Power Steering Conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

Power Steering Conversion

Post by hoffy09 »

I know.....the subject has been beat to death. But I have taken the plunge and could use some help. I have just finished mounting a Toyota power steering gear in my 67 A100. The steering gear came out of an 81 Toyota 4x4 with a straight axle. It is the push/pull style and is a remarkably clean fit. My problem concerns the pitman arm. The splined hole in the Dodge pitman arm is just too small, and I have been unable to locate any machine shop that had the capability of enlarging the hole and recutting the tapered splines to fit the Toyota gear. The Toyota pitman arm is actually within 1/4" of being the correct length, but is bent in an almost "S" shape. I figured somebody has done something similar, since I have heard that this is a really popular box with the rockcrawlers, so hopefully someone can let me know if there is a straight pitman arm out there that will bolt up to this gear box. Thanks.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Re: Power Steering Conversion

Post by WD »

Try LC Engineering out of California. They are considered gods in the early Toyota circles.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

I think this ios what you want.

http://www.trail-gear.com/steering-components

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

LC is great but their specialty is engines. Try Trail Gear or Marlin Crawler they have flat and 3/4 drop pitman arms. Theymight be listed for the 86 to 95 Toy box but they thould fit. I would post links for you but I'm on my phone.

hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

Post by hoffy09 »

Thank you all. I just talked to a rep at Trail Gear and they have exactly what I needed, and it is on the way here. Rock and Roll. I have shimmed the pressure regulator in my pump down to about 800lbs, so I should have some sweet steering.

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

When you get the parts in you post some pic and part number maybe who you talked with at the place you order this part from >

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

The flat Trailgear piece is the way to go!
They aren't clocked, so you can install at any position you want.

I then had to drill out the drag link hole on mine and bolted it to a heim joint, rather than fiddle around trying to find a ball-stud to fit.