D300 Disk Brake Conversion: Worth It?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

D300 Disk Brake Conversion: Worth It?

Post by Cleanfingernails »

On another thread I asked how to convert from original drum to disk brakes. The responses were illuminating. I now conclude:
A. Unlike 1/2 ton Sweptlines, no-one has devised a great conversion kit for one tons.
B. Because of the different front end configurations between the 1 tons and 1/2 tons, the ready-made, reliable conversion kits for D100s will not work on D300s. In short, a D300 conversion is more involved.
C. Today’s disk brakes are great at dissipating heat, but because no kits for a D300 conversion are made, if I do convert, one likely source of parts would be from other vehicles, such as vans, built in the 1970’s.
Do you think these conclusions are valid? If they are, I further conclude that I will not attempt to convert to disk brakes. Why? It is not a matter of money, but limited enhancement of braking capability. My drum brakes, which I can keep in great condition, have never failed me. I would love to have the 2009 state of the art disk brakes installed, but how? I know of no-one who can guarantee state of the art disk brake performance. Thus, if stuck with converted 1970’s disk brake parts I do not feel the payoff in enhanced reliability will be appreciable. Please let me know if you feel this analysis is wrong. I’d rather stop with the devil I know (1963 drum brakes) than the devil I don’t know (attempted customization to disk brakes without a track record of reliability). Thanks everyone and I welcome your responses.
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton
State: MD

Re: D300 Disk Brake Conversion: Worth It?

Post by hampstead38 »

I honestly don't know what I'll do about the front brakes on my D200... but here's my general theory. There's no question that disc brakes are superior, but properly maintained and properly used drum brakes are perfectly adequate for most situations.

My general sense is that the average American driver doesn't really know much about the art of driving. How many people can even drive a stick anymore? I've watched people ride the brakes down double-digit grades... apparently oblivious to the value of downshifting and compression braking.

If I wanted to "rod" the D200, I'd worry more about the conversion. My plan is to haul, tow, push and shove... in other words, do exactly what the truck was designed to do back in '66. I figure as long as I take it easy, think ahead, drive carefully and intelligently, the drum brakes will be fine. So, if someone like Scarebird puts out a D200 kit that looks as good as the D100 setup... why not? Otherwise, it worked back then. It can work now. Of course, that's just what works for me.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

While I agree most people don't understand drum brakes and they did do OK in the day, many times
they are poorly maintained which also contributes to problems today. However while they did get the
job done in the day, everyone else on the road was also running around with the same brakes and
generally understood that they needed a little extra room. Tailgating 5 feet off someones bumper
wasn't the common place it is today.

Disc brakes, even 70's vintage, can be a huge improvement. Don't discount the age. Not much has
changed in the grand scheme of hydraulics. Generally speaking, the older systems can actually be
more powerful in some cases. This is most evident in newer cars, they are so much lighter and
have much smaller rotors and calipers. Example, I put a 73 setup on my 69 Fury, and It will implant
your teeth in the dash!
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

I agree that tailgating is an issue. When push comes to shove, I'm not going to argue against anything that materially improves the safety of a vehicle. At the end of the day, however, the best approach for your D300 might be a front axle swap to IFS, disc brakes and power steering.

As for disc brakes, I have an '04 Titan where the front brakes were recalled due to rotor warping. The brakes were simply was not sized properly for the truck.

Maybe I'm falsely optimistic, but I hope driving a '66 Dodge pulling a '67 Airstream... people would give me a little more elbow room than the average car.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If money is not the issue there are companies out there that will build disc brakes to fit any vehicle. I've seen the ads.

Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cleanfingernails »

Please forward an ad if you see one. Would I need a whole new front end?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

I second the request for ads. I don't have a problem staying stock. On the other hand, I don't have a problem with a rugged, reliable conversion to disc on the front end. I would want something very heavy duty... as would anyone doing any towing. There's another thread about a motor home swap that looked interesting. I'll need to check that out.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Here is one... http://www.braketechsolutions.com/BTSV101/customkit.php

Here is another that basically says the same thing however there is a list of vehicles below. I don't know if it applies only to the vehicles on the list or if they'll really build anything.

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek
State: CA

Post by tinbasher »

you could always put in a cummins with an exhaust brake. i hear they work pretty good. lots of money though but you improve things both coming and going.

it might even work out cheaper to do the cummins transplant than the brake conversion. the braking system on my 93 w250, even with the disks on the front is no match for the weights it has to pull. it even has a tough time with panic stops when the truck is empty.

Bob
Bob

63 D300 313 4sp
93 W250 Cummins/auto
74 W200 Power Wagon 360 4sp
88 B350 360 auto
76 American Clipper 440-3 auto
99 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 4sp auto

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Just Suspension offers custom built brake systems for cars, probably would do a truck.
You would have to call them and chat with them. Their tech people are excellent to
deal with on the phones.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

soopernaut wrote:Here is one... http://www.braketechsolutions.com/BTSV101/customkit.php

Here is another that basically says the same thing however there is a list of vehicles below. I don't know if it applies only to the vehicles on the list or if they'll really build anything.
It looks like I never included the 2nd link. I don't remember what it was. :lol:

Ziggy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baden
State: PA

Post by Ziggy »

What are your expectations??? Disc brakes started going on cars in the sixties as an option and by the seventies was standard on the front end of most vehicles. As time went on, more and more vehicles got discs in the rear too. Most braking power is in the front, so front discs are a bigger deal than rear ones. I prefer discs more for the ease of maintenance than any drivability issues. Properly sized and maintained drums work pretty good, but the springs are a PITA.

