sids front axle

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: sids front axle

Post by MikeMc »

Herb, using the rear shackle kit will change your drive line angles. This will make the u-joints out of time and cause a viberation when up to speed.

The C spacer kinda scares me :pale It looks like it will try to twist back and forth as you turn causing the top bolt to come loose. If it was an O specer then it shouldn't twist because the load is on both sides. Please make sure you clean the treads and use high strength lock tight on it.

herb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilmington
State: NC

Post by herb »

I have 2 degree pinion shims on rear springs to get alignment of drive shaft back.Thick part of shim towards front of truck. front tie rod extensions don't move, the ball on the tierod thats greased moves.tierods work just like factory just 2" lower,the C is so you can get a wrench on to tighten.

RyanH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fair Oaks
State: CA

Post by RyanH »

herb wrote:lowered rear today 2 1/2 '' sits right where i want. used rear lowering shackles from autozone . had to cut the top hole off so spring would clear bed.if you do this you will understand what i mean. also a little too wide,trimmed one side of shackle where it fits the frame bracket, fits real good.i had already removed two springs from rear spring pack.
How much did you have to trim? And was it just the bushing that needed trimming or the actual shackle?

Thanks

bamm67d100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Scotts Valley

Post by bamm67d100 »

Your truck is looking great!!!

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Post by RobertGilliam »

Ryan I just used the same part. You must cut the entire top hole off and I had to trim both lower sides down to the bushing. Additionally if you have lowered any additional it is best to drill out the front spring carrier and move it also to correct your pinion angle.

RyanH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fair Oaks

Post by RyanH »

RobertGilliam wrote:Ryan I just used the same part. You must cut the entire top hole off and I had to trim both lower sides down to the bushing. Additionally if you have lowered any additional it is best to drill out the front spring carrier and move it also to correct your pinion angle.

I'm picked up those shackles for my 65 flatbed. There is plenty of room so I won't have to cut off the top hole but I definitely will need to trim the sides. My 64 is axle over but I'm not looking to go that low with my 65 flatbed.

jakas66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntley
State: MT

Post by jakas66 »

Great info thanks for sharing. Recently purchased a 66 and I'm making a list of the things I want to do. Finding many in-depth how to articles on this sight.
1966 D100 Swepline Poly 318/4 speed
1958 D100 stepside Poly 315
1983 2wd Ramcharger 440/OD 4-speed
1977 Power Wagon 318/auto
And a few others lurking about

CaptainGeech
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Battlefield
State: MO

Post by CaptainGeech »

I just want to thank you for everything youve posted , it will be a big help now i know what im getting into on my 65 D100 long bed

CaptainGeech
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Battlefield
State: MO

Post by CaptainGeech »

65 D100 longbed
Attachments
2014-02-27 15.39.28 (640x303).jpg

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

CaptainGeech wrote:65 D100 longbed
Welcome to the site! :welcome :usa :Thumbsup Your
truck looks vaguely familiar. :lol: :Thumbsup
John
'65 D100
'65 D100

abody
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kissimmee
State: FL

Post by abody »

Nice Job!!! Thank you for posting. Looks like it came that way!.

howard37
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maryville

Post by howard37 »

Thanks for the tear shackle info... I am lowering a 1965 d100 . I am going to take from the front with a 5 spring pack, the 2nd and 4th spring out and use the drop shackles on the rear...with new shocks.. Is this s good way from what I have read..??? Thanks

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

herb wrote:so far only one problem. the tie rods need to be lowered,with this axle, to clear the springs. i got the tie rod drop blocks from sid.the steering arms,out at the spindle area where tie rods bolt on,will need to be drilled out to 9/16" to bolt on drop blocks.sid has a very good tech article on his site droppedaxles.com under f-1 axle install.i will try to get photos and finish tomorrow.way to many mosquitos this afternoon to finish.
Herb, so you needed these blocks with the two leafs removed or with out, trying to figure out if I need them if I just put in the dropped -3 axle.

thanks in advance

Oshork67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Haven
State: CT

Post by Oshork67 »

Has anyone had a 1 ton front axle dropped? I have a 67 d200 crew cab and when it's a crew cab 3/4 ton it comes with a 3800lb. D300 front axle in it and compared to a standard axle it's a lot beefier. :thinking

rickg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: scarborough
State: ME

Post by rickg »

when installing the front axle....does the threaded hole for the king pin retaining bolt face the front or back??
i know its a stupid question!!!

howard37
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maryville

Post by howard37 »

1965 d100..Lowered front with 2nd and 4th leafs out of the 5 spring pack and lowering shackles on back.. Drives good but does have bump steer,, it worth it for the Look !oh well it's a 45 mph cruise in truck... 8.5x15 with 225/70r15 front and 10x15 with 255/70r15 ...... 318v8 200hp w/3 on tree. Original radio still works well... FunFun to drive and rare custom cab
Attachments
1965 d100
1965 d100
Last edited by howard37 on Sun May 01, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktree
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elk River
State: MN

Post by Oaktree »

This is what I need to do thanks for all the pictures, hope you still follow post incase I need help

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Look on the seventh page of my build thread viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30545&start=120 and you will see what the installed axle with the 3" drop blocks on the tie rod look like. Note the scrub line, as you are going to want to use 17" wheels or larger to eliminate that problem.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]