Another rear disc option?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 64836
State: MO

Another rear disc option?

Post by 15austin »

Would this kit work on our sweptys? http://www.jegs.com/i/Right+Stuff/965/MDCRD01/10002/-1 Seems like a good price for everything including e-brake.
It says 8 3/4 but is there more to it that would not work on the truck? What is a green (non-adjustable) bearing?
1969 D-100 Adventurer (with 70/71 grill), 383/727, Weiand Action Plus Intake, 600 carb, Hedman 79250 Headers, Factory A/C, PS, 8 3/4 (489)with 3.23 gears.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: Another rear disc option?

Post by CSS-Registry »

the green bearing is a press-on bearing that eliminates the end-play adjuster for your rear axles. they are a sealed bearing and simply bolt into place.

this set up look pretty nice - i would be a little concerned out the two piece bracket setup. seems to me the scarebird rear disc uses a one piece bracket and still utilizes the GM calipers like this kit.

rotational forces don't exert near the forces on the bracket as say a steering knuckle or gear would endure (at least that is what the Helicoil expressed to me when i showed him the AAJ kit i bought).

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 15austin »

Does the sweptlines have green bearings? Can this be used on my truck? This kit is cheaper than the Scarebird and it has the e-brake.
1969 D-100 Adventurer (with 70/71 grill), 383/727, Weiand Action Plus Intake, 600 carb, Hedman 79250 Headers, Factory A/C, PS, 8 3/4 (489)with 3.23 gears.

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

i put the JW Rod Garage Kit on mine and it required the bearings like that...and the bearings came with it...its cheaper than this JEGS kit but has no e brake $379 shipped was what this cost mine and very easy to install.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

15austin wrote:Does the sweptlines have green bearings? Can this be used on my truck? This kit is cheaper than the Scarebird and it has the e-brake.
the swepts do not come with the green bearing. however, you should be able to convert your swept's 8 3/4 rear to the grean bearing though... you just need to press off the tapered bearings and press on the greenies.
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 15austin »

juddoats wrote:i put the JW Rod Garage Kit on mine and it required the bearings like that...and the bearings came with it...its cheaper than this JEGS kit but has no e brake $379 shipped was what this cost mine and very easy to install.
The Jegs kit without e-brake is $356.99. Dont know if it comes with green bearings though.

15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 15austin »

Do I just go to Autozone and ask for green bearings?

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

To each his own, but I'd rather have my eyes stabbed out than going with green bearings. Even if they hadn't had a ton of problems a few years ago (and they did) I like being able to maintain the adjustment and the tapered bearing has held up very well for decades. If you get rid of the adjustable style, I'll take your adjusters and used bearings if you plan on tossing it all in the trash....

There are other kits out there that allow you to retain the tapered bearings. While expensive, Baer had a kit too. I don't know if they still have it, but it retained a parking brake function and used a number of the off the shelf GM parts. Here's a picture of the Baer kit on the rear for my Superbee (sorry, it is an old picture. This project has been in storage for about 6 years now since I've been back in school)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

now I see why Chrysler has struggled, I would have never suspected so many people would be putting chevy parts on the trucks, when Mopar has disc brakes themselves :pale

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:now I see why Chrysler has struggled, I would have never suspected so many people would be putting chevy parts on the trucks, when Mopar has disc brakes themselves :pale
rather than post something critical of what others are doing why not post something helpful and constructive:

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee uses a corporation rear axle and those equipped with the disc set-up will practically bolt on to a 8 3/4 rear axle. you will need to use green bearings and i don't think the parking brake will work.
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

Looks like Dr. Diff (http://www.doctordiff.com/) has a couple of options as well (including listing the Baer kit).

Using GM parts doesn't bother me. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, it is all made in a foreign country by children who work 12 hour days with not potty breaks. That's the part that bothers me.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

chilort wrote:Looks like Dr. Diff (http://www.doctordiff.com/) has a couple of options as well (including listing the Baer kit).

Using GM parts doesn't bother me. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, it is all made in a foreign country by children who work 12 hour days with not potty breaks. That's the part that bothers me.
:goodpost Well put. :Thumbsup
John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

While I have no personal experience with Green Bearings, I have heard about nothing but trouble. It sounds great b/c you wont have to adjust, but apparently its not that easy. :thinking

I just wanted to ad a backup to what Chilort said. :study

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

i have the greenies on my truck and so far they seem to be working well with no problems. (knocks on wood).

the reason i put the greenies on is in anticipation of putting rear discs on my truck. maybe later this year or sometime next year. i'll probably try to do the jeep conversion.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

That sounds good Ben! :clap

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

I've heard in recent years the reputation of the green bearings has improved significantly because the quality of the bearing has improved. Back when I bought the Baer kit (back when I had a real job) the reputation of the green bearings was that they were total garbage. People were only getting a few thousand miles on them before they went out and the thought was that the couldn't handle the side loading like the tapered bearing. Many applications use a bearing like the green bearing but the 8 3/4 was not designed for that kind of bearing. It sounds like Mopar finally got their poop in a group and there is no longer an issue. I hope that is the case because the cost of the Baer kit is outrageous for no more than you get (from what I recall) and maybe some competition will help drive that down. The Baer kit does retain a parking brake function though and that is nice and many people want that. :2cents

15austin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 15austin »

Man that sucks. Just when I thought I found a reasonably priced rear disc conversion something has to hinder it. Especially when the bearings from Jegs are $100+. That would put this disc conversion up into not reasonabley priced zone.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hobcobble wrote:
chilort wrote:Looks like Dr. Diff (http://www.doctordiff.com/) has a couple of options as well (including listing the Baer kit).

:goodpost Well put. :Thumbsup
John
Wow, and your the one telling me not to cut the NP435 transmount off , because I was messing with high paid Dodge engineers design, but you would put chevorlet parts that were not designed by Dodge engineers, which would be a HUGE safety issue :thinking

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

15austin wrote:Man that sucks. Just when I thought I found a reasonably priced rear disc conversion something has to hinder it. Especially when the bearings from Jegs are $100+. That would put this disc conversion up into not reasonabley priced zone.
Before the others start posting their criticism of my preference for Mopar equipment over chevy parts, as Ben mentioned you can use Mopar parts and it won't cost you as much as if you buy chevy parts and put on your Dodge, did you know that Dodge Dakota Rotors from 1998 with little machining will fit on the front of your truck, along with the calipers and pads? Also the Cherokee rear as mentioned is almost a direct bolt on and don't cost you as much as the kit you were looking at. Also Austin15 I hope you didn't misinterpret my posting as the others did, I realize alot of the people need to have kits available and rely on what manufacturers have available, It amazes me how many man hours are spent by companies trying to get Mopar people to put on Chevy parts, but that kind of goes along with yet another way for the other manufacturers to eliminate their competition.