Master Cylinder Drum Question...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
mercado
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: seth
State: VA

Master Cylinder Drum Question...

Post by mercado »

Hey guys, i did a search but didn't find anything.
So the problem is i put a new master cylinder but when i put the brake pedal down/plunger in, its stiff going down but then whren i release it it does not come back up and stays down uless i grab and lift up.It was bench bled, no power booster, drums all around, duel master cylinder, 1967 A100 van 318
I shouldn't have to bleed evey drum when i replace master cylinder right? is that my problem?Hey thanks guys i appreciate your help.

ps when i put the pedel down/plunger in i can see the tiny hole open, shouldn't that allow the brake fluid to go to wheel cylinder?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Master Cylinder Drum Question...

Post by Hobcobble »

I would bleed your brake cylinders
starting with the right rear. Jump
to the left rear, then the right front
and then left front.
John

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

every one i have ever done required hours of bleeding the freakin air back out of the system. seems that it doesnt take much to foul the works on these things. plus you have no idea how much air the previous cylinder allowed in the system before you swapped it.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

junior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san bernardino
State: CA

Post by junior »

Could be you are missing a spring? I had the sameproblem with my 55 Chevy 2 ton.A return spring fixed it. :2cents

Oxdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Albuquerque
State: NM

Post by Oxdodge »

:thinking I just had this problem on my truck, I looked underneath the dash and seen there was a rod that wasn't aligned properly so it was pushing on the side of it and not coming back up. You have to push the rod in (really hard to do on manual brakes after you bleed it :banghead and slip it where it needs to go. Basically the pedal needs to push the rod. Have a look under with a flashlight and you should see it.

Also, you should bleed the rear brakes first and then the front (Left rear, right rear, left front, right front). I'm 95% positive that's what the service manual says but I forget sometimes.
2004 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Pontiac Bonneville
1966 Ford Mustang
1965 Dodge D100
1973 Humanoid Caucasian
...all made in USA

mercado
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: seth
State: VA

Post by mercado »

Thanks for all the help!
So, i feel really dumb, i had replaced the old crusty 1/2 bolt(the one that connects the plunger rod with the brake pedal linkage) with a nice shiny new one because im OCD like that. The original bolt has half not threaded, i tightened the new bolt surper tight so it wouldnt come loose but thats what kept the pedal from returning back up.
I swapped them and the brakes work great now.
Does anyone know the name of that special bolt? thanks guys.

ps while i was under the van i noticed that the tranny return line was kinked by previous owner i guess, wish me luck, i had noticed long hard shiffting last few drives.