondering where i could get all new bushings b/c while the axles are appart i want to replace what i can. the axles that are going in are from a 69 d100, so the new set of bushings would need to be for that. Thanks alot

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

same bushings. You can get them on amazon.com for $45

elacruze
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jensen Beach
State: FL

Post by elacruze »

Use a ball joint press to push the pins out.
Take the spindles to a shop that can hone connecting rods-they can line-hone the spindle bushings quickly and more accurately than even the correct reamers. I found this out when my machine shop guy laughed at me for doing it the hard way. :)

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

I had a shop do mine. Pins were the factory issue, took a 20 ton press and heat to budge them. Worth every penny it cost me, with LT235/75-R15 tires on the front it still steers with one finger. And I don't have power assist.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

elacruze wrote:Use a ball joint press to push the pins out.
Take the spindles to a shop that can hone connecting rods-they can line-hone the spindle bushings quickly and more accurately than even the correct reamers. I found this out when my machine shop guy laughed at me for doing it the hard way. :)
Yeah but make SURE they have a mandrel long enough and they know what they are doing. My local shop told me they could do it, $90 later, I reassembled everything and it was a sloppy as before. Turns out his mandrel was not long enough and he honed each side individually until the pin went through. So it was only hitting a couple of spots and in a few miles wore completely out.

So the next time I bought a $120 reamer and did them myself.

daddyfuentes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: riverside

Post by daddyfuentes »

......i was thinking of an aftermarket axle........one setup to change over to disc breakes and power steering.....
....like from jim meyer racing....