tapered axel removal

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Goldie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

tapered axel removal

Post by Goldie »

How do I remove the rear drums from my D100 w/o hurting the axels. The previous owner must have tried a hammer, cause one is peened over pretty good. I managed to get it off with a puller that bolts to the studs, but the wheel sure came off hard. Before I do that again, am I doing this correctly? Should I use some anti-sieze grease when I put it back together? Maybe I should try to use Jim's CD before I waste anyones time, I just haven't had the time to go through it yet....Goldie :study
63 9 pass fury wagon
US NAVY, 1968 -1972 HS-5, 7, 9, NAS quonset pt. Essex, Wasp, Intrepid, Independence, Forrestal, Saratoga
I didn't do it and if I did I don't remember.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Goldie, the only correct way to remove those is with the puller that you used. They usually bolt to three of the studs and have a screw in the center that you tighten against the axle. Then you hit it with a hammer to break the drum loose. You loosen the nut but leave it on the axle right at the end of the threads. I wouldn't put anything on the axle when you re-assemble it. It should be clean and dry, and the nut should be torqued to the proper torque. Too loose and it will ruin the axle and hub, too tight makes them more difficult to remove.
1969 Adventurer W100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Russ is correct on this. Unfortunatly, my CD would not have covered that about "tapered" axles; as my 68 didn't have those type. My 56 DeSoto does, and I used that tool to pull it out.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489