D300 Disk Brake Conversion: Worth It?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Re: D300 Disk Brake Conversion: Worth It?

Post by PatS »

By the looks of things, both axles are the same width and the spring perches look the same, so an axle swap is possible. I just don't want to get that involved. Switching spindles is much easier when you usually work alone. My days off are during the week and everyone who could help is working.
As I said, this particular project will be a while yet.
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

hampstead38 wrote:Maybe I'm falsely optimistic, but I hope driving a '66 Dodge pulling a '67 Airstream... people would give me a little more elbow room than the average car.
Wishful thinking. My parents have a large motor home (42 foot?), I have driven it several times and my dad also concurs, people actually crowd it and cut it off more so than a smaller passenger vehicle.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

I think you have a great idea, sounds like the swap will work, I'm sure everyone is eagerly waiting for the results.
cleanfingernails, I really think that you would be impressed with the stopping power of disc brakes, not to mention the safety aspect. I've never seen a caliper fail and not work, but I can't count the number of wheel cylinders.

That reminds me, seem that I read somewere once that the DOT mandated disc brakes after 1972 build cars and a year or two later on trucks. Of course that was way before my time and my memory is terrible.

nfury8 reminded me of the other post.
Your 100% correct. I hold a CDL from a previous job. What Ifound is this, the bigger you are and the slower you can stop or steer the closer and crazier everyone else drives around you. My dad works for the DOT/FRA and he has been pushing for a new way of thinking. Trains ALWAYS have the right of way Correct?, so why don't bigger and older autos. Why do pedestians have the right of way? This doesn't emply that a driver should not be alert, it just means that people need to use thier heads more. When I'm walking in a parking lot I always watch for auto's because I don't really want to get run over regardless of what the law says. The only place that I've ever seen any body give more room to older rigs is in North Idaho and the reason for that is Everyone is affraid of what might fall of the old thing in front of them. :lol:
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

What do you mean,Jimmy? :joker
IMG_7738.JPG post.jpg

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

jimmy wrote:

That reminds me, seem that I read somewere once that the DOT mandated disc brakes after 1972 build cars and a year or two later on trucks. Of course that was way before my time and my memory is terrible.
Seems to me in 75 Dodge went to discs on the 4 wheel drive trucks, that was also when they went to full time 4 wheel drive. You couldn't get discs on a Dodge 4x4 before 75. :study That is why the 1980 model is recommended. Disc brakes, lock outs, larger bolt pattern on the 1/2 tons, newer front axle design without the bearing problem and NP205 transfer case(1 year only-In 81 they went to the NP208). Discs were available on Dodge trucks in 72 and may have been standard in 73. Ford 1/2 ton discs were first available in 73, 3/4 tons in around 68. GM trucks I believe were available with discs in 1970. I don't know when it was manditory though. I'd have to look it up.
jimmy wrote: Why do pedestians have the right of way? This doesn't emply that a driver should not be alert, it just means that people need to use thier heads more. When I'm walking in a parking lot I always watch for auto's because I don't really want to get run over regardless of what the law says.
I do a lot of walking and I've nearly been run over in cross walks and on the sidewalk because drivers are so impatient. They can't wait 2 seconds for someone to cross the street or driveway. I always have the right of way when this happens too.

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA

Post by PatS »

Pedestrians have the right of way, but sadly, a vehicle has the right of weight!!!

Keep your eyes open and don't assume a driver sees you.
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

digdoug-- I think I've followed you before! I thought the guys in Idaho would like my referance!LOL :lol: Youv'e got a nice collection, it's true what they say, those who've got just keep on gett'in LOL :salut :clap

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about how I drive, I was just trying to make the point that pats did very well.

soopernaut, I think that the years were diferant for trucks and cars making the switch to Discs.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton
State: MD

Post by hampstead38 »

Oh, I drive defensively and I try to be a good neighbor and pull over when folks stack up behind me. I have no idea where everyone is going in such a hurry.

I know people make poor decisions, but generally folks have been OK about the Airstream. Maybe it's enough of novelty to where folks are willing to cut me a little more slack. Or maybe it's the .30-30 in the gunrack? :lol:

mikeys_toy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilkeson wa

Post by mikeys_toy »

I dug this old post back up as I am in the midst of this swap.
I scrapped out a '74 Winnebago brave for the parts to convert my 61 D300 to 8 lug and disc brakes.
The winnie had only 62,000 mi so I'll be using the entire front axle. Id like to take the opportunity to swap in the winnie sway bar as well.
the 61 has a dana 70 with 4.88's, the winnie has a dana 60 with 4.88's. does anyone know if the 8 lug hubs and backing plates will swap onto the dana 70 tubes? if not, i'll be swapping the axle over.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

jimmy wrote:Looks like your onto something! Do the spindles measure the same? They sure look the same. I had another idea on the way home from work.
Why couldn't you get a front one ton dana 60 from the 80's to 93' and cut the welds that hold the knuckles to the axle tube, replace the knuckles on correct lenght DOM tubing. You could place the spring perches were you want. You could use a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy because you would'nt care if it was left or right yoke. you would be gutting everything but the knuckles.
I had a 95' Heavy Duty 3500 or 4500 2wd Chevy work truck that was a straight axle. The truck had factory 19.5 wheels. Just more options!

I'm a big Disc Brake Fan. I up graded my 69' crew cab with a 92' dana 60 for disc's and I love it. Very simularly to nfury8's Fury I used a factory parts to convert to disc's on my 65 Satellite and is stops better that most new cars. It a huge peice of mind.

Just think back to U S Postal jeeps and also Scouts. 2 wheel drive. Used ends of 4 wheel drive axles welded on a hollow tube to make a straight axle. The Dodge Ram HD Cab n Chassis 2 wheel drives had a straight axle on the front from 94 and up to ???? Ford HD one tons also for a number of years. Maybe one of those could be used. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

2008 3500 dually has the hollow tube front axle.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Ev3rydayGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: moreno valley
State: CA

Post by Ev3rydayGarage »

mikeys_toy wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:33 pm
I dug this old post back up as I am in the midst of this swap.
I scrapped out a '74 Winnebago brave for the parts to convert my 61 D300 to 8 lug and disc brakes.
The winnie had only 62,000 mi so I'll be using the entire front axle. Id like to take the opportunity to swap in the winnie sway bar as well.
the 61 has a dana 70 with 4.88's, the winnie has a dana 60 with 4.88's. does anyone know if the 8 lug hubs and backing plates will swap onto the dana 70 tubes? if not, i'll be swapping the axle over.
How did the swap go? I’m looking for rim and brake options for a 64 D300