Best bet for body mounts found

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Best bet for body mounts found

Post by nfury8 »

A lot of this is repeated from my Crew Progress thread, but felt it was important enough to share in the proper section.

My crew needs body mounts and I have been chasing dead ends for awhile now. I have checked with Steele, Restoration Specialties and most of the other typical suppliers of such. Nothing. All along I have kept thinking the 72-93 Lifestyle trucks were going to be good candidates, but never found the proper specs.

Today I spoke with Energy Suspensions again, and this time the tech mentioned that they had ONE distributor that they allow to sell individual bushings from the kits. They also had size specs available for comparison. It is a complicated process to go through, but it gave me the results I needed.

The supplier is http://www.suspension.com. The individual listings are located at http://www.suspension.com/BODYMOUNT.html. To find the specs on the 72-93 Dodge, I had to find the Dodge part number, 5-4101 and then look it up this page http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/instshts.html to get the instruction sheet number and then get the instruction sheet on this page. http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/page_pdfs.html From the instruction sheet I can get the individual part numbers to find on the suspension.com site. The instruction sheet is at:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pdf_instruc/17070.PDF

After a bunch of digging I was able to come up with this:
The top rear cab mount is 4094 - it is 2.39" in diameter, and 1.38" tall. The step that fits into the frame is 1.145" in diameter and the hole in my frame is 1.1875". The bottom section is 4096- it is 2.417" in diameter and 1.555" thick. The hole is 0.7", so you could probably use a thin sleeve around your .5" bolt if desired. These are pretty darn close to what I pulled off my trucks.

The kit also includes a 0.94" front cab mount and 4 .5" pucks for the core support. If the kit parts were used instead of the stock belting, the cab would probably pick up about a 1/4" body lift.

You could just order 4094 & 4096 and use belting, but here is where it gets weird. According to the Suspension.com website, all single piece orders are special orders, and take 4-6 weeks. They must also be paid for before the order is sent the Energy. However, Energy doesn't provide a price list, so they don't know how much the parts will be until AFTER they arrive from Energy. Perhaps Suspension.com can offer more insight before you order, but sounds like you sign on for a blank check order.

The kit is $64 from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... NS-5-4101G and Prothane offers a kit that is $12 cheaper, but it is currently back ordered on Summit. That price seems pretty fair to me and new Poly bushings on all cab points sounds good to me.

Stay tuned, I should be ordering a set this week as a guinea pig!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: Best bet for body mounts found

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

:goodpost Excellant research and information :Thumbsup

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

The following is a duplicate post from my Crew Progress thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14030&p=117896#p117896

It seemed logical to have this stand alone in its own thread also, so it might be
easier to find if searching. More likely to look in the Shop Talk area than the
Photos.

---------------------------------

The new mounts arrived yesterday and installed pretty easy. I did have to make
a couple minor tweaks. They obviously are stiffer than pure rubber, but do have
some flex when squishing in your hands. They are still softer then the 38 year
old ones I took off!

This is the kit picture from Summit.

Here are some comparison pictures. The left is from my W200 Crew, the right is
from a D100 I parted out. Notice the crew is slightly taller, it appeared to have
an extra washer on the top side.

The Bottom cushion was the same on the W200 and the D100.

Notice the new bottom doesn't have a recess in it.

The pucks for the core support.

The various hardware included:
2 - 1.2" sleeves
2 - 1" sleeves
4 - 2.5" washers w/ 3/4" hole
2 - 2.5" washers w/ 1/2" hole
6 - 2" washers w/1/2" hole

I need extra lift to get my cab floor to clear the transfer case, even though I made
a new tunnel, I was limited to the width by the seat belt anchors. My early guess was
I would need an extra 1/2". So I decided to use the front mounts from the kit, which
are .94" according to Energy, I should have checked that. :thinking Since they have
a register on them, like the rears, I shaved it off with a knife. Pretty easy going.

Then the rears needed the register added. This was actually a really easy fix.
I took a 1-1/4" hole saw and mounted the pilot bit in backwards, so just the smooth
shaft was sticking out. The hole saw was then chucked in a drill press and the bushing
was clamped in a small machinist vise, to the point it just started to deflect, but had
good grip. I lowered the hole saw down so the pilot was inside the center hole of the
bushing and slowly started moving the saw up and down as I kept repositioning the
clamp with the bushing. Once the outer edge was established, I could hold the saw
steady at one depth and slide the clamp around, working it like a router. The depth
was slowly increased till it matched the old lower cushion. It would have been easier
if the drill press had a depth stop, but this one didn't. After I was done, I spun the
bushing 90 degrees to compensate for the slight deflection and cleaned up those sides.
They really didn't need it.

The hole saw with the pilot in backwards.

An example of how I used the pilot to maintain a uniform width.

The result, old bushing and uncut bushing.

After they were mounted, I needed to install the 1/2" pucks for the core support on
top in the back for a little extra lift to make everything happy with the transfer case.
I will probably replace them with a couple aluminum pucks, since the pucks will
most likely be needed to level the core support now.

As it sets now, nothing is torqued, just held in place by the cabs weight.
The cab has a 2 degree rack compared to the frame. Not sure what is normal.
I will have to check my Adventurer.

All in all this was super simple, took less than an hour. However, all my bolts were
new and came out by hand. :lol:

Lowdown
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Severn
State: MD

Post by Lowdown »

Thanks for doing the research. I just ordered the kit from Summit this evening.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

BOOKMARK. :study

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

I used exactly the same mounts, but I was lazy and did not groove the rear ones. They work fine. I did cut the little lip off the front mounts, and I used longer bolts so that I could use both halves of the lifestyle mount. No particular reason, I just thought it looked better that way. I had to space my core support mounts by 3/8" to make the fenders line up with the cowl.

2318PowerWagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lakehills
State: TX

Post by 2318PowerWagon »

I too just ordered this kit and will be using it under my 1970 W200 restoration project my son and I are doing. thanks for the research and info!
Justin M. Blair

Bagged67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Angelo
State: TX

Post by Bagged67 »

What size are the bolts and where did you get the new ones?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

nfury8 wrote:
Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 pm
The supplier is http://www.suspension.com. The individual listings are located at http://www.suspension.com/BODYMOUNT.html.

The kit is $64 from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... NS-5-4101G

Prothane offers a kit that is $12 cheaper, but it is currently back ordered on Summit. That price seems pretty fair to me and new Poly bushings on all cab points sounds good to me.
The bushings I'm looking for are those for mounting the NP201 transfer case on a '68 W200. Ya Think?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Zorros
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Alexandria
State: VA

Re: Affordable office movers near me

Post by Zorros »

robertob wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 pm
I used exactly the same mounts, but I was lazy and did not groove the rear ones. They work fine. I did cut the little lip off the front mounts, and I used longer bolts so that I could use both halves of the lifestyle mount. No particular reason, I just thought it looked better that way. I had to space my core support mounts by 3/8" to make the fenders line up with the cowl.
good)

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hey Zorros - DONT BE SPAMMING THE BOARD FOR YOUR DAY JOB!