Lowering options?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Re: Lowering options?

Post by HellBelly »

How do these things ride when you remove leafs like that?
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Hellbelly
I've been runnin on 4 leaf packs, for years, along with Ranco 5000 shocks, can't tell the difference.
I'm wanting to try the flip every other one to see if canceling the arch in this manner works :study
I need to drop mine about 5"

motomatt383
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Durham, NC
State: NC

Post by motomatt383 »

i ran my truck with 1 spring removed from the spring paks also. it ride really nice. i even towed my trailer quote a bit.

matt
'70 D-100, Ruffin,plum crazy/wht top,5.2 magnum.
'70 Roadrunner
'40 Dodge coupe
http://community.webshots.com/user/motomatt383
http://www.myspace.com/70runner

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Here is another option I ran across. 80s El Camino clip http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g090.html

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Simply amazine on how much time people spend trying to get brandX parts to work on Mopar :lol: :lol: Especially when it is so much easeir to use Mopar on Mopar http://www.sweptline.com/, or even easier to add what is needed to the existing frame with no frame cutting, all those hours that could be cut to nothing but a few minutes to add the upper control arms to the existing frame and use a "C" body cross member and add lower control arms, Simply amazing the extreme measures to make an unnatural swap happen, for what?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:Simply amazine on how much time people spend trying to get brandX parts to work on Mopar :lol: :lol: Especially when it is so much easeir to use Mopar on Mopar http://www.sweptline.com/, or even easier to add what is needed to the existing frame with no frame cutting, all those hours that could be cut to nothing but a few minutes to add the upper control arms to the existing frame and use a "C" body cross member and add lower control arms, Simply amazing the extreme measures to make an unnatural swap happen, for what?
Or how much time people will spend to get a all Mopar steering and disc brake setup when there are already good options out there. :thinking

Maybe people already have these vehicles laying around and find that they will work.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

I think your right, has to be the vehicles laying around for it the only thing they have to compare to.
the disc will keep it simple in the future when they need to be re done ie when you walk into the parts store, instead of saying I need a caliper from a 90 something and pads from a 90 something else, and springs from a whatmacallit, instead just 1 year and 1 vehicle for everything. we already know that the Rotors from a Dakota will go right on our existing spindle, just the outer bearing is metric and larger than the current bearing used on the Sweptlines, but no one has done any looking at other Dodge trucks or cars for that matter :thinking Crossover is more for performance

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston

Post by Seabee »

I can't speak to the ride quality with minus one spring yet, my steering box is currently lying in the back of the truck :lol:
But, I do know that before removal you could jump up and down on the front bumper and barely get the truck to move, and now it flexes up and down a bit, not soft feeling by any means. So; I suspect it will ride just a little softer but not too mushy.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

cantspel wrote: Right now with air shocks on all four corners, and just a little air, I've got 2.5-3" of clearance between the oil pan/axle,
Whats the part # for the front air shocks?

Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antone

Post by Outlaw »

Cantspel, thanks for the info. & that is one beautiful truck! Deffinetly post pics of it when your finished!
1967 D100 - Learning as I go...

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

shocks were the same on all four corners and were spec'ed for a cuda/challenger. I had to have the upper shock mount bolts for the front and rear turned down on a lathe to .500 diameter, but it was quick and cheap. From there its just a bolt on deal. I'll post some picks of the suspension to show how it looks when its all together. I appreciate the complements. I've been working on it so long that I've gotten numb to the looks. If all goes well I'm hoping to put some miles on it this weekend.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Thats when you'll see that it is all worth it :Thumbsup

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

This is how it looks now. And a few pics of the front suspension. Really drives nice. Sid at Dropped axles did a nice job with the axle. I welded the perches on before it was sent out. He drops em, sandblasts and magnafluxes em before he sends them back. Top notch fella and I would recommend him.
Attachments
66 3.JPG
66 2.JPG
66 1.JPG

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

rear is just a straight flip. I left some extra u bolt threads because I'm thinking about adding a 1" block. One pic shows the dropped and braced tie rod I had to make. And one pic is of the 4 link rod I bought today to sacrifice for a drag link. I mutalated mine during the experimental phase. Now that I know what I need, I'm going to make a good one.
Attachments
66 7.JPG
66 5.JPG
66 4.JPG

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston

Post by Seabee »

I LIKE the way that looks.

dodged200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: kokomo, IN

Post by dodged200 »

That is bad @#%. Can you come to Indiana to do mine now? :lol:

hemihydro135
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucsonaz

Post by hemihydro135 »

that is one cool truck! you do awsome work :clap :clap :clap
1968 SWB
1964 Crew Cab Power Wagon
1972 Plymouth Satellite

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Ditto,
I have to agree, I really like what you've done :Thumbsup I'm glad you have droped your straight axle truck, that has been a confusing subject for alot of truck owners I have been stuck in an apartment for 2 1/2 years and they literally come out and see what I'm doing when I raise the hood and its past 3 minutes.
Thanks for Posting

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

cantspel wrote:This is how it looks now. And a few pics of the front suspension. Really drives nice. Sid at Dropped axles did a nice job with the axle. I welded the perches on before it was sent out. He drops em, sandblasts and magnafluxes em before he sends them back. Top notch fella and I would recommend him.
Sids around the corner from me. I was thinking of taking my extra axle and having it dropped. How low is yours been dropped? I just noticed that if you have a flat your plowing the ground.

cantspel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by cantspel »

Absolutely. If you're after a safe scrub line, this is NOT the way to drop the truck. 2 flat front tires and I'm driving a plow down the highway. Only way around it would be big rims and small sidewalls. I'm not into that look. So I'll take my chances. But to answer your question, 3" was the amount of axle drop. Sid can drop em 4". I run 235/75R15's and ground clearance has been fine so far.