Lowering options?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
stakebed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: roseburg
State: OR

Re: Lowering options?

Post by stakebed »

I know what you mean with other projects, so little of summer left. I will let you know how it goes when I flip the axle, I did pick up some steel today for doing it, just need to carve out a day or two to get

ttop88
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 47362 IN.

Post by ttop88 »

I am finally back to the swepty. Got sidetracked with a few other builds. All other projects are finished and its time to make *#%^ happen. I have tried a few things to get the ride height I want, just couldnt get it where I wanted it. So, I started the hunt for a donor. I picked up this barn find today (the barn roof actually fell in on it)...lol Front clip, steering column, Engine ,tranny, all going in my truck. Along with the A/C and cruise control. Going to notch the rear frame, raise the top up to the bed and cut out a 3"ish notch(more if i"m able too safely) I am making a roll pan and pretty sure a 70 cuda tank will fit between the rear rails. That will get the tank out of the cab. Hope it all works.

stakebed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: roseburg
State: OR

Post by stakebed »

I picked up a 04 crown Vic almost a year ago for the front suspension and the darn thing runs to good to just take apart. 700 bucks for the whole car from a local towing outfit.it's an ex taxi and bright yellow lol

wayneswirld2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by wayneswirld2 »

I've been reading, and reading, and reading......my eyes are killin' me! But, I think I'm gonna make an attempt to pull some springs outta the crew cab tomorrow. I like the way it looks now, but I wanna LOVE the way it looks...if you know what I'm getting at.

Oh yeah, and a 413 tunnel ram motor is in the works...gotta get that slant outta the way first.

Wayno
Austin, TX

AJwestcoast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Mateo
State: CA

Post by AJwestcoast »

ttop88 wrote:Thanks cantspel, That is exactly what I wanted to know. I love the look of the dropped section in the front fender. I plan to run 18s and 20s on mine so with the drastic amount of drop it will still not be as low as yours. I just want the wheel wells to look stuffed. And yes, I do plan to run 4 wheel discs.

ttop88! im trying to go in this direction with my own truck, [20 in SRT-10 rims(dnt steal my idea) lol.] i was wondering if you had any pictures of where all of this ended up for you?? and what exactly you ended up doing, if you could post any photos or helpfull information that'd be appreciatedd!!
:clap :clap nice looking trucks, guys
-AJ

howard37
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maryville
State: TN

Post by howard37 »

i have 1965 dodge d100 sweptline. i want to lower it alittle. i read somewhere that you could take 2nd and 4th leaf spring out of front and the two bottom ones ot of the rear leaf springs at it would lower it 3'' in front and 2-3/4'' in rear. new shocks and no bump steer and still drives good, only changes steering sheel position, that is easy fix....... will this work..;??????? thanks .... also a guy told me you make the fornt and rear shackles longer and let roll over more and it would lower the truck also.... thanks in advance howard37

mikebell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: booneville
State: AR

Post by mikebell »

howard37,
I bought my 69 swepty swb last year. The previous owner had lowered the truck just like you're wanting to do to yours. It drove real good.It steered real well, really the only negative was that the tie rod hit and rubbed the oil pan on the engine. My truck had a LA318 rear sump oil pan. I had to remove a section of the oil pan and weld in a notch for the tie rod to clear. I also had to move the oil pump pickup screen over about 1" to clear the pan. I've tore the truck down and sold the motor so I can't send any pic's.

mikebell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mikebell »

I wouldn't mess with the shackle lenght.

howard37
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by howard37 »

Thanks for info...my truck has a 5 spring pack. Was your truck 4 or 5 spring pack ..?? Thanks

mikebell
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mikebell »

howard37,

I don't know for sure if my truck had 4 or 5 leaf springs because the previous owner already had the truck lowered when I bought it. Here are some pictures of my rear spring packs. I sold the whole front axle assembly the other day, so I don't have any pic's of the spring's. sorry.
Attachments
IMG_20150128_182500.jpg
IMG_20150128_182521.jpg
IMG_20150128_182531.jpg
IMG_20150128_182540.jpg

howard37
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by howard37 »

Thank you very much, for info and pics...

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

cantspel wrote:I guess I should come clean about 1 thing

My names not really cantspel

Its Neil
Neil !? been following your thread , I wondered why you would not just de arch the leaf springs or flip them to get the same stance as flipping the axle ???????????

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

got my sids -3 axle today thanks Randy !

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

to dropp your truck and have not steering issue's can be accomplishe 1 of 2 ways.
1. www.eatonsprings.com will send you springs that will drop the truck 3" and keep your good ride. cost $430.00

does anyone have a part number for those springs?

Peero
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles

Post by Peero »

I found these Front Springs....users on Facebook mentioned they where a bolt on for sweptlines and give a drop as well:

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php ... ts_id=1496

fosterfarm
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gilroy

Post by fosterfarm »

Peero wrote:I found these Front Springs....users on Facebook mentioned they where a bolt on for sweptlines and give a drop as well:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php ... ts_id=1496
How much of a drop do they give?

guthriesmith
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Guthrie
State: OK

Post by guthriesmith »

New here, but just finished lowering a 63 D100 with a 3" axle from Sid and longer shackles and flipped spring hangers on the rear. Ended up with a 3" front and 3-1/2" rear drop. I didn't mess with any leaves in the springs and can document everything I did in a "tech" thread here if anyone is interested. Truck rode like stock, no interferences anywhere, and sat good when done. If it were mine, I might have gone a little lower, but the owner wanted it to sit like it does.

Before:
IMG_2759.JPG
After:
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3075.JPG