brakes

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
chargerandpowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arvada
State: CO

brakes

Post by chargerandpowerwagon »

My question is about brakes on my 66 Charger. I know it's not a Sweptline, but that ones a work in progress. I am having a problem getting it to whoa! Everything is new, Everything! Brake pedal is very hard to push. Put in a different push rod behind the master cylinder. Gave me a better brake pedal than befor but still no brakes. Does anyone have a suggestions? :banghead :censored
1966 Charger
1970 D 100 Powerwagon
2007 Caravan
2005 Stratus

Oneadm1210
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Carlos, CA

Re: brakes

Post by Oneadm1210 »

Hey... i had the same thing happen to my Chevy. i put a disc brake conversion kit on it. When i first set up the master cylinder and the push rods i put the long push rod in therefore when i put on the brakes I had a extremely hard pedal. So I changed out the push rod for the smaller one and then it work, but when i would bleed the whole system no brake fluid was coming out. So i changed the master cylinder because i busted the seals in the master cylinder.

Codger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: GA

Post by Codger »

chargerandpowerwagon wrote:Everything is new, Everything!
If you have no brakes at all, you most likely have a master cylinder problem.

If you have some brakes but just not very good, it could be that only the rears are working (probably still the
master cylinder).

Did you put the short shoes to the front?

powertothepdub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by powertothepdub »

there is an equilizer hole in the bottom of the resivoir that must open when the pedal is released,if the rod is adjusted to long you usually get 1 pump and then a hard pedal but no brakes. try shortening the rod first

Oneadm1210
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Carlos, CA

Post by Oneadm1210 »

Codger wrote:
chargerandpowerwagon wrote:If you have no brakes at all, you most likely have a master cylinder problem.

If you have some brakes but just not very good, it could be that only the rears are working (probably still the
master cylinder).
Why do you have to steal all my thunder!!! :shame :moom

Codger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: GA

Post by Codger »

Oneadm1210 wrote:Why do you have to steal all my thunder!!! :shame :moom
I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean?

chargerandpowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Will try to shorten the rod and bleed the brakes. Haven't ever had to open the bottom plug befor but will try anything to stop the beast! Put to much time and $$ into it, and would like to drive the car. High temp today 65 here in the Mile high city! :thinking
1966 Charger
1970 D 100 Powerwagon
2007 Caravan
2005 Stratus

Jeremiah
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Klamath Falls, OR

Post by Jeremiah »

I too have a '66 Charger and ran the original 10" drums w/ 11" fronts (upgraded from the j/y). I would put the car on jack stands and have someone step on the brake while you check to see if the wheels turn. Chances are, as said above, you may only be using the front or rear braking system. You might have an issue w/ the pedal push-rod, lines, etc. but none of those should be a big deal to fix. Also, are the brakes adjusted correctly? I saw one guy put the adjusters on the wrong sides and he eventually had no brakes.

/(Duh)/ I should have asked this 1st...do you have a single or dual pot master cylinder?

Jeremiah
Attachments
05-11-07_2026 (Medium).jpg

chargerandpowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

It works! Pulled themaster cykinder one more time. Benck bled it again and adjusted the push rod from master to vacume booster and everything works now! :dance Now just have to adjust the shoes a bit. After a year of messing around the go fast mobile has stoping power!
Now my next question who can do something about the gas prices so I could afford to put $3.50 a gal. gas into it?
1966 Charger
1970 D 100 Powerwagon
2007 Caravan
2005 Stratus

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

It must be time for us all to ask for a raise!!! :Thumbsup