HELP - bushing interchange question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

HELP - bushing interchange question

Post by CSS-Registry »

howdy all,

i am rebuilding/repainting EVERYTHING on the suspension for my parts pile and was i gonna head to NAPA this week to buy Spring bushings for both the front and rear springs on my 64 D100.

just in case they don't have a number for that year is there any crossover to later years?

mucho thanks,
ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

They are the same for all D100 swepts according to MOOG. I bought new bushings for mine and they were about $22.00 for all 4. I can get you part numbers tomorrow if you need them.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

cudajimmy wrote:They are the same for all D100 swepts according to MOOG. I bought new bushings for mine and they were about $22.00 for all 4. I can get you part numbers tomorrow if you need them.
part numbers would be great - NAPA guys acted like i had two heads - Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

Post by Guest »

Go to CarQuest then. NAPA is starting to hire nothing but under-brained kids where I live, who are too lazy to open a parts book. They have fallen into the Autozone trap, where if it isn't in the computer, it couldn't possibly exist. I get most of my stuff nor from CarQuest or National. A complete kingpin kit from National is $40 something with tax, spring bushings should be $20 or less. And this is an expensive part of the country too.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Anonymous wrote:Go to CarQuest then. NAPA is starting to hire nothing but under-brained kids where I live, who are too lazy to open a parts book. They have fallen into the Autozone trap, where if it isn't in the computer, it couldn't possibly exist. I get most of my stuff nor from CarQuest or National. A complete kingpin kit from National is $40 something with tax, spring bushings should be $20 or less. And this is an expensive part of the country too.
But I've grown so fond of the startled/dazed look I get when they stand in front of the computer and ask, "what year", I say '68...
Long pause with blank stare....
That's when I tell them, "once upon a time when the world was new we had these things we called 'parts books'. They spread all the way across the parts counter of your favorite auto-parts store and you could FIND YOUR FREAKIN PARTS IN THEM!!!!
:dance

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

Anonymous wrote:Go to CarQuest then. NAPA is starting to hire nothing but under-brained kids where I live, who are too lazy to open a parts book. They have fallen into the Autozone trap, where if it isn't in the computer, it couldn't possibly exist. I get most of my stuff nor from CarQuest or National. A complete kingpin kit from National is $40 something with tax, spring bushings should be $20 or less. And this is an expensive part of the country too.
at least the napa guys said bring them a part number and they'll cross ref it - the carquest and autozone guys all said "since it is not in the 'puter we don't carry it." i guess i'll just use ESPO unless someone can give me the part numbers to buy locally...

ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

tell napa and carquest to take a flying leap. head to the local hot rod shop and ask for energy suspension part number 5.2102G, they run about 16 bucks a set, youll need 2 sets to do front and back, these blow the hell out of stock rubber. :Thumbsup each set comes with 8 bushings, 2 per eye that push in from either side, the lube, and new steel inserts that ride around the bolt.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

wideblock66 wrote:tell napa and carquest to take a flying leap. head to the local hot rod shop and ask for energy suspension part number 5.2102G, they run about 16 bucks a set, youll need 2 sets to do front and back, these blow the hell out of stock rubber. :Thumbsup each set comes with 8 bushings, 2 per eye that push in from either side, the lube, and new steel inserts that ride around the bolt.
are these rubber or urethane? - i am looking to go stock so rubber is what i am targeting...
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

Post by Guest »

They come in red, yellow or black. Order black, and you will have the stock look but better ride and handling. Can't tell at a quick glance which is rubber or which is poly. FYI Energy Suspension is poly unless you specify otherwise. Hope they bring out sway bar and end link stuff for our trucks. Would love to tighten up the ride and handling on mine. Not too bad now, but could be better.

Restoring a CSS to stock is an admirable goal. Best of luck, I know it's been in the family since new and deserves the best of everything you can put into it. One fully redone went locally at auction for 65K and change. I gave the buyer the info on this and your sites.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

HIGH PERFORMANCE URETHANE COMPONENTS, is what the box reads. they are black, and i highly doubt anyone could tell the difference by looking after just a few miles on the bushings.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

wideblock66 wrote:HIGH PERFORMANCE URETHANE COMPONENTS, is what the box reads. they are black, and i highly doubt anyone could tell the difference by looking after just a few miles on the bushings.
thanks y'all - i'll see if rollins performance sorta near the gatornationals raceway has 'em

ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

Anonymous wrote:One fully redone went locally at auction for 65K and change. I gave the buyer the info on this and your sites.
i'd like to learn more about this CSS that went for 65K - was it a 318 truck? 426W truck? color? year? fill us in please!
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

65K CSS info

Post by Guest »

Came from the factory black stripes over greenish, 318, 727, 8.75 for early 1966 delivery. A/C, PS, PB, Dart type buckets and console, black carpet. Was put in storage in the 70s, pulled out in the mid-90s.

Left the auction with the original powertrain in the bed. Black stripes over fire engine red. Tinted glass. Mirada black leather buckets. Mercedes black wool carpet. Black leather headliner, door panel covers. Power window conversion. Injected 360 crate engine, full manual valvebody 727, 5 lug Dana 60, 4 wheel disc brakes. Factory PS (chromed, yuck). 18 inch ugly as sin wheels. Side mounted turbo-look supercharger. Black leather tonnuea cover. Chrome front and rear bumpers, with hidden hardware. Full dual exhuast (headers, 3 inch pipes, 40 series Flowmasters, resonator tips). Lowered 4 inches, no bags. Fully boxed frame, powder coated black. Floor shift conversion. Red urethane bushings (custom made).

Yep, the builder bastardized it. Looks nice though. Didn't have my camera with, so couldn't get any pics. Engine swap super sanitary.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Whoever destroyed that truck should be shot. You mess up the generic base models, not thelow production fancy ones. Sheesh. I love modified trucks, but damn, you don't destroy an irreplaceable original. Especially a CSS. Adventurers, maybe. Just a trim package. But a CSS? Get a rope.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

WD wrote:Whoever destroyed that truck should be shot. You mess up the generic base models, not thelow production fancy ones. Sheesh. I love modified trucks, but damn, you don't destroy an irreplaceable original. Especially a CSS. Adventurers, maybe. Just a trim package. But a CSS? Get a rope.
-WD
i agree WD - chop up a stardard issue D100 not a CSS.

however consider this - a CSS with a 318 is a rare machine but in terms of a CSS/HPP 426W package the CSS 318 only trucks have shown up by a margin of 2 for every 1 CSS/HPP 426W in the registry.

it is known that no more than 50 HPP 426W trucks were produced in the 2 years they were offered.
it is undetermined how many CSS 318 or CSS 225/6 trucks were produced in the 4 years they were offered. i would venture a guess at less than 1000 total units from 64 thru 67 but that is pure speculation.

i'd love to see this truck and it sounds like some mad money spent on it!
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

I'm all for improving the ride and handling of any truck. At least the one listed above didn't show a front clip swap in the mods column.

You have any luck tracking down either (?) of the one or two CSS's that left with a Hemi? I know of one that was special ordered with a Hemi, but it wasn't a CSS per the build sheet. Guy wanted a hot rod race truck, had the cash, the factory built it. Cost him a bundle too. I'd love to get my hands on it. I'm not fond of the 426 race Hemi, but to have a factory built one of a kind, might be worthwhile (if I ever win the lottery, he wants almost 100K each time I've seen it listed, with no takers so far).

If someone wanted a modernized CSS, they should have started with a base model. I like clones. I had a 69 Charger with a 2X4bbl BB setup. Came with a 6cyl. Fun, and I didn't have to worry about damaging a rare factory hot-rod. Leave a rare stocker, stock (at least mostly). Upgrading some parts is fine. But to completely devalue a rare rig just for vanity's sake? Or because it is too slow? Give me a break.

That modified truck came from my neck of the woods. I saw it at a show last summer. I agree with the guest poster that it was sanitary, and a damned good looking truck. Except for the wheels, which are a bit too modern for my taste. I don't have any pictures of it either. It probably went at this weekend's collector auction, although, there are dozens of vehicle auction houses around here.

Found another CSS for sale locally, way to far gone to anything with. Blown up /6, no tranny, rear axle tube broken off at centersection, frame split in half under cab. Guy wants $150. Body is pure garbage, no salvagable body parts or glass. Interior completely trashed. First three digits of serial number are 116. Rest is unreadable, been scratched off. Other lines says SPEC. My best guess is he pulled it out of a local lake last year during the annual drawdown. Damned shame. Rear bumper engraved with the name of a Seattle area dealer or installer, not sure, can only (barely) read Seattle, the rest is flaked away. License tab expired in 1968. My guess would be it was stolen, wrecked, and then dumped. Unfortunately, extremely common around here. If it's a hot-rod, and isn't/wasn't garaged, consider it gone.

Happy hunting. I'll see if the red CSS shows up this summer at any of the good shows. If so,I'll try to get you more info.
-WD

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

WD wrote:You have any luck tracking down either (?) of the one or two CSS's that left with a Hemi? I know of one that was special ordered with a Hemi, but it wasn't a CSS per the build sheet. Guy wanted a hot rod race truck, had the cash, the factory built it. Cost him a bundle too. I'd love to get my hands on it. I'm not fond of the 426 race Hemi, but to have a factory built one of a kind, might be worthwhile (if I ever win the lottery, he wants almost 100K each time I've seen it listed, with no takers so far).

Found another CSS for sale locally, way to far gone to anything with. Blown up /6, no tranny, rear axle tube broken off at centersection, frame split in half under cab. Guy wants $150. Body is pure garbage, no salvagable body parts or glass. Interior completely trashed. First three digits of serial number are 116. Rest is unreadable, been scratched off. Other lines says SPEC. My best guess is he pulled it out of a local lake last year during the annual drawdown. Damned shame. Rear bumper engraved with the name of a Seattle area dealer or installer, not sure, can only (barely) read Seattle, the rest is flaked away. License tab expired in 1968. My guess would be it was stolen, wrecked, and then dumped. Unfortunately, extremely common around here. If it's a hot-rod, and isn't/wasn't garaged, consider it gone.

Happy hunting. I'll see if the red CSS shows up this summer at any of the good shows. If so,I'll try to get you more info.
-WD
lot a good stuff in this post.

my truck is not a CSS either but it is a HPP truck in that it has all the go-fast stuff and not any CSS trim package components. my dad bought it new and wanted the HEMI but DODGE would not build it - period. i am REALLY interested in seeing more info on this HEMI truck and its numbers and build sheet to see how it compares to the others in the registry. $100K is probably a fair price on the truck that is one of two to have been built - esp if it's a real 426 HEMI - gotta dot your i's and cross your t's on this one to be safe. i have been searching for the HEMI trucks for a LONG time and everyone uses CSS as a catch-all to even describe the HPP trucks - i bet this is a real deal HEMI truck and i wold bet it is a 65 model year truck simply because my dad wanted the HEMI and had the money but they wouldn't build it. please PM me with contact info so we can discuss this truck in real time.

a slant 6 CSS dataplate should not have and "SPEC" or "SPECIAL" in the dataplate. i am curious about this one as well based on the "SPEC" - only HPP trucks had "SPEC" or "SPECIAL" on the dataplate. there is only one /6 CSS in the registry to date.

keep us posted on the red beast - ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

The clapped out truck has a /6 for sure, but the data plate in fact says Spec in all the boxes. Just like the ID plate photo you posted before. I called the seller this afternoon. It was pulled out of a pond near Centralia Wa last summer. He said he'll try and check the truck through DMV via the plates.

The 100K truck is a real Hemi. 426 race Hemi. Was ordered in 1965, received in 1966. It has a VIN plate that says: Spec. Except for the engine box, which says 426H. 100% factory custom job. Is NOT street legal. I'll see if he's at the show this year. Or if the truck shows up in the local collector rags again. No other way to get hold of him.

His brother collected winged warriors in the late 80s. They are sitting in the pasture, rotting away. Spent so much to get them that he never did anything with them. Has 12, 4 Hemi, rest 440s. Won't come off any of them. :banghead :censored :censored :censored
I'll see what I can find out for you. The Hemi truck owner is in his 70s now, doesn't go to as many shows as he used to.
-WD

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

WD wrote:The clapped out truck has a /6 for sure, but the data plate in fact says Spec in all the boxes. Just like the ID plate photo you posted before. I called the seller this afternoon. It was pulled out of a pond near Centralia Wa last summer. He said he'll try and check the truck through DMV via the plates.

The 100K truck is a real Hemi. 426 race Hemi. Was ordered in 1965, received in 1966. It has a VIN plate that says: Spec. Except for the engine box, which says 426H. 100% factory custom job. Is NOT street legal. I'll see if he's at the show this year. Or if the truck shows up in the local collector rags again. No other way to get hold of him.

His brother collected winged warriors in the late 80s. They are sitting in the pasture, rotting away. Spent so much to get them that he never did anything with them. Has 12, 4 Hemi, rest 440s. Won't come off any of them. :banghead :censored :censored :censored
I'll see what I can find out for you. The Hemi truck owner is in his 70s now, doesn't go to as many shows as he used to.
-WD
the /6 sounds very unusual - maybe it had the VIN switched out.

the HEMI truck sounds AWESOME. please PM me your address and i'll send you some business cards for the registry - this would be an awesome truck to have in it and i think i know a collector who'd pay his price. if you find out his contact info let me know and i'll pass it along to the collector.

ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y