Nothing has really changed with brake technology mechanically since the disc brake was first put on production vehicles. The main change in technology is anti-lock. If you want anti-lock, you are talking about sensors, wiring, computers, lots of time & cash too. The cheapest way I can think of is the straight axles out of a 90s F350. I know they started rear anti-lock by 87 abut I'm not sure when they switched to 4 wheel anti-lock. Super Duty trucks had rear discs too. The frame width should be about the same as the Swepties. I'm not sure of the other brand's set ups...I think Chevys are all independent fronts on the 1 tons. If I remember correctly, F-350s used a straight axle with leafs at least until 98. You would also need wires and computer, etc from the donor vehicle. 250's are twin I-beam, only 350s are straight. Most 350s are duallies, but some are single rear.

Ziggy

jarrod1964
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: spencer
State: IN
Location: North east corner of Greene county, south central Indiana, just west of Bloomington

Post by jarrod1964 »

I haven't checked in a while, but there was a company called "AAJ Brakes" you can google it, thats how i found it, he showed a kit for the D-100's, but i also remeber seeing something about the D-200's, I did actually call and talk to him, he acted as he worked with a lot of bigger trucks, he seemed resonable, at that time the disk conversion kit was $250 for the caliper mounting bracket and bearing spacers, and he gave you a list of part numbers to by at the local parts store, there were also fuller kits with higher prices, what i seen with the just suspension kits as well as others are they use aluminum hubs, for me it just does not seem to sturdy. As with the other 1 ton truck axles, i work in a truck shop, i personally seen some early 90's chevy 1 tons with straight axles,
jarrod 1964

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

My 73 Winnebago motor home was on dodge 350 or 400 rated running gear. It had disc brakes on the front. This front axle might swap into your truck with little or no mods other than master cylinder and lines. If you can find one to look at you can measure it up and see if itlooks like it will bolt in. Should be reasonably cheap to buy if you find one in a junk yard.
1969 Adventurer W100

Ziggy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baden
State: PA

Post by Ziggy »

Been seeing a lot of complete motorhomes on CL for next to nothing lately.

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

I got under my 1975 Champion Motorhome today to take some pics of the axle and disc brakes.
It seems that the spindles could be installed onto a similar axle, or the entire axle could be swapped.
Here is a pic of the kingpin of my D300 for comparison.
They sure look the same to me.
I guess comparison of the kingpin or spindle part numbers would also confirm if they are interchangeable.

Motorhome axle end with disc brakes:
ImageImage
Last edited by PatS on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

I was thinking the same thing, Staight or Beam (or what ever you chose to call them) axle designs have changed very little for fifty years. The big change in them from what I can tell is King Pin/Ball Joint style and Brakes. The trick is finding one that would work width, mounting, and cap. wize. I would venture to say that one with disc brakes will have a higher cap. rating too. I say this because the GVW of most trucks have gone way up in the past twenty may be thirty years. Trucks wouldn't get a heavier GVW with out being stronger.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

I'm not going to switch axles, I'm just going to see if I can switch spindles (Steering Knuckles) I should replace the kingpins in the D300, so instead of putting the original back on, I'm going to see if the disc brake spindle will fit in its place.
When I buy the kingpins for the D300, I'll check out the part number for the motorhome kingpin. Hopefully they are the same. Likely end up just checking by doing.
That gives me factory disc brakes in a bolt on "kit".
I also get rid of the split rims and the obsolete bolt pattern. Parts are easier to come by as well. Win win win.
I might have to use the motorhome tie rod, we'll see.
Not sure when I'll get at this project...2 dozen ahead of it!!!

The motorhome also has a rear end identical to the D300 except for the bolt pattern, ratio and wheels, all of which are better than the stock bits anyway.
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

Looks like your onto something! Do the spindles measure the same? They sure look the same. I had another idea on the way home from work.
Why couldn't you get a front one ton dana 60 from the 80's to 93' and cut the welds that hold the knuckles to the axle tube, replace the knuckles on correct lenght DOM tubing. You could place the spring perches were you want. You could use a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy because you would'nt care if it was left or right yoke. you would be gutting everything but the knuckles.
I had a 95' Heavy Duty 3500 or 4500 2wd Chevy work truck that was a straight axle. The truck had factory 19.5 wheels. Just more options!

I'm a big Disc Brake Fan. I up graded my 69' crew cab with a 92' dana 60 for disc's and I love it. Very simularly to nfury8's Fury I used a factory parts to convert to disc's on my 65 Satellite and is stops better that most new cars. It a huge peice of mind.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab