D300 Disk Brake Conversion

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

D300 Disk Brake Conversion

Post by Cleanfingernails »

Prior postings in this forum lay out very specific ways to covert to disk brakes on a D100. The camper on my D300 is heavy, sits on duallys, and I go up and down mountains; I feel it would be prudent to convert to disk brakes for safety. Anyone disagree? If I convert I want to get it done on the nuts right. What exactly is the difference between a D100 and D300 conversion, and, is there a kit specific to a D300 conversion? Thanks in advance.
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Re: D300 Disk Brake Conversion

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I don't recall hearing of anything other than the 1/2 ton conversion either. But I've often wondered if something could be put together. There's lots of meduim duty trucks with disc brakes and straight axles out there. You might get lucky and find something that has a similar king pin size so you can swap the whole assembly. But if not, I'm sure that there is something out there that could work. :thinking :study

Good luck and keep us updated! I'm sure others will follow if you decide to lead on this. :Thumbsup
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

This out fit makes rear disc setups for Dana 60 and 70
www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com
Pat
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I think your biggest hurdle will be finding rotors for the front in the correct 6 bolt pattern. :thinking
For the rear, the Ugly Truckling conversion for W300s would work.
http://www.uglytruckling.com/Sweptline% ... anual1.htm
Maybe not,It says for single rear wheel, not duel.

Ziggy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baden
State: PA

Post by Ziggy »

I have a ten lug D 70 HD out of a 78 GMC motorhome with factory disc brakes. I've been trying to sell it on CL. I have the stock independent front suspension from the same vehicle. If you are interested, let me know. I can even include part of the frame.

Anything you put on the front or rear can probably be redrilled for the six lug pattern, but I'd get the balance checked. The biggest problem is hub size if you are staying with stock rims.

Ziggy

65david
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sunnyvale,CA

Post by 65david »

The D300 has a different master cylinder setup and 6 lug hubs. I don't know of a kit to do that conversion. If you're sticking with the original rims you may need spacers. I've never had my drums fade on me yet but if we're talking safety I'd say that single reservoir master cylinder is far than ideal.
Cleanfingernails wrote:Prior postings in this forum lay out very specific ways to covert to disk brakes on a D100. The camper on my D300 is heavy, sits on duallys, and I go up and down mountains; I feel it would be prudent to convert to disk brakes for safety. Anyone disagree? If I convert I want to get it done on the nuts right. What exactly is the difference between a D100 and D300 conversion, and, is there a kit specific to a D300 conversion? Thanks in advance.

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

How about swapping the whole front axle from a newer Dodge truck with disc brakes...I'm looking at that option for my 62 D300, it would also get rid of the 17 inch 6 bolt split rims :)
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cleanfingernails »

Pat, that is an interesting approach: swapping the whole kit and kaboottle. Anyone out there try it? Any huge downsides? In terms of safety, does a power booster contribute to safety, or is it fundamentally just a convenience item for the foot?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I'm not following here. :thinking How do you swap in a newer axle with factory disc brakes on a 2 wheel drive truck? The disc brake trucks are all independent front suspension and it all attaches to the frame. You will have to cut the frame and splice it or swap the entire truck onto the newer frame. If you are talking about a 4 wheel drive truck it would be a W300 not a D300 and that is do able. Or could you be talking about medium duty trucks? I believe they were all drums until the 2000s when Dodge got back into the medium duty truck market. Those axles are probably too wide and expensive.

Ziggy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ziggy »

Not sure what Mopar parts would work, but maybe 67-73 Ford spindles would work. They still used king pins on the twin I-beam and did offer disc brakes those years. I'm not sure on the king pin size.

73-87 Chevy trucks had independent front suspensions that bolted to the frame. You might be able to make this work.

Ziggy

PatS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Calgary, AB, CANADA
State: Foreign

Post by PatS »

soopernaut wrote:I'm not following here. :thinking How do you swap in a newer axle with factory disc brakes on a 2 wheel drive truck? The disc brake trucks are all independent front suspension and it all attaches to the frame. You will have to cut the frame and splice it or swap the entire truck onto the newer frame. If you are talking about a 4 wheel drive truck it would be a W300 not a D300 and that is do able. Or could you be talking about medium duty trucks? I believe they were all drums until the 2000s when Dodge got back into the medium duty truck market. Those axles are probably too wide and expensive.

I have a 1975 Champion motorhome on a Dodge chassis with a solid front axle. This particular one has drums but I have seen them with discs on a solid front axle.
I would think, as far as swaps go, it would be fairly straight forward. A little head scratching and problem solving for sure but should work.
1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor Parts Car
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
2000 Dodge Caravan

One day we're here
The next we're gone
We always take for granted
That we wake at dawn.

junkyarddodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by junkyarddodge »

If you look around you should be able to find a mid 70's motorhome that has the disc brakes on the straight front axle. I have a 76 winnebago frame and running gear sitting out back with the disc setup and it looks like it would be easy to put in an older sweptline other than the wider leafs on the front. Or just cut and paste the frames together. junkyarddodge

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

So do all these motorhomes have a wider axle than the Sweptlines. Will the brake parts and/or spindles swap if the axle is too wide? Also what tonnage are these things. It's not something I'm considering since I have a 1/2 ton but I am curious.

junkyarddodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by junkyarddodge »

I don't know offhand if the axle itself is any wider than the sweptline one but the leaf springs on the front are 3" wide. The frame looks just like the ones on the sweptline 1tons but has a power steering box mounted in front of the axle that stands up to mate up with the forward steering position in the winnibago. It also has a hydroboost system for the brakes. I will try to get some pics and post them. junkyarddodge

caseman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ithaca
State: NY

Post by caseman »

Cleanfingernails wrote:Prior postings in this forum lay out very specific ways to covert to disk brakes on a D100. The camper on my D300 is heavy, sits on duallys, and I go up and down mountains; I feel it would be prudent to convert to disk brakes for safety. Anyone disagree? If I convert I want to get it done on the nuts right. What exactly is the difference between a D100 and D300 conversion, and, is there a kit specific to a D300 conversion? Thanks in advance.
Would the Axals from a ford 450 Model work,sence they are Straight Axals on the Front with Disc Breaks, all so by changeing them you would get the Heavy Rims With 8 Bolt ! Just a Thought !!

Ziggy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ziggy »

I was looking in my old Hollanders last night. the D300 P/U spindle for 69-71 is also used on forward control 69-78. Some of these at least had discs. I'm guessing that the rotors would fit your spindles and the calipers mount somehow. I will try to scan the pages at home and post them. My internet at home is not so good, so I mostly post at work during lunch. :pale

Ziggy