ditching my power brakes........

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

ditching my power brakes........

Post by wideblock »

i have decided i dont like the feel of my power brake set up and want to convert back to manual. the truck is a 65 d200 crew cab. so, i have the remote power assisted set up that bolts under the drivers floor pan. on the fire wall is what appears to be the single throat manual master cylinder like i had on my 66. and up under the truck is a slave cylinder connected to the vaccume booster. so can i just take the feed line directly from that, and plug into the splitter block and be good to go??? or am i making it too simple?? the tubing runs from the firewall master, into the slave, out of the slave and to the splitter block. then of course theres the vaccume line from the engine, and a breather thats hooked in the cab to take out. if anyone is interested in the set up, let me know. it works perfectly, i just dont like the softer feel of the pedal in such a big truck. ill be loosing the power steering pretty soon as well if i cant find a better pump for it. unless one of you fine gentlemen can hook me up with a p/s cap for the old soup can pump.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Just bypass the power brake stuff per your question. Will work fine. Have done it to a few different vehicles that had the add-on power brakes. Manual pedal is much nicer to me too.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

thats what i thought, but it just sounded too simple :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:Thumbsup Trey would the setup off of my 68 D200 work for you? When you say power steering I'm just guessing that you're talking about the factory 'ram' style. If it would how much of the thing do you need.

Pat

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

iv got a few pumps laying around if thats all you need. send me a picture of what your looking at and ill see what shipping would be.

mopat, if he doesnt go for that "power" steering set up that it sounds like you have, id love to grab it from you, as much as you have anyway. but he goes first.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

if it is a factory setup be sure to get the angled shims from between the front springs and axle - the shims are designed to make the steering have a better fell even though it is somewhat know-nothing anyway - Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

the shims supposedly help, but my 69 had p/s added and no shims and still worked just fine. my pump works fine, the whole system works fine, but im missing the pump cap and im getting fluid all over the place. i have checked all the stores with the same luck i usually get trying to find swept parts. the pump i have, the filler neck resembles a beer keg in shape, it aint the newer style tapered filler.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Trey

Post by MOPAT »

:study Hey bud! Try the chit chat forum where I e-mailed Scott and you can see photos of my trailers and rides.

Pat :lol: