sids front axle

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilmington
State: NC

sids front axle

Post by herb »

came in today.3" lowered. going to install it tomorrow
Attachments
002.JPG
001.JPG

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Re: sids front axle

Post by HellBelly »

Keep us posted on this once you get it installed. I'm curious of you run into an issues. Thanks for posting pics!

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

so far only one problem. the tie rods need to be lowered,with this axle, to clear the springs. i got the tie rod drop blocks from sid.the steering arms,out at the spindle area where tie rods bolt on,will need to be drilled out to 9/16" to bolt on drop blocks.sid has a very good tech article on his site droppedaxles.com under f-1 axle install.i will try to get photos and finish tomorrow.way to many mosquitos this afternoon to finish.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

Update.I could not drive the truck around the block at speeds above 30mph. the bumpsteer is horrible,you don't know which way the truck will go. i installed 5 degree axle to spring spacers with thick end toward rear and it is about 70% better,this adds camber. i need to bend the steering arm that mounts to the driver side spindle,the C shaped one, down to put the draglink parallel to the frame,and then tweek the end where the draglink goes so the draglink will line up.according to sid this wll cure bumpsteer forever or until i change something else on front end. the reason i have this bumpsteer problem is because i removed two leafsprings along with the 3" dropped axle.if you keep springs stock you don't have this problem, but the truck doesn't sit low enough for me, so i am trying to sort this thing out.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder

Post by HellBelly »

Thanks for keeping us updated. Can you post a picture of your truck? Would love to see what it looks like lowered.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

here's a few.the back still needs to come down 4" to sit level.no ragging on my truck,it has typical rust problems.i replaced floors.part of the bed and the door bottoms are next, after sorting out lowering.
Attachments
with 3'' axle 002.JPG
with 3'' axle 004.JPG
with 3'' axle 001.JPG
with 3'' axle 001.JPG (34.06 KiB) Viewed 6791 times

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

Post by Dood »

Looks great! I like the color and the white hat.

HellBelly
Founder
Founder

Post by HellBelly »

WOW!! The stance looks outstanding!! Keep us posted on what you had to do to get the bump steer to go away! Once you get it all gone you can explain in detail when you have time. I would like to put this in the tech section as Sids drop axle install or something. Pictures as well.

I think this will help many of us.

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

4 more inches? It looks awesome to me like it is.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

Thanks for the compliments. After reading through nearly 25 pages of suspension/brake help,all the info to do this,is in these pages.Most of it is scattered around and not any of it put in one place,start to finish.Some posts from 2004 i believe,address the bending of the steering arm to cure bumpsteer.This is what i am going to do to fix mine,(soon) and according to sid this is the way to fix it. Sweptline.org has all the info to do this, alot of good info from many long term members helped me find the answers.We should sit down and put all this info in one tech article on how to lower a straight axle front end and not loose driveability as suggested by hellbelly.

skyrodder666
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo/Manvel Tx.

Post by skyrodder666 »

So if you dont mind me asking what'd that drop axle cost you? And it looks like you just got one outright and didnt send him yours to drop? Lookin at this for the future and trying to figure out what it will cost.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

350.00 + 125 core +38.00 shipping.I am sending my old axle back in the box from sid for 125.00 refund. i have to pay shipping back to sid. so basically 350.00.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

Update. Bent steering arm today,the truck now drives as good as ever.bent the arm so that the draglink is parrallel to the frame where the front cab mount is.Bent the arm approx 3'' down,then bent the end where the draglink mounts approx parrallel to the ground.I'm so relieved that this bumpsteer problem is fixed.Now on to the rear! the arm needs to be heated cherry red and held there while you bend it.do not over heat and melt it,then let it cool down naturally DO NOT COOL IT DOWN WITH ANYTHING IT WILL CRACK.I did this by myself with no help so if you have help it will go faster. I will get a pic of what to arm looks like now after bending.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Way to "Cowboy Up" ! :Thumbsup

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

lowered rear today 2 1/2 '' sits right where i want. used rear lowering shackles from autozone . had to cut the top hole off so spring would clear bed.if you do this you will understand what i mean. also a little too wide,trimmed one side of shackle where it fits the frame bracket, fits real good.i had already removed two springs from rear spring pack.
Attachments
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

HellBelly
Founder
Founder

Post by HellBelly »

!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by Hewy »

You nailed it . :Thumbsup

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I like it! :clap

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

Looks great! Got any pics of how you bent your steering arm and modified your drag links? More the better! Thanks M-

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by herb »

some pics,draglink does not get modified only the steering arm,the one shaped like a C connected to the spindle area drivers side.passenger side gets no mods except shims for caster angle.
Attachments
005.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG