Spring question...

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Spring question...

Post by WD »

My 69 D100 mutt has the heavy half ton, non-overload 1750 pound rear springs, 1250 pound front springs. I found a 69 D100 Adventurer/Camper Special in a local boneyard. Overload rear springs, in really good shape. However, the weight rating on the VIN plate was listed as 1100 pounds.
Do I have the right springs for my weight rating? Overloads rated at 1100 pound capacity, but my non-overloads at 1750 pound capacity? Seems wrong to me. I'd like to have the overload set, but not if it cuts my load hauling ability.
My truck is part Adventurer, part Camper Special, part base model. Adventurer cab guts, but none of the other trim. Factory installed slide-in camper plug in on cab, brake control output port in rear brake line by the MC. Heavy duty springpacks on all 4 corners.
I plan to add a good amount of weight to the truck come hunting season. Want to make sure I've got it set up properly. Also sees regular heavy use by the Boy Scout program (camporees, Order of the Arrow, weekend trips, etc.).
Thanks,
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

Be careful, as you can put springs on to haul anything,
but the wheel bearings will only take so much before a
wheel passes you going down the road :pale
and tire weight rating needs to be looked at.

Now any overload springs will help keep your
pickup level as they are (my terms) just like adding more leafs to the regular springs, but not making it ride worse
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Fred is right on with this , I think you can still get the heaver wheel bearing set's be sure to let them know it's a D100 camper special aka heavy duty & check on the tire rating for the heaver load :Thumbsup
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Thank you Fred & Cowboy. Was wondering on the ratings because it just seems wrong to me that a Dodge with heavy duty springs is non-overload.

Big wheel bearings? I know you can get an adjuster delete set for the rear axles. Same thing? Front end needs the disc conversion or something. Drums and backing plates are wearing out (thin drums, shoe top pivots bent or coming loose).

I run 6 ply LT235-75-R15 rock crawling tires (they came with the truck). Good ride, good handling, high weight rating. Can't keep air in the very well though. Li'l Red express rims keep cracking the valves. Have a set of 15X8 off a Ramcharger, maybe I'll try those. Going to run 10 ply tires when this set has worn out. Probably in the 31 or 32 inch range. Truck sees alot of off road use. Need the stonger tires anyway.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

wd 31-10-50-15, fit real well anything bigger will rub ,
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE