A100 Disc Brake Conversion...I need HELP

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

A100 Disc Brake Conversion...I need HELP

Post by hoffy09 »

I am currently installing a 5.9l fuelie and trans from a 99 Durango RT in My 67 A100 pickup. I really, really, really want to convert the front brakes to discs. I have checked out just about every website known to mankind, and every one I find that has something listed is out of business or no longer making any conversion parts. I am very loyal to Mother Mopar, so I am not interested at all in using Brand X calipers or rotors. If anybody has any ideas, I would love the help.
1967 A100 Pickup 5.9l Magnum w/518 OD
1970 D100 318 Auto
1970 Power Wagon 318 4sp
1989 W100 318 Auto
1989 W150 383 Auto

Dredge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Collins
State: CO

Re: A100 Disc Brake Conversion...I need HELP

Post by Dredge »

Welcome!

I'm finding that these guys are Mopar guru's. I just got my 1st Dodge truck and this has been the most valuable resource I could ever ask for. You may want to check this topic viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23920
If that doesn't have what you need I'm sure someone here has the info for ya :idea
Good luck, and post up some pics!
Early '65 D200 - NO! It doesn't have power windows-power door locks-5 way power seats-cruise control-power steering-power brakes..It's not a car, It's a Truck, a REAL TRUCK!

hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hoffy09 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have already talked to those guys, and their conversion will only work on the D and W series pickups. I guess that the spindle on the A trucks is different. Also, they are no longer selling their conversion parts. I will post some pictures as soon as I am able. The poor truck is recently soda blasted and is looking pretty naked.
1970 D100 318 Auto
1970 Power Wagon 318 4sp
1989 W100 318 Auto
1989 W150 383 Auto

hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hoffy09 »

I had an interesting thought this evening. Since the disc conversions I have found will only work on the D and W trucks, why can't I swap the spindles/knuckles from a D100 to my A100 axle? I know that the king pins are the same, so I would assume that this would be no problem and it would give me the ability to swap to discs. Any ideas out there?

I now have finished robbing the entire engine, transmission, wiring harness, and PCM from the donor Durango. The stinkin' trans does not have the speedo cable drive on the tailshaft, so now I have to figure out what to do about my speedometer. I want to keep the instrument cluster completely bone stock. I am thinking about swapping the tailhousing to a housing from a 90 pickup. It has the speedo drive and looks like it will bolt up fine, since the overdrive units on both trannys appear to be identical. If anyone has any ideas. please let me know.

I plan on posting pictures relatively soon.
1970 D100 318 Auto
1970 Power Wagon 318 4sp
1989 W100 318 Auto
1989 W150 383 Auto

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

if your front spindles look like this then the aftermarket conversions will not work.

now, you could make your own caliper adapter plate and try to fashion something up to use "mopar" calipers and sliders but this discussion has been brought up before - search disc brakes and you'll see where this discussion will go.

Please Note fellow Sweptline members -
if this discussion goes down that same path i will lock the thread as it is not a constructive means to helping a fellow member come up with a solution. if you do have ideas to help this member in creating a mopar-only solutions then please provide a parts list and/or clear photos to back up your claims of a "mopar" only disc conversion.

when i did my disc conversion the only all-mopar kit out there was no longer being sold. i installed the AAJ Brakes kit and it uses Aspen rotors with brand-x (GM) calipers. if i could have used a "mopar" caliper i would have but good luck making it work AND making it safe.

moving on... the reason the GM calipers are the go-to caliper for hot rods is all it requires is a flat plate to bolt to and does not require an additional slider adapter.

going back to AAJ Brakes - if you send Roger a spindle he will fashion up a kit for your application. AAJ services what they sell! i had a minor problem with the rotor adapter shims and he made me new ones and sent them out ASAP.

the brand-x kits may not be perfect but with 5K miles on my truck they are safe. if repetitive stopping is your goal this may be your only solution... unless you feel like experimenting and making your own "mopar" brake set up.

something to note - i just took my truck to the 2010 Mopar Nationals and not one person said anything about the disc brakes... and people were all over my truck.

here is the kit on my truck:

here's my truck:
BEAS-Special_0114_800.jpg
BEAS-Special_5492_800.jpg
hoffy09 wrote:I had an interesting thought this evening. Since the disc conversions I have found will only work on the D and W trucks, why can't I swap the spindles/knuckles from a D100 to my A100 axle? I know that the king pins are the same, so I would assume that this would be no problem and it would give me the ability to swap to discs. Any ideas out there?
i may have an extra D100 spindle you can use to compare. i'll check tonight...

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y