**NEED** Manual Steering Box For "66"

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
HuffPuff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

**NEED** Manual Steering Box For "66"

Post by HuffPuff »

I Think I need a new(rebuilt)Manual steering box for my "66"
Utiline...I always had a little play in the steering but
....I took a sharp u-turn and then my front passenger side started jerking and keeps getting worse. I still
have steering control..but its all over the road.I just had replaced the tie rods last year and she's a everyday driver and now she's parked in my driveway. I checked the wheel bearings and king pins seem ok. any info?
on a steering box? What do you guys think?
Thanks HuffPuff Athens GA.

shearingmatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shearingmatt »

How much play do you have? With the truck not moving, how much can you turn the wheel? If it will only move back and forth a few in. it is probably not the steering box (anyone want to varify that?) If you are getting a lot more movement than that it is probably the steering box. If there is a lot of play, depending on where it is, they can be tightened up fairly easily. If you do decide you need a new one, send me an Email. I have one I'll sell you. I am inclined to think that your problem is somewhere else though. In my experience, if you have a loose steering box, you don't get one side that jerks like that. What I would recomend is putting the front end up on jack stands. Once you have done that, get down there is wiggle stuff. Figure out if something is loose or broken in there.

Matt
66 D-100 long bed swept
Shearingmatt@yahoo.com

mesman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Largo, Fl
State: FL

Post by mesman »

I agree with Matt, sounds like possibly something in the tie rod or on that passenger wheel to me. The tie rod keeps the wheels in sinc, if it's tight, both wheels would be loose if the steering box was at fault.
I always wanted to be a BEACH BUM!

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

I also have to agree with matt , put her up on jack stands & go from there some parts should move just a little but be tight at the same time , double check the tie rod on the pass side sounds like that might be the trouble :study :thinking
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MarsMonster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle/WA

Post by MarsMonster »

Also check to see that the wheels are all tight before doing anything, you might simply have a loose wheel?