removing king pins

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: chico ca

removing king pins

Post by rd200 »

My 65 d-100 needs new kinpins. I Do not want to damage anything. Do you think it would make sense to remove the entire axle assembly bring it into a machine shop and have them install them along with
the bushings. I am not worried about saving a few dollars.

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Castle Rock/WA
State: WA

Re: removing king pins

Post by Jones »

There's no need to remove the axle. When you get the brake stuff off and your just looking at the hub, on top of the king pin unit there is a round metal disc that needs to come out, along with the bolt alon the side that holds the King Pin in place. Remove these two things and use a drift to tap out the old King Pin. Take the hub assembly to the machine shop and have them press in the new bearings and ream them to fit the new King Pin. Go back home and re-assemble.

If you take the axle in you'll want to get new U-bolts to re-attach the axle, since it's not too safe to use the old U-bolts.

And I don't care what anybody else says, them front axles are HEAVY. Hernia comes to mind when I think about doing what you want to do. :lol:

I did my first set a year or so ago with 0 experience. If I can do it, anybody can do it! :Thumbsup

:2cents
Keith
Last edited by Jones on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Thank you, someone finally using their head. To me thats the only way to do it. Its the way Howard was done, although I admit that now days I have to pay a shop to do the work. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rd200 »

Thanks for the information. I will let you know how it turns out. A local shop wanted over $600 to do the job.I think in the slow economy thay are starting to overcharge.

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jones »

Over charge, boy howdy! I know it won't be $600 to press the new bushings in and ream them to fit the new king pins. Should be less than $75 and that's high, if you just bring in the spindles and put it back together yourself. Shop around a little if there are other machine shops around.

:2cents
Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rd200 »

what is a brass drift? My manual states to use one but where do I find one or purchase one...

Thanks...

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jones »

Drift = punch. I would think you find them at any auto parts store? :thinking I thinkI just used an large old bolt and tapped them out. I don't have a bunch of fancy tools, I'm more like a a monkey with a rock. :lol:

Here are some pictures that might help you a bit. (Look at the bottom picture first, then middle, then top)

Keith
Attachments
King Pins 001bb.JPG
King Pins 001cb.JPG
King Pins 002bb.JPG
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rd200 »

Thanks for all your hard work. It looks fairly simple. My vehicle is so coated in past greasings that you cannot even see any of the bolts. Now I know what to look for. First step will be to wire brush the working areas. Will let you know How I progress.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I need to do this too. :banghead

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jones »

I hear you on the grease build up. The one in the picture is my 62 and all those parts in the pictures didn't match what my book said until I removed the old grease. :pale

Good luck on the rebuild. :Thumbsup

Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Post by hampstead38 »

I jobbed my kingpins out. I remember beating the ones out of my '52... not a pleasant experience. I thougth I'd give a local guy a shot since he had all of the stuff to do the job right including reaming the bushings. I paid too much, but saved myself a headache. It tracks better now, to say the least.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Was it over $200? thats what im wondering. I refuse to pay a crap load for $50 of parts to get installed...... it looks like a PITA though. :censored

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

Disassembly is fairly easy. If you're comfortable working on vehicles, kingpins are simple job.

My local machine shop charged $35 a side to press in the bushings and ream them for the new kingpin.

Reassembly was easy as well.

If it's running, a trip to the local wand wash makes things MUCH easier!!
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rd200 »

I got the king pins out.......Yes... I Will post some photos in a few days once she is together. Other than cleaning 44 years of grease accumulation it was very easy. The drivers side king pin was in a lot tighter than than passangers side. The brass drift was fairly distorted driving out the drivers side. The passenger side I could push out the king pin by hand. That was side making all the noise I did not have to use any heat, just a lot of PB Blaster and some time. Monday I will take the spindles to the maching shop and put it back together. I did have two questions.

1 is it possible to install the new king pins thru the top it seems It be easier to install or does the spindle have some king of taper preventing it from being installed that way?

2 since I have not moved the steering wheel and assuming that it does not move will I need to have the wheels alligned?

Thanks for all the help. This has saved me close to $600.00 The shop owner made it sound like a major project. I did both sides in about 2 hours.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Its only major to your wallet to take it to a shop. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I think i may be taking mine apart in the driveway too then. That will give me a chance to investigate the noisy lifter too. :salut

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Post by hampstead38 »

The driveway is cheaper... trust me. Let me know if you need a hand... or a bigger hammer.

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jones »

rd200 wrote:I got the king pins out.......Yes... I Will post some photos in a few days once she is together. Other than cleaning 44 years of grease accumulation it was very easy. The drivers side king pin was in a lot tighter than than passangers side. The brass drift was fairly distorted driving out the drivers side. The passenger side I could push out the king pin by hand. That was side making all the noise I did not have to use any heat, just a lot of PB Blaster and some time. Monday I will take the spindles to the maching shop and put it back together. I did have two questions.

1 is it possible to install the new king pins thru the top it seems It be easier to install or does the spindle have some king of taper preventing it from being installed that way?

2 since I have not moved the steering wheel and assuming that it does not move will I need to have the wheels alligned?

Thanks for all the help. This has saved me close to $600.00 The shop owner made it sound like a major project. I did both sides in about 2 hours.
1. That's the way I put mine back in. The King pins aren't taperd.

2. Hmmm... Did you adjust the tie rod any when you removed it? If not it might be fine, but it wouldn't hurt if it went in for an alignment.

Yeah, not too major of a project. :Thumbsup

Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500

rd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by rd200 »

Just intalled the king pin set and put it all back together after picking up the spindles from the machine shop. The whole project was about $160.00 in parts. A lot better than the $600.00 plus parts estimate from the auto shop. This repair job was very easy. After putting it all together. I took it out for a test drive went over a few bumps and the right side was still making a large clunking noise. The king pins, shocks and tie rod ends were worn and so I thought they were all contributing to the noise. Since those are now new I had to look at other possible items. I had the wife jump up and down on bumper KINDA SEXY... and looking underneath THE BUMPER...That is... discovered one of the frame mounting bolts had backed off by about 1/2 inch. Tightened that up and the noise went away. I could have swore it was the front wheel...but anyway the front end is now rebuilt... Now on to the next two items, starter replacement and carb rebuild.

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jones »

Excellent!!! :Thumbsup

Glad everything worked out well!

Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)