Aerostar IFS

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Rusty_Quarters
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Madera
State: CA

Re: Aerostar IFS

Post by Rusty_Quarters »

Finally Got a good day to get something done on the IFS install, went to woodley park Spring Fling, got motivated and came home and got started, hardly any sweptys there by the way, seen 4 and they were not in show just hauling swap meet stuff, so I got home, and put the truck on jack stands and took all of the old straight beam front end out, then I ground off the rivets on the motor mounts, took them off, and the steering gear box, once down to bare frame, I put the aerostar IFs under the truck and jacked it up, OH, I marked the centerline of the old straight beam before removing it, it comes out almost inline with the hole in the side of the frame that the brake hose goes through. anyway, after getting the aerostar setup under the truck, I found out that it fits really well, even without cutting the frame, it fits the frame almost like it was made for it, and with it under there if I wanted stock ride height, this would probably be very simple, but, I want it low, so I marked where it would fit under the truck frame when the centerline of the hubs matched up with the original centerline of the straight beam, then I measured up 2 inches from the bottom of the frame, and cut a couple of notches in the bottom of the frame so it would sit up in the frame, fits way better that I expected, looks good, I still need to sort out boxing plates for the inside of the frame rails and once everything is mocked up, I will start final welding everything, I am going to mock up boxing plates, motor mounts, all of it first, then blow it apart and final weld. I think I can use portions of the original motor mount brackets, we will see, Still have to roll the rack and pinion backwards toward the cab, as shown on the Ford link above on this thread, but it looks like it is going to be a snap as well, So far very pleased, my sons prom is tonight so unfortunately, wife hijacked camera, but, as soon as I get all mocked up, and when I blow it apart, I will document my process. Still have to make a couple pieces of channel to mount the upper control arms to, but by using the original bolt pattern from the aerostar for mounting locations, that will not be difficult either, in about 5 hours, I got the hardest part of this thing wooped, I will post more when I have more, also pics. Later
:lol:
To my son "...its not always important what I said, its important cause I said it." KEA

70 Dodge D100 no longer 4x4
68 Dodge Superbee (Real not Clone)
68 Jeep Jeepster
2007 Honda Civic SI
2005 Nissan Pathy

Soliddrummer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Soliddrummer »

Im so glad you got started on this project. I was at the spring fling as well, pretty sad to see only swepty haulers there, no nice builds, last year there was a really nice stock looking restoration of a 64 and that wasnt even around this year. PLEASE PLEASE document everything your doing so us copycats can steal the secrets to all your hard work. Templates for gussets? Measurements? Anything and everything...
1967 short wide d-100. 318 4 speed.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

bump for pics

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

oklamopar wrote:bump for pics
I haven't seen the OP on here in quite some time so he might not see this.

I have some Sweptline/Aerostar pictures saved on my work computer but I won't have access until later this week.

Soliddrummer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Soliddrummer »

I'd really like to see those Aerostar photos as well. I'm super interested in this swap.

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

Thanks soopernaut.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Here are the only pictures I have. It was for sale in Canada last year so I copied the pictures. It appears that they might not have changed the rack angle like Rusty Quarters mentioned.

Rusty_Quarters
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Madera
State: CA

Post by Rusty_Quarters »

Havent been on here in a long time, the pictures show the aerostar front crossmember before it was cut to clearance for the rack steering, you have to "roll" the rack steering column connection point backwards and reweld the rack mounts at a new angle, while clearancing the crossmember for the correct angle.
glad to see some interest in this set up, I have been working on other projects for the past year or so, my 68 superbee, and my son who owns the truck has moved to washington state, but left the half finished truck here for me to stare at when I get tired of staring at the superbee.

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

Post by Dood »

I know Rusty_Quarters isn't on a lot recently, but I was standing around waiting for my wife and there was an Aerostar next to me. I remembered this thread and looked up underneath. Rusty mentioned here that a stock ride height could probably be achieved without mods to the clip or frame. But from what I saw, I can't envision how the 3/4 ton could get a close to stock ride with that IFS. Seems like you would be looking at a 4" drop just bolting it up. Anyone else have an opinion?

tylers18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cheyenne

Post by tylers18 »

this sounds really cool! the solid axel in the front i have always hated on these trucks so i will be following your install and see if its something i can tackle!

edit: didnt see the 2nd page. i will be doing research and looking for other aerostar installs. i know welding it it will be cake but getting it all straight for alignment will be some work

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

There is some more Aerostar info at the bottom of this thread.

http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23989

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Tyler, the Aerostar set up is the second easiest IFS swap, nets you decent brakes and good steering. I drove an 86 Aerostar for years. The only other "easy option" is the Mustang 2 kit from Fatman, site lists it as fitting 33-64 Dodge trucks, pretty sure the frames are the same 61-71.

The beam axle and leaf springs have a lot going for them. And a simple spring slider lining addition cures any ill ride issues. Puts the 69-71 "cushioned beam" slider buttons to shame. Full length lining between each leaf. Less than $50 to do both sides. Add a Scarebird or similar disc brake kit, and call it done. You get a better ride, better brakes, and keep it a truck, instead of neutering it with IFS.

Have to have rack and pinion steering? Easy, look at a Freightliner Cascadia, beam axle, air ride optional, r&p optional. Clone their design in miniature.

tylers18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tylers18 »

thats not a bad idea. i cant decide if i want to go sb, bb or 6bt cummins so if i go with the aerostar or mustang 2 ifs i wouldnt put a cummins over them so would be limited on options. im not a fan of the king pin set up but really dont have anything to base that on just preference i guess. where can i find some more info on the sliders? i cant say i have ever heard about them before or at least havent heard them refered to as sliders.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Spring liner is the more common marketing name. Easiest source is Speedway Motors... http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flat-Spri ... ,7471.html Measure your spring width, order accordingly.

As to engine choices... SB either a poly 318 or the LA/Magnum 360, as LA 318s are gutless wonder gas hogs w/o some work done to them. My choice would be a big block, 383 is sufficient for 90% of the use our trucks get, but of you want the "WTF is THAT" factor go 413 or 426 with a cross ram manifold. Diesels look neat, run great, but feeding them has gotten pricey.

tylers18
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by tylers18 »

i would love diesel so i could still tow anything with the ease that only comes with a diesel as well as the fun factor but the price to get all the parts and doing the swap and all would be expensive! o well i dont want to thread jack so back to suspension!! how much engine weight can the aerostar ifs handle? i would like it to handle like a old muscle car so not crazy cornering ability but enough where i can push it around a track or mountain corners and have the car stick

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

They came with 4 cylinders, 3.0 or 4.0 V6 engines. Small block is heavier than those, but, you can run whatever you want with a spring swap. The V6 that replaced the slant 6 is adequate for a short bed 1/2 ton. Unless you plan to tow a camper or car trailer, there again, a 360 truck/van engine and matching transmission is all you need. The Aerostar unit can fit an LA or magnum with no worries, 302/351 with C4/C5 transmission conversions in the van wasn't that uncommon after they aged out and grenaded a few A4LD transmissions (worst automatics ever made, bar none